Knee Surgery Complications – Advice Needed!

• carpking
    Janesville, WI.

My knee surgery didnt go so well after all last Wednesday. Here I am 7 days later with what they say is a hematoma the size of a baseball on my left side of knee, and severe swelling of the knee and my entire leg is black and blue. Still can’t put much weight on it and it takes a few minutes after standing for the lower leg pain to subside enough to even walk at all. I had 50% of my meniscus removed and a lateral release of the knee cap done. Others whom I have talked to have had meniscus work done have been up and normal after just a few days. Has anyone experianced a lateral release before or had similar problems? I have basically been bed ridden for an entire week now – driving me crazy!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Get that infection taken care of or whatever is causing your hematoma and them get in to see a Physical Therapist. You have a lot of years left on that leg, better to do it right from the start.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

I don’t know what you had done. I had dislocated my knee several times and broke a bone partical off the back side. I had it cut open to remove the partical, it was like the size of your finger nail. I had throbbing pain for 1-week and had cruches I think for 2-weeks. I could hardly bend it at all. The physical theropy was intense and painfull but it worked. After each session they would bend your leg and hold it to increase the movement.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

Paul I hope all heals well. our prayers are with you
    I know from personal experence the fear and reality of the worst outcome. have a positive mental outlook it will help you heal. YOU WILL GET BETTER!!
    don’t worry the fish ain’t biting anyway..and huntin ain’t started yet.. you got itme to heal
    get well

gordonk
    mpls

After years of poor results, I finally got my acl repaired and it’s been as good as new. The difference is I went to a sports medicine doctor that specialized in knees! Now, there is now way in hell your insurance company will let you go to a sports doc, unless you happen to be playing for the Badgers. Here’s how I did it, with the advice of an attorney friend that works for an HMO.

I found the doctor I wanted, and after seeing my regular doctor to get the ball rolling, I called the HMO and requested that I see my preferred doctor for the followups. The reason I gave was that since I’m a broker, and a very busy individual, my regular office was too, far away, and the doctor I wanted was just a five minute drive from here. She never batted an eye and oked the request instantly. Had I said I want him, because he’s the best in town, she’d have told me NOOOOOOO!!!

I’ve had two other friends that have pulled this routine, one after two botched surgeries and they both came out great. You have to play the insurance game to get the best doctors. You deserve the best care you can get. Get a second opinion, but find a sports medicine doc and find a way to see him. Good luck.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Went to see Dr. today. they attempted to drain the hemotoma and did get some out but not much. He then gave me a cortisone shot to try and relieve some pain. I gotta tell you – I am a very active person and this has seriously set me back. The mental and physical anguish is unbelievable. If I never see the inside of my house again after this I will never complain. Being self employed, every down minute is money lost! And…my grass is 3 feet high…lol! Having this surgery was the right choice, I dont think about that for a minute. My problem is that I need to have timelines and I cant put a date on when this will be better – drives me absolutely insane. Anyone have similar surgery and an idea of time frame?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Lou,

I’ve had both knees reconstructed over the years. When I toasted my right knee, I tore the ACL and MCL clean through, and tore the PCL about 75% of the way. I also had some meniscus damage. I had it in a splint for three months after a 7.5 hour surgery. After the splint came off, it took me 11 months of rehab before I had full range of motion back. 2 months after completing rehab, I wrecked it again and had 2 more surgeries. Works good now though.

My other knee was only a torn ACL and a torn meniscus. I opted to try to go without the ACL as my days of competitive sports had passed and the doctor said I didn’t need an ACL. For the next year I struggled with the torn meniscus and finally ended up having surgery to fix both. I had problems with scar tissue building up in that kneee and they tried cortisone injections. First one worked for a couple weeks. Second one worked for a month. They would only do three and said they would have to do surgery if the third shot didn’t work. Had the third shot 8 years ago and have not had the scar tissue problem again. Sticking the needle in behind my kneecap for the cortisone injections hurt more than anything.

The point to this story is that it can be a long haul to full recovery. Do ALL the exercises they tell you to do. The more rehab you skip, the longer you will be laid up. Good luck and I hope it comes around for you.

parksservices

Had same thing happen to me last year and drained etc for a while and it finally got better. better now than before surgery but on stationary bike alot to keep joint tight and strong. advise same with yours, to wait it out and take it slow till it feels ready to get busy, then get busy.

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

Get that infection taken care of or whatever is causing your hematoma and them get in to see a Physical Therapist. You have a lot of years left on that leg, better to do it right from the start.

Sounds like a husband of a PT Scott, my father in law really appreciated your wife’s help during both his knee surgeries

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.