Anyone know how to get smoke smell out of a truck?

• mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

We are looking at a used truck, and found one we like very much. However, it used to belong to a smoker, and the smoke smell is still very prevalent in the truck. Bugs me a little, but my wife hates it.

Can you ever really get that smell out of the interior? And if so, how?

Thanks

bigpike

try frebreeze. (I think that is how you spell it) it is very good at eliminating odors around the house like pet odor .etc I think it will work well! You can buy it at any grocer or chain store.

nubbinbuck

They have an Auto Fabreeze that works well in cars.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I spent three very fun filled years of my life selling new and used cars. If your buying it from a dealership, they should be able to hook it up to an Ozium machine. Basically will create ozone that masks the smell. Unfortunately, the smell will never completely go away. It will still smell like smoke when you get in on a hot summer day. Fabreeze and the like will mask it to some extent, and those product are pretty effective, but in my experience, it’s almost impossible to make it go away completely. If you’re buying it from a private party, I’d be careful if your wife doesn’t like the smell.
    Steve

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Do the Grumpy Old Men trick – dead fish behind the seat. That’ll do it.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Now, I do know that there is a way to get the dead fish smell out of your truck carpet. All you need to do is remove all of your seats, and then pull up the old carpet. Clean the floor really well with a bucket of hot water and a 1/4 cup of bleach. Then install new carpet, and put the seats back in.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

But did it smell like smoke when you were done?

pool2fool

there’s the trick with the newspaper; fill the area with crumbled up newspaper, let sit, and repeat till the odor is gone. this worked with a refrigerator that spent a week during one summer without power and had amoung other things a five pound torsk in the freezer compartment. the frozen bread dough was really something. anyway the newspaper trick worked like a champ on that.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Do you think that would work on a truck with upholstery and carpet? I’ve not heard of that. Might be worth a shot, but if it doesn’t work, then you have a smoky smelling truck that you own!

pool2fool

yeah that’d be the thing. I already had the frig so, there was nothing to lose.. in this household if the wife hated it that’s that, no deal. it would have to be a heckuva good deal to overcome an obstical like that.

teamvexilar
    Richland Center, Wisconsin

i agree with bigpike on the febreeze idea. That stuff works like nothin i’ve ever seen before

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I can help . Bring it down here to my hog farm and after a week of use I can guarantee you will not be able to smell the smoke anymore.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.