Open Letter to Outdoor News and Joe Fellegy.

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Then there’s lying!

This letter is in response to Joe Fellegy’s June 15, 2007 “Rocking the Boat” column in the Outdoor News. (www.outdoornews.com) Specifically the section of that article titled “Then there’s stealing”

After several ignored requests for the Outdoor News and Joe Fellegy to print a retraction and apologize. Or even acknowledge that there is a problem with what was written. It’s apparent to me that Joe Fellegy is an outright liar making up the story and Outdoors News could care less about the readers they offend by printing it!

Shame on you Joe Fellegy for making up and printing such a slanderous story. A story accusing 2 teams in a walleye tournament of cheating. No evidence what so ever to support your claims. A story that has damaged the reputations of four men. A story that could cause future financial and career damage to two of these guys. A story that has all four of these men still shaking their heads in total shock and disbelief!

Furthermore, Rob Drieslein, the editors and staff at the Outdoor News are negligent in doing their jobs to let a completely untrue story make it to press. It’s quite apparent that the story was a total fabrication. Do the editors even read what they plan to print? Do they plan to continue to employ a slanderous liar on their staff ? If you were an advertiser or subscriber would you continue do business with them? I will not.

I continue to call on the Ourdoor News and Joe Fellegy to print a retraction and submit a written apology to all four of these people. I ask that if you have a subscription to this weekly newspaper that you immediately cancel it and demand a refund. I ask you to avoid doing business with any of that paper’s advertisers. And I ask that if you agree with my position on this matter you forward your comments along with a printed copy of this letter to Outdoor News.

Jon Jordan
    St Paul, Mn.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I wont be buying anymore of those papers..

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Jon it is a done deal, I’ve allready canceled my subcription. I’ll also send them a letter & call them again.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Sounds to me like you did receive a response from a true liar and tabloid, none!

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

I 100% agree with your right to critize ON, write editorials and post messages explaining your position. However, I don’t agree asking IDA’ers to boycott their advertisers. Two reasons: 1) Many are on contracts and their ads are set weeks in advance and 2) They are trying to reach the outdoor audience and, in turn, support outdoor publications and the industry. It could be that they are not aware of the matter.

It’s my opinion that if you feel strongly about this matter, call or talk to an ON advertiser, tell them your opinion and the publication’s situation and let them choose their response. If they agree with you, they too can contact the publication or cancel ads. It’s unfair to blindside their advertisers.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

I disagree with on that, you should talk to the advertisers they can get the editor to responed to them because the custmers can’t get him to responed to them. So boycott the advertisers.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Quote:

I disagree with on that, you should talk to the advertisers they can get the editor to responed to them because the custmers can’t get him to responed to them. So boycott the advertisers.

Don’t you think you should contact an advertiser first, to make them aware of the situation? That way they can either: 1) contact the publication and voice their displeasure, 2) cancel ads or 3) do nothing. If they choose #3 – then it would be fair to bouycot them, if you so choose . . .

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

I’ve sent two emails & called three time plus canceled my subcription. Still I couldn’t get a response for the editor. I think it is now fair to start boycotting the advertisers. Then maybe someone could get a response.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I just called and cancelled. They did not seemed to be to concerned about it. I told them that I do enjoy the publication; but I cannot condone an editorial calling people cheaters without any evidence of cheating. And the fact that ODN want say or do a thing about it makes my course clear. Cancel.

The people in question have sterling reputations and did nothing to warrant the attack. ODN needs to show some integrity. And IDA members need to re-consider their support of ODN if they are subscribers.

Joel Ellingson

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

My sub. runs out in 3 weeks they have until then to change my mind

chappy
    Hastings, MN

What Erick said! 3 weeks fellas…….What a bunch of Bull!

col._klink
    St Paul

I dont get that paper I read most of my articles on line.

Jon can you post the article?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Fisherman J,

Quote:

I 100% agree with your right to critize ON, write editorials and post messages explaining your position. However, I don’t agree asking IDA’ers to boycott their advertisers.

I fell a little short of calling for an all out Boycott. I’ll admit, it’s going to be very hard to steer clear of heavy weights such as Gander Mountain, Cabella’s, Sportmen’s Werehouse and many of the local boat dealers. I will however tell them how I feel about Outdoor News. It may take the rest of summer, but I will not be ignored.

Mark Steffes,

Quote:

I’ve sent two emails & called three times plus canceled my subcription. Still I couldn’t get a response for the editor.

I know exactly how you feel, Mark. Same thing here. No response what so ever.

drewsdad

Quote:

The people in question have sterling reputations and did nothing to warrant the attack. ODN needs to show some integrity. And IDA members need to re-consider their support of ODN if they are subscribers.

Thank you for the support, Joel. I appreciate it.

colklink83

Quote:

I dont get that paper I read most of my articles on line.

The article does not exist on-line.

-J.

birddog
    Mn.

I read that article, had to go back today and reread it as I didn’t recall ANY of what your saying. Still don’t see it. Did anyone happen to read the first paragraph? I’d type the entire article if I was sure I wasn’t infringing. I just had to re-reread the article, still don’t see why panties are in a bunch, it’s a good article as always by Joe Fellegy and he in no way singled out anyone. Jon, if anyone needs to apologize here I say maybe it should come from you….your the only person here or in the ODN naming names and dragging names through the mud. This is my opinion. Again, reread the first paragraph, pay attention to the words….skeptical, baseless, paranoia, and jealousy. Reread it again, still don’t get it?? Do people not read articles in their entirety? Or is it just scan, pull out and pick at what you don’t like.

Joe, I read your article every time, I always enjoy your words. I’ll continue to subscribe and read every article front to back. The ODN is a great paper.

For those that are boycotting….did you happen to look at the very next page in the said paper? I’ll tell you what the article’s title is….GETTING KIDS HOOKED ON FISHING. It’s a very good article. Yep, there’s a paper to boycott, one that influences parents to get their kids out fishing!

What a bunch of…nothing better to do, crap!

BIRDDOG

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Sorry, you need to go re-re-re read the article starting with “Then there’s Stealing”. All I want is the name of the “One tounament Competator”. As far as I’m concerned that person does not exist.

Also, come on. Good writer. Forget it. I’d also like to see the “Scientifically documented” study confirming fishermen are full of BS when the bite is tough!

I see exactly where the BS is.

-J.

stuart
    Mn.

Birddog,Please go into the walleye turney section and read the posts pertaining to this article then read again what Joe wrote, I think then you’ll understand.I can assure you Mr.Jordan did not scan it and pick the parts he did’nt like.You are the one out of line here.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Ok guys,

One thing may be important to note. I sent a draft of this letter to the editors 10 days ago. No response. They knew it was coming. It’s not like I’m blindsiding anyone here. I have made repeated attempts to get a response. None.

Outdoor News. Go ahead and keep blowing me off. I’m just getting started! Rob Drieslein, want to discuss this topic on your Saturday Morning radio show? I will eventually get through your call screeners. How about me handing out copies of this letter and more at your booths during “Game Fair” or the “Minnesota State Fair”. Don’t under estimate the level of my anger here! I have plenty of time on my hands right now.

-J.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Here is another thread for more context for those wondering.

web page

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Quote:

Fisherman J,

Quote:

I 100% agree with your right to critize ON, write editorials and post messages explaining your position. However, I don’t agree asking IDA’ers to boycott their advertisers.

I fell a little short of calling for an all out Boycott. I’ll admit, it’s going to be very hard to steer clear of heavy weights such as Gander Mountain, Cabella’s, Sportmen’s Werehouse and many of the local boat dealers. I will however tell them how I feel about Outdoor News. It may take the rest of summer, but I will not be ignored.

Jon, all I’m saying is that I don’t believe it’s the right call, or fair, to avoid an ON advertiser who’s not aware of the situation. Talk to them first, get their position, and if they side with you, you’ll have a very good influencer, whether they pull their ads or voice their displeasure. If they don’t agree with you, at least you gave them the opportunity

birddog
    Mn.

Sorry, I won’t jump on with the click and boycott a news paper that does and has so much positive context. vs. one article some may disagree with. Articles such as “getting kids hooked on fishing”, and many, many more positive articles. I don’t agree with every article in odn, but I won’t call for a boycott because of one. I have better things to do. To much good in the odn to boycott it. Do people truly believe there is NO cheating happening in tournys?? Even if it’s not the situation Joe reffered to, it’s still happening. And this he brings to light.
    Way to many good aspects of the the paper vs. one some disagree with. Jump on the bandwagon, join the click, boycott away.

BIRDDOG

stuart
    Mn.

Birddog,You must not know the guys that this article slandered,but many of us here do and know there was no cheating at this event.Its not a click as you refer,just some guys that want it made right.And if Joes a friend of your’s I understand you sticking up for him,thats what friends do.But for me the ODN is just another rag like 99% of the outdoor mags and Joe is just another B.S. writer. Stuart Hansen

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Just my little opinion, but I think all involved parties should step back a little.
    I’m not defending anyone and I don’t know anything about the situation, but really…..it’s a guy’s opinion in nothing much more than an editorial. You ever read the editorials in the fishwrap west side of the river? It drags names through the mud like it’s at a tractor pull.

So he called “someone” a cheater……yeah….

Do you really think this might ruin someone’s career? Especially when names aren’t even given.

You take all the people involved in fishing, then you wittle it down to tournament fishing, then wittle it down to walleye tournament fishing, then wittle it down to walleye tournament fishing people who reads the outdoor news on that particular week, then wittle that down to the people who can figure out the riddle.

Come on…..it’s fishing.

Look what money has done to everyone

For the record, I just finished reading a lot of the posts and I’m fully convinced there was no cheating involved, but that changes nothing of my thoughts.

ole1855

I don’t subscribe to ODN, I haven’t for several years, I have read alot of opinions on what was written here. I tried to find a copy of the article, can someone lead me to it?? Not that you have to post it here but if you can find it online, send it as a link to me in a pm.

Thanks.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Frustration understood, however a man’s reputation should go deeper than a simple editorial article in a back shelf paper. Like it was said earlier in this post or in the tournament post I believe the field has an opportunity to challenge the results and if nothing is proven its a done deal. This just proves most tournament fisherman have fallen prey to the almighty $$ and lost sight of the long term promotion of an incredible industry. If the persons accused didn’t violate any rules (cheat) and can look in the mirror every morning and like, respect, trust the person looking back in the mirror that is the truth! I respect sticking up for friends but its really “the man in the mirror” who has to live with themself and if he has honestly not cheated he should hold his head high. If it was an editorial article it’s only an opionion and as we know opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one. Just go to the next tournament and honestly outfish them again, that will shut them up!! But really though, why wouldn’t you address this directly issue with the accused in person before writing the article? What happened to being a man.. that he will have to live with.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

BIRDDOG,
    You are right Joe did not give any names or say which tournament but anyone who fishes tournaments or anyone who follows these tournaments knows exactly who he was talking about and which tournament he was referring to. Do you know these guys? I do and I know for a fact that there is no way that there is any truth to this what so ever. It was just plain wrong of Joe to write this without any proof.

If we are all wrong about this then why does the ODN not respond to any of the calls or emails?

birddog
    Mn.

Does it really matter how I respond at this point Steve? I mean really. At this point you guys want a response so the gang can get froggy. I don’t beleive what you believe, I’ve kept an open mind and read what was written, no more, no less. It’s quite evident the in crowd knows more about this specific incident than I, for that I’ll take my spanking from the IDA masses. Quite laughable. Boycott, cancel subscriptions, make a human chain, avoid doing business with the advertisers in the odn, whatever you guys feel you need to do to sleep at night. Aren’t some of those business’s also advertisers here on IDA? RIBBIT, RIBBIT, who’s gonna jump first.

BIRDDOG

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Birddog,

You have every right to your opinion here. Thanks for posting it. Not everyone has a dog in this fight.

-J.

hwalleye18
    Coon Rapids MN

Quote:

BIRDDOG,
    You are right Joe did not give any names or say which tournament but anyone who fishes tournaments or anyone who follows these tournaments knows exactly who he was talking about and which tournament he was referring to. Do you know these guys? I do and I know for a fact that there is no way that there is any truth to this what so ever. It was just plain wrong of Joe to write this without any proof.

If we are all wrong about this then why does the ODN not respond to any of the calls or emails?

No IDA gave out their names.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I have no dog in this fight either.

I just want to understand this a little better.

I have read this thread, the original thread from a week or two ago, and the other threads Jon has going elsewhere.

Everyone who knows the would be victems say they are great guy’s, super fisherman and are above reproach. All the rest of us wouldn’t know these guy’s if we were standing in a room with them. (We only know them from the cyber space thing or dealing with them on occasion at their job.) Everyone seems to know which tournement was involved although it doesn’t matter, it could have been any tournement.

So it boils down to people defending themselves against charges that by all accounts are false. I read the response by one of the guy’s, he seemed to have answered the article, made his point and was willing to let it go at that. The other guy’s have let it go as far as I can tell.

Jon has decided to champion their cause and take on the Outdoor News and demand an apology. (Just for clarifacation are you in contact with them or are you doing this on your own?) To threaten to bring it up on Robs radio show is akin to peeing against the wind, you and him are the only ones who would hear the exchange, nobody listens to that show. In my mind this is just promoting what you are fighting. As they say, any publicity is good publicity and you are drawing far to much attention towards the Outdoor News. If you want to fight them go ahead and fight them. If they won’t talk to you take your fight to their advertisers, privately. To take this to the web sites only adds to the weight of Outdoor News and puts the ownership of this site in an awkward position. I know James knows the people involved in this and this can’t be easy for him.

The hope of people canceling subscriptions, writing letters, and going after advertisers just isn’t going to happen beyond the guys who personally know the accused.

As I said , I have no dog in this fight, good luck and stick to your convictions.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I can’t support a newspaper that soiled the reputation of good friends and good guys. I really thought a retraction or an apology or something would have been printed. That would have ended the whole business for me. It still may happen. I did what I felt I needed to do. And what others think about that makes no difference to me.

dd

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.