Thermostat Question

• livetofishmn
    Mankato, Mn

So I have 1995 silverado. My heat does not work. The blower works but I just don’t get heat, its not ice cold but not warm either. Also my temp gauge in the truck does not move, stays all the way to the left, even after driving for hours. The coolant level is fine too. I’m thinking its the thermostat, any ideas? I plan on replacing it myself, any tips?

I suppose it could also be the core?

Thanks

AverageSportsman
    SE MN

Sounds like the thermostat to me. Should be fairly straight forward job, remove old thermostat and gasket replace with new one. Should have heat again, the way this winter is going your going to need it. Good luck

herb
    6ft under

Thermostat is stuck open would be my guess.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Thermostat is shot. Easy job, less than a hour
    Just make sure to scrape off all the old gasket from both parts.

Ron

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

That’ll be real easy to replace too, just time consuming in this cold weather.

Just follow the big hose on top of the radiator to the engine, and that’ll be where it is on that engine I’m fairly sure. If you’ve got the 305 or 350 in there, it’ll be easy. I’ve changed em on both, so you know if I can do it, you’ll have no prob!

If I remember right, that has a rubber gasket that goes around the circumference of the ‘stat, which makes it even better because you’re not scraping the old gasket off with a screwdriver. Let us know if this helps, sure hope it does.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

So I’ve noticed on my ’98 Explorer that the engine has been running cooler than normal over the past few months (before winter set in), but I still get heat and the needle does not drop below the normal range. Although it does hit the low end of the range and then it bounces back up. Is this a sign that my thermostat is on the way out and sticking open or other? If I were to replace it do I follow the top hose from the radiator to the engine?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

If I were to replace it do I follow the top hose from the radiator to the engine?

Yep, it is very easy to replace. What you descibe might be the start of it going.

Ron

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

If you are ever interested in confirming that the old thermostat was the problem, toss it in a pot of water and, using a cooking thermometer, heat to above 200 degrees.
    If the thermosat does not open/close you have confirmed the problem.
    It is kind of a mute point, because after going through the effort to remove the old one, you are obviously going to install a new one, but still kind of interesting.
    Good luck.
    cheers

livetofishmn
    Mankato, Mn

Thanks for the replies guys! I’m gonna go ahead and replace it when i get a little time. I’ll post back when I get it fixed. thanks again

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.