Outboard Fuel Mix?

• bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Is it ok to use STABIL in my outboard fuel mixture.I really don’t want to screw up my motor? It is a 2-stroke Mercury and is not oil injected.
    Thanks, Rick

klotzlubemn
    West metro, MN

Yes, just follow the instructions as to how many ounces per gallon you should use.
    Also, if you are going to leave gasoline for an extended period of time, it is best to store it in a metal sealed container rather than a plastic one. Plastic containers will allow the products to leach out and lower the octane of the fuel, making it not as burnable or “fresh”. I am talking over a couple of months time here, so week to week is ok, but when you put that boat or snowmobile away, take the fuel out and use it in something like the car. A couple of gallons of mixed fuel shouldn’t harm the car. That has always worked for me.
    You will find that good fuel additives like Sea Foam and some of the others come in a metal can, not a plastic container. That is the way I would buy fuel additives. (All of the Klotz products come in metal containers).

Rick

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Thanks for your help. Rick,

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Why are you running stabil? If I ever use it, I only use it for long term storage.

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

I haven’t run it in anything yet,but I just got 2 used gas tanks that I thought I would run it in for the 1’st time in case there was any moisture in the tank.I was also wondering if it was ok to use so when I put the boat away for a month or 2 this winter I won’t have to worry about the gas in the spring.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

OK in which case I’d reccomend Seafoam over stabil, it has fuel stabilizing properties too, and cleans the motor up. Basically is can do everything stabil can and more, I’ve used nothing but Seafoam for years for winter storage, as do many others on here.

I’d also rather put “questionable gas” in the truck and run it, fill the boat up with some fresh stuff, atleast if it’s bad you can dulute it down a bit with the truck’s gas tank, never had a problem getting rid of some old gas that way. Especially with a 2 stroke motor, which seem to be touchier with bad gas.

klotzlubemn
    West metro, MN

Quote:

OK in which case I’d reccomend Seafoam over stabil, it has fuel stabilizing properties too, and cleans the motor up. Basically is can do everything stabil can and more, I’ve used nothing but Seafoam for years for winter storage, as do many others on here.

I’d also rather put “questionable gas” in the truck and run it, fill the boat up with some fresh stuff, atleast if it’s bad you can dulute it down a bit with the truck’s gas tank, never had a problem getting rid of some old gas that way. Especially with a 2 stroke motor, which seem to be touchier with bad gas.

“Bingo”
    I agree completely.
    Sea Foam is good stuff – been around a long time.

Went into a hardware store once along the north shore and asked the guy for some Sea Foam. He looked at me cock-eyed, looked outside to see what my space ship looked like and then looked back at me and said “aint never heard of it before”. If it were a cartoon, his thought bubble over his head would have said – Hey buddy, we aren’t even close to the ocean – we don’t have no sea foam…

HA!

Rick

savemygass
    Cicero, IL

Check out the XS FUEL WAFER Stabilizes your fuel, boosts octaine, improves proformance, cleans injector systems & Cylinders. see my profile for the web link

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.