Knee Surgery

• carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Heading in today for long awaited knee surgery, looking forward to a couple hours uninterrupted anesthesia sleep and a pain free few years! Rehab of 6 plus weeks….so that means next Monday I will be fishing! Sadly…I am going to miss my Erie trip!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Good luck Lou!

Jami

StaleMackrel

Good for you! Trust me when this is all over you will say why did I not get that done earlier. Sometimes like in my case it could not be done earlier. In 1959 I tore my medial collateral ligiment, my anterior collateral ligament, and my posterior collateral ligament. Then in 1960 I tore my medial meniscus. Later in 1965 I tore my lateral meniscus. So from 1965 until 2000 I was without cartilage and in pain every day! Since my knee replacement in 2000 by Dr. Kurland at Olmsted Medical Clinic I have been pain free. I will be going for my 7 year check up later this month! Trust me Lou, make sure you do the exercises prescribed and do not cheat on those exercises! I forgot to say that in 1999 I had clean out surgery which was done orthroscoptic. I am sure you will be fine but remember to do the rehab exercises with intensity!

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

Lou fishing is NOT rehab, it’s therapy. Hope it all goes well.

CaptainAnchor
    Floyd, IA

As a Physical Therapist I cannot agree more to stick with the recommended rehab. However, a day on the water seems to soothe all my aches and pains! Good Luck and keep us working fools in mind when setting the hook. OUT….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Take your doctor out fishing…tell him he could use a little rehab too!

Good luck!

nascarfan
    stillwater,minnesota

Lou.
    i had my surgery a little over a year ago, and i went fishing 4 days after, i bent down to crank the boat on and i heard it tear. , went back to the dock 6 months later for mri and they told me it tore again.(also had bone on bone) nothing they do for me now, told me to come back when i can’t walk. so be careful dude, stay on the machine and do what they say.GOOD LUCK

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I had a total right knee replacement done several years ago and it is certainly worth it. Make sure you do your excercises, they are a MUST, and everything will be great. Painfull at first but no pain no gain with this. Sure glad I had it done.
    Thanks, Bill

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Lou,

I missed my spring trip to Erie this year because of my knee. I had a surgery scheduled for last summer, but decided against it because my wife was pregnant and I really didn’t want it. Forward to this June. I scheduled it for the last day of school because my wife is a teacher. The surgery went well, but I tried to do too much and didn’t follow all of the exercises after surgery. I had a little accident and caused it to blow up to the size of a melon again and PT got pushed back a month after the surgery. I have since gotten a large portion of my range back but not perfect yet. We are starting to do some strengthening exercises now. So my best advice would be: 1) Take it easy. 2) Everytime you think of fishing…Do your therapy.

Good Luck and Erie will only be better next year.

FDR

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Well, surgery went to the unexpected variety. My meniscus went from a repairable status prior to surgery to having 50% removed during surgery. Also had a lateral release done on kneecap. I will be needing more surgery within the next year to repair some arthritis issues. All in all things are good, catching up on some lost sleep and feeling pretty good. Looking forward to rehab and getting back on my feet so to speak.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.