How high is gas going to go?

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m going for the Star Trek tele porter.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

How about this as a Bio option. Seems a little better than corn, and save land for the hunters. Algea

If that doesn’t work though I’ll take a teleporter. Hey will you be able to teleport a boat?!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Right kooty, here in town theres a company called Clipper windmills and thier making those big hightech windmills and heres how much power just one mill can produce. The guy that told me this worked for Clipper and he said just one mill can produce enough electricity to power the Kirkwood college capus here in town, around 400 acres or more. Not only the whole campus and all its 4 or 5 multi story buildings, including all the outer building for all the livestock research, but all 15 or 20-20 plex student houseing buildings. This includes any further expansion in the next 15 or 20 years plus still have enough power left over to sell back to the utility company, from just one mill. This includes all the machine and welding shops, lights and air conditioning in all those buildings. I don’t remember the exact figues he gave to me but just one mill puts out alot of electricity.The college is seriously thinking about buying one and probably will because its on one of the highest hills in this eastern part of the state.

Those big windfarms must put out alot of megawatts. Theres one of those windfarms thats got over 100 mills going west on hwy 20 out of waterloo Iowa about 50-60 miles. Theres enough of them that while I was driving I quit counting when I hit 100 and there was still more as I drove by for about 2 miles. I know the farm was atleast a mile deep with mills. It was pretty impressive seeing that many wide and that many deep as you drove by, makes you feel like things are going in the right direction. It had to be a major investment for the untility company because there was alot of money standing there in those fields.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

you can thank Enron for those energy farms over by Storm Lake. They started the process, just ran out of money for some reason!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Id like to hear the story about that investment, do they even produce electricity into the grid?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Id like to hear the story about that investment, do they even produce electricity into the grid?

If they can spin your electric meter the other way then it goes into the grid, some get paid by the power company, just imagine that! I’m sure you need special hook-ups and meter.

kooty
    Keymaster

They installed a wind farm in my home county in SD. Not sure where the power goes, but it’s really changed the landscape. Can’t say I like it, but I believe in 20 years I won’t notice them just like I don’t notice the old Jones place. The flippin’ wind blows in SD and ND everday, seems silly not to harnous that power. I’m sure the infrastructure to get power of the state was significant, but what isn’t. It’s all a start!!!

I see Great River energy in Maple Grove also just started there single tower on there new building. It would be cool to see what one or two towers costs for small communities to invest in.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Yeah there was this show on the History channel about “green” technology. I believe the show said if you covered 10% of Nevada with solar panels OR 10% on North Dakota with windmills, that would generate enough power for the entire US. It would be nice if someone would look into that.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

My old man is a project manager for MDU resources and he’s been in Texas off and on for 3 years now coordinating windmill projects. Lets just say MDU is making making a haul.

Anyway, back to how I can afford to drive the ol chevy

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Matt, ask him if he knows Fred Tuckner. My Dad has been doing it for the last 15 years. He has been down in Texas too recently.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I seen a program about 10 years ago about a study of how much power could be made if generators were put into the dams on the mississippi. Congress alloted $100,000 for a study and after the study was complete, about 1 year, it was determined that every lightbulb, electric motor of all sizes, everything that uses electricity within 1000 miles on each side of the Missiissippi could run.

Thats just the Mississippi river, what about the Missouri, Ohio, Tennesse and all the other rivers where generators could be put. A thousand miles on each side of just the Mississippi river is an area from the east coast to the rocky mountains, thats 2/3rds of the United States. With the wind farms that are being built plus the generators in the dams it sounds to me that all the power thats needed to run America could be supplied cleanly. I wonder how come there isn’t anymore thought going into the dams producing what America needs. Is it just a trendy direction idea with the power that solar and wind can produce and thats leaving out the idea of generating power from the dams in the central and eastern part of the United States. It seems to me all that power that could be made from those dams is going to waist.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I agree on hydro, but I’m not sure that wind and solar are just trendy. Fly into Amsterdam and notice the huge wind farm that is out in the ocean. That history channel show had a piece on the FedEx distribution center and I think it said 95% (they originally estimated it at 80%) of its power comes from solar and they are even putting power back into the grid. I found the website of the company involved. There seems to be a lot of companies, cities in Europe, federal buildings, and several military bases using solar now. There are a bunch of case studies. It is pretty interesting read. sun power

But this is a bit off subject since I don’t know how this will help us figure out how high gas is going to go.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

If it wasnt for the tree hugging enviromentalists,lobbyists and polititions getting greased by the big companies we would have this problem solved in no time.

kooty
    Keymaster

Dan,

SD, ND and MT have several hydro dams. Unfortunately I don’t think the Mississippi river valley could handle the massive changes it would take to implement such monsters.

They aren’t the most environmentally friendly either. Take up a lot of acres and and are controled by the shipping barge industry in the south. Sadly, the affects on the Missouri river have been quite negative at times due to the dams.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.