Do it yourself question…

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

So i really want to mount some animal this year, and i want to try my hand at taxidermy. I’m going to start small, such as a fish or a duck, preferably a duck.

Has anyone tried this, and are there any good websites or books, videos, ect, that one would recommend?

I’m hoping to get some more shots at some Drake wood ducks, but i’m leaning towards trying a drake mallard since they are plentiful and from what i’ve read, may be the easiest to do.

Thanks in advance!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

The guys I know that have done their own taxidermy all took a night class at the local technical college. I don’t think it is a really long class, but it teaches you the basics. You might want to look into something like that. Good luck, sounds like fun.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

You have a PM Dylan.

Ryan Hale

col._klink
    St Paul

I would start with a duck. Mallards are pretty easy. Do a standing mount on a piece of driftwood. You wont have to worry about the wings looking to perfect.

Be sure to get ALL the meat, fat and marrow out. I would hate to hear that your first mount started crawling a couple weeks after you finished it.

Fish are harder than birds and if you dont have a air brush painting them can be diffcult.

If you need help send me a pm. Have fun and once you start you are hooked!

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

check out Van Dyke taxidermy supply
    or Wasco taxidermy supply they both have good books and supplys

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

So i really want to mount some animal this year, and i want to try my hand at taxidermy….

I sure hope you are expressing a single desire here and not two separate activities!

kruger
    Metro,mn

Quote:

Quote:

So i really want to mount some animal this year, and i want to try my hand at taxidermy….

I sure hope you are expressing a single desire here and not two separate activities!

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

I knew someone was going to think about that one!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.