Buzzing Motor

• mark winkels

I have a 115 hp merc and the throttle buzzes as soon as it starts. I looked in the manual and it said buzzing is caused from low oil or overheating The oil is full and it is spitting water? How can it overheat as soon as it is started? It does not matter if you leave it over night. Any ideas?

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Have somone check the alarms to make sure there working properly. Thre may be one going bad. Unless you know the alarms or can properly test them I would leave it to a professional.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Yep maybe you just have a bad sensor, I would have it tested

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

Check your manual to see if it shows a way to test the sensors. On my motor, it is simply using a jumper wire to either power or ground the sensor. 10 minutes and you can do them all.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I assume your talking a 2 stroke right? When you take off the motor cowl there’s an oil tank on the front part of the motor. Check the cap and see if it is cracked, they tend to get a tad over tightened and will start to crack. You may be sucking too much air, the new cap and sensor comes all as one unit, about $60. You could also be getting overheated and still have a pee stream, but that usually won’t start up for a bit. If that is the case a new impellor will fix that.

showags
    Hastings, MN

If the motor is just being started and it buzzes immediately, I would focus on the oil sensor. Depending on the model, the sensor is located in the bottom of the oil rez near the starboard side of the motor. There should be two wires running to the sensor, just disconnect one wire right at the quick disconnects and see if the buzzing goes away. A quick way to check the temperature is to just put your hand on the thermostat housing, it should be cool to the touch if it is infact pumping good water. Those oil res. sensors are notoriously bad on those motors.

mark winkels

Thanks for the info fellas! I will try the suggestions and let you know. It might not be for a week or two.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.