Passing of a friend

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Leo Kamajian passed away this past week. Many of you know him as Leo Kam here on the board and all that knew Leo considered him a friend and a helpful contributor to anyone here in the forums that needed any assistance. I had been exchanging a few e-mails with Leo but had not heard back from him in over a week. This AM his son Brian e-mailed me to let me know his father had died. I’m quite sad at his passing and hope that everyone here that knew Leo or had communications with him here in the forums will post your condolences and best wishes so I might share this thread with Leo’s family.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

That is sad news indeed, James…

I never met him, but as you mentioned, he was always willing to help out a fellow fisherman here on this forum and I’m sure on the water.

He will be missed.

Jon J.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Actually you may have met him. He was the big guy at last years Get-Together helping out with grill duties.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

What happened??? I thought Leo was posting very recently?

Terrible news.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Yes he was. He was thinking fishing right up to the very end as we were chatting occassionally about conditions and such down near Wabasha. He told me he had to go in for some “minor” laser surgery and that was the last I heard…

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I got to spend some time at the last two EFN Get Together events with Leo. What a heart! He never cared about being in the tournament or anything but I remember he came to the 2nd Annual GTG just “because I had to meet these great people”. He really didn’t know any of us at that time but was just thrilled with his experience meeting and talking with fellow “members”………………and some of us were fortunate enough to at least know him a little from that point on.

At the 3rd Annual GTG, he was right there at the grill making sure everyone was getting enough to eat! A helper, a giver, and someone ANYONE could call a friend…………this is how I’ll remember him most.

He also became a person I admired for not being one to let challenges get in the way of something he really wanted. He wanted to meet some of the community here and made a special trip to do it. He never let impaired hearing stop him from trying to talk fishing with someone he’d never met before……………or someone he’d known for some time. And like so many people of the older generation………..he just had so much he could teach us and experiences to share from!

The 4th Annual GTG is coming soon and I will definitely feel his absence. He’s been there every time I was.

My deepest sympathy is given for all his family at this time of great loss. May they find strength in his example, laughter in his memory, courage in his absence, comfort in each other, and loving support from all of us who will forever call him friend.

God Bless You Leo!

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

James, thanks for posting this. Leo was a regular contributor to the forums and will be missed by all. When someone had a question about the lower end of Lake Pepin area he was always there to give suggestions and help out the best he could. He will be missed!

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

I am very saddened at the loss of a genuine helpful individual. Leo , rest in peace. You will be missed by all of us.
    Dino

flick
    Alma WI

Leo was a great guy, and could answer about anyones question about the Wabasha area. Along time ago I was searching for some maps of Pool5..Nobody knew there was any that existed but Leo had some Maps of Pool5 an he was more then happy to share them with me…He will be greatly missed!

herb
    6ft under

I’m saddened to hear this news. Leo was a big help to me a couple years ago when I was needing hotspots maps of some of the upper pools. He took the time to email them to me and in turn I put them all on disk for him to share with others. We talked privately many times over the past several years and I thought of him as a person only privileged folks would know. Gonna miss him.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I met Leo in May of this year, he sold me a pedestal seat for my boat. Leo was a great person he put the needs of others before his own needs, always willing to give advice or lend a hand. We had made plans to get together for some fishing but it never happened, I wish now I had made it happen, just goes to show that we should not put things off as we might not have the opportunity tomorrow. My thoughts a prayers go out to his family. You will be missed Leo.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Im saddened to hear of the loss of one of our family…. he WILL be missed for sure….. I did not know him well.. but I know hes a great guy… a true brother…..

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I am sadden to hear about Leo passing away. Leo was a great kind guy who contributed here on the board and always tried to help out where ever he could. He loved fishing and loved this part of the river [pool 4] so much that I even told him that he and his wife should move up here so we all could spend more time on the water with him. Hes in heaven now and knowing Leo he has a few walleyes in the boat already in the great river of 10 pounders in heaven. Thanks for the moments we had here on earth Leo. Someday we will all fish with you where you are now. Thanks, Bill

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

I’m very sorry to hear that, too. I’d spoken with Leo via email about putting closed captions on our next video and met him last year at the outing. A great guy, patient and an incredible presence. It was hard to miss him wherever he was.

My very sincere condolences to his family.

Mike Little

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’m always sad to hear of a friend passing. I had never met Leo Kam but I sure did enjoy reading his posts, I could feel his kindness in all his words. I’m sure he is up above sprinkling his kindness down on all of us…

Thanks Leo !!

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I’m at a loss for words. Leo always would post helpfull hints for everyone on the forums. I was just thinking of Leo this weekend when my wife and I made a rode trip around the lower pool down through Alma and down to Onalaska and back up the Minnesota side. Our condolances to the family as well. Steve

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Our best goes our to his family. His help will be missed.

–John

teamvexilar
    Richland Center, Wisconsin

anybody who has contact with his family please give my condolences to. I have never met him but from what I have heard makes me think of what a great guy he must have been. God rest his soul and may his family find some peace in their time of loss.

toddberghoff
    Prior Lake

My thoughtts and prayers go out to Leo’s Family. I met Leo last year at the FTR get together, he was a very nice man.

He will be missed by many.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Always appreciated Leo’s posts and hope his family the best.
    I’ll definitely be thinking of him in a special way this next few days on the water.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I’m glad I got to spend a few minutes with Leo. His conduct and comments on the boards should be a lasting example to all. May He rest securely with the Lord.

JimW
    SE MN

Thanks LEO!!!!! You never hesitated!
    Jim W

mahumba
    Thunder Bay Ontario, Canada

We’ll miss you Leo.

My thoughts to his family and to his friends.

Roger Mayer.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Many readers of this board may not know all of the options available. One feature is “Show all of users posts” Here is a link to all of Leo’s contributions:

Leo Kam’s FTR posts.

Jon J.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Thanks Jon! That’s very thoughtful putting that link up!

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

James, thank you for letting us know.

I never met Leo, but always enjoyed reading his posts. He seemed like a heck of a nice man. I’ll miss him.

redneck
    Rosemount

I haven’t been on here in a while with the holiday and all so this may be late but the Simmons family will keep Leo’s family in our thoughts and prayers. I never met Leo but when I saw his name on a post I always read it because he had a wealth of knowledge. He sure loved the southern part of Pepin and he shared alot of his love with others. I decided today before I logged on here that I was fishing the south end of Pepin tomorrow and after hearing about Leo he will be in my thoughts.

MikeHuppert
    Western Wisconsin

I’m sad to hear Leo has moved on to bluer waters. I never met Leo personally, but enjoyed exchanging emails with him. It was only a few weeks ago that I sent him a special order of jigs, it’s hard to think that Leo was fishing right up to his last days. I don’t know how old Leo was, but I hope I leave this great place the same way. I know Leo will be with us in mind and spirit, especially when you set the hooks on a walleye! Thank you Leo Kam.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

My condolences go out to Leo’s family. And for you Leo, you are now in a better place and can look down on us to see all the good things we do and the wrong things. So Leo when you see some of the wrong things I do can you give me some kind of sign so I do it better next time. Leo I’m not going to say good by because I feel that we will meet one of these days when it’s my turn to walk the long stairs to the clouds. Then Leo, you can show me the hot fish spots in the new world that you are in., my next fish is released for you.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.