household bug spray tips

• cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

i’ve been reading a lot of posts both here and on other forums with alternatives to using bugspray to keep those pesky critters away from you. i thought it might be worth starting a thread here, especially with all the rain we have gotten recently.. if you dont mind sharing a few secrets on how to keep those gosh darn critters at bay, please share them here.

ill start with a couple of the more interesting ones i found: i havent tested it yet, but i was reading on a duck hunting forum that if you dab a drop of vanilla extract on your neck/head, that it will repel gnats.

another one, also untested by me… someone on this site (im sorry, i dont remember where i saw the post) suggested that placing a few dryer sheets in the boat wards off the flies.

shermanator
    Nebraska

I have yet to field test this, but my neighbor swears by listerine mouth wash. Says it kills them dead. Anybody else use it?

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I have used the vanilla and the dryer sheets before and I can say the dryer sheets work…..Just pin one to your hat and you’re in business. It may look a little odd but you’re not trying to win a fashion contest……….you’re trying to keep bugs from driving you nuts!!!

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I bought some biting fly repelent for my lab. (She got so bit up on her face one day at the cabin that her eyes were swollen shut . I felt terrible…) This stuff worked great! I put some on my feet while fishing as the horseflys were around and they went away fast! Cannot remember the name of it but I got it at my vet office …RR

tweedlap11

Listerine…Do you have to spit it on them or just have them gargle a little?

jim

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

also for misquitoes, if you have s little bit of sulfer, and while you are out sweating, your sweat will also contain sulfer and you won’t get bit as much by them, used to do it while training in the jungle, eat a few matches here and there and also our sulfer tablets. not sure how well it worked, I was just tring to figure out ways to cool down.

shane

rangerski
    North Metro

Hooah, you mean salt peter? lol

pantherpop
    Kalispell, MT

Quote:

Listerine…Do you have to spit it on them or just have them gargle a little?

jim

Soak them in it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

eat a few matches here and there

Some researchers recommend that children, women of childbearing age, pregnant women, and
    nursing mothers, not at significant risk for sudden cardiac death associated with coronary heart
    disease, should obtain omega-3 fatty acids from supplements (Hites et al., 2004a; Foran et al.,
    2005a; Huang et al., 2006; Smith & Sahyoun, 2005; Wilson, 2004). However, MATCH HEADS and
    supplements may also contain methylmercury, PCBs and other contaminants.

Although the above quote is in jest…I’m thinking…not sure though, that there might be a better way to keep a bug off a person than eating match heads. I might need to think about this a bit more though.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

…but more back on track…sort of…

The fabric softener sheets are great for keeping mice out of areas. I’m a believer!

After reading this post, I’m now going to take a few along on my next catfish adventure. They are so thick at times it’s like breathing solid air!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.