Powerstroke Problems

• zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Coming home last night my “00” 7.3 Powerstroke bucked a couple of times and then died. After leting it sit for a while I was able to fire it back up and go about another 300 yards and then I could not get it restarted. I went back this morning and it fired right up. I drove it the 1 mile home, let it idle for a while and took off for work. I got a mile down the road and it bucked a couple of times and died again.

I can hear the fuel pump on the frame running so I don’t think that is it. Where is the fuel filter at? I have had the truck for about 15,000 miles and have not changed it yet so maybe that is the problem. Any help I can get would be much appreciated

t-nelson
    Rochester, MN

I had the same thing happen on my 01 it is the cam positioning sensor they are on the front of the block. About 170.00 for the part and a half hour to replace. Hope this helps. The main fuel filter is on top of the motor. there is a yellow fuel pressure relief valve that you will have to push to let off some pressure then you should be able to unscrew the black cover off of the bowl. put a wicks fuel filter in and put the cover back on. That should take care of it..

igotone

You say this is a powerstroke?
    That’s diesel, so there should B an injector pump.
    How many total miles? this pump could be going.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would tend to lean towards a fuel problem also. Either the pick up/transfer pump, or the high pressure/injection pump. What you are describing, does not sound electrical, but rather fuel related. Good luck.

big g

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

The truck has 150K on it. I looked this morning for the fuel filter in the engine compartment and could not locate it. Is it in a housing or am I just blind?

I have heard about problems with that cam sensor in other trucks. What does it take to replace that?

mb757
    Dodgeville, WI

I would guess a cam position sensor for the truck as well. Part number F7TZ12K073B price has been reduced to $27.62 as of a couple of months ago. They have had some problems with the sensor, but that doesn’t guarantee that that is the problem. You should have someone check it out before you just throw a part at it. But for $28 you might want to try it, but I just can’t guarantee that’s the problem.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I just got off the phone with my Ford dealer and got a price of $27.62. This is what I am going to try first, along with the fuel filter. Is this sensor easy to get to? Where is it? Is it something that I can do myself if I am decent with a wrench? Thanks

schrumy
    Clearwater MN

The fuel filter is in top of the motor, Where you would normally see a carb or throttle body. It’s a black cover with 4 grooves you take off with a screw driver.
    Personally I would lean toward the cam sensor. Are you getting an eratic tach reading???? they have a tendence to open when they get hot and once they cool it will work again til it warmes up again. They are pretty easy to install if you have any mechanical ability at all. It is located on the front of the motor near the crack shaft.

Good luck

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

cam sensor. I have gone through a few . Replace the fuel filter any way its probally due and it only takes a few seconds. If I remember rite the camshaft sensor is a big pain to replace and they get a lot of $$$ to do it. I think its around 400-600 with a 30.00 part. That will tell you its very labor intense. I have not tried to put one in my trucks. If you do it yourself and it is easy let me know as I would due the next one on my trucks

big_g
    Isle, MN

cam sensor ? would this not set a code, for open signal from cam/crank ??? I know on a Ram, it would throw an engine code at the least. Learn something every day.

big g

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Cam sensor replacement is a snap should take half hour at max even if you don`t know what your doing. It is located on the passengers side and above the damper pulley ( crankshaft pulley ). One bolt holds it on and plugs in to the wireing harness. The sensor will not allways throw a code.

The fuel filter you will have to pull the black plastic ocver right on top and front of the engine. The fuel filter canister sits underneath it.

I would opt for changing the sensor first even before changing the fuel filter just to be sure what was causing the problem.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

That was a piece of cake Stick Boy, if you are get’n charged $400-$600 for the fix, you are get’n screwed BAD Truck is run’n great and seems to be ready to take the long trip to the Merrit tourney this weekend. THANKS GUYS!!!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.