Progressive boat insurance?

• birddog
    Mn.

Anyone have to file a claim with them? How did it go? We’re carrying Prog. insurance on our rig right now. If there was a problem I’d like to hear about it.

BIRDDOG

BIRDDOG

jldii

I’ve never personally had progressive, but have heard from others who did. Everything was fine until they filed a claim. Big hassel, and when it was finally handled, progressive dropped them for claim experience.

I recommend Anglers Advantage. Very easy to work with, and they even provide commercial liability if you need it.

jesse
    mn

I hate to say it, but had State Farm and they handled a claim great on the boat. Too bad they weren’t that great for vehicle coverage or I would have stayed. American Family now, great prices, have not had a claim though so no thoughts there.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i have progressive auto insurance and the first claim I made last fall, I didn’t care for. however. I had to make another claim this spring (both for deer hitting me) and the second claimed took care of aeverything and even called my auto body shop and did negotiaions(sp) at the sight before cutting me a check. I was verry pleased with that!

the St. Cloud office kinda gave me the run around, for the first claim while the Bemidji office did the second claim and fixed the first one

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Birddog,
    I had Progressive up until about 6 months ago. Unfortunately, we filed claims for our vehicles (2 or 3 times) and and my boat once. All my claims were handled great. My boat claim was for messing up my lower unit on Lake of the Woods. I was in Cananda over Labor Day weekend about 3 years ago. The accident happened on Sunday, so it was Tuesday morning before I could get Morison marina (in Canada) to look at it. Progressive tried to get me to wait until I got home to look for a used lower unit. I had to argue with them that I didn’t need it fixed in a week or two, I was on vacation and needed my boat now. They had a new lower unit in Nestor Falls. It took a couple hours on the phone with them, had to email estimates, digital photos of the damage, etc. They finally gave me the thumbs up to fix it up there. The damages cost between 4 – 5 K canadian dollars. I had my boat back the first time on Wed. morning. Unfortunately the lower unit (brand new) was bad. They had the second lower unit in by Thursday. This was no fault of Progressive. If I would have taken their first answer and not fixed it until I got home, I wouldn’t have been happy with their service. I ended up getting a brand new lower unit and a new SS prop (650.00 canadian). This was on a 1997 115 Johnson. My motor wasn’t worth what I spent to fix it. I would give Progressive a for both the auto and boat claims I’ve made. I also didn’t notice much of an increase in my rates after making the claims. I also might have had a speeding ticket or two with them. I didn’t end up getting dropped, but changed to West Bend Mutual for all of our insurance to save quite a few dollars.

bradg

I don’t have progressive, but have talked to a few people that had to file boat claims with them, and they say the service could be a bit better. But they always got things taken care of eventually.
    I have American Family, and just made a claim last week, The adjuster stopped by the next day, did an estimate, looked at my estimates, talked to a few shops and sent me the check the next day! I was extremely happy since I have a Ranger Fisherman and was scared it would be totaled with a couple of nicks out of the metal flake, and 2 good scrapes on the bottom of the hull. She knew that I wasn’t giving up the boat, so she overlooked that the cost of repair was over 70% of what they considered market value for the boat alone!!. I take it in on Monday to have the entire bottom re-gelled. And on that deal the shops only wanted to blend in the damaged areas, but I told the adjuster I wanted the whole bottom redone and she gave it to me I was pretty happy with it, Very fast service.
    Sorry for the long winded story, I know it really doesn’t answer you question, but thought I would share.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Quote:

I hate to say it, but had State Farm and they handled a claim great on the boat. Too bad they weren’t that great for vehicle coverage or I would have stayed. American Family now, great prices, have not had a claim though so no thoughts there.

I know exactly what you mean about State Farm and how poorly they handle vehicle claims. Many, many years ago I had State Farm on my 2 cars. My wife had an accident that wasn’t her fault. My local State Farm agent promised me that they would take care of everything but as it turned out the other driver didn’t have insurance or something along those lines and we never got a penny out of State Farm or the other driver. After several hollow promises from my agent I cancelled my policy with State Farm. I’ve had 2 or 3 insurance companies since through an independent agent and never had any problems. My independent agent recommended Progressive a couple years ago for my vehicle and boat and so far I have no complaints.

Eyehunter

birddog
    Mn.

It’s good to hear from guys that have ACTUALLY HAD to file a claim and actually use prog, rather than second hand, heard from a friend of a friend…we all know how facts can get skewed. There is a similiar thread going on a different site. No one can give straight answers, it’s negative but no one gives explanations, maybe they’re competing agents??

So far the only guys giving straight, this is what happend and these are the circumstances…sound like good reports. Heck for a insurance company to take care of you while your on vacation even though you had to do some phone tag and spend some time on the phone and emails, still sounds like they came through in a bind.

These types of threads truely help make decisions, so IF you’ve dealt with progressive, good or bad, keep em coming.

Thanks

BIRDDOG

gobig-or-gohome
    Lake Minnetonka area

I have filed 4 claims over the last ten years with State Farm 1 my fault, 2 other vehicles fault, and 1 my car started on fire because of how a auto shop installed an astro start (They were not going to total the car after the whole car being filled with smoke until the fire department came and tore out the dash hosing down the whole inside but worked with us to salvage the car cut me a check and I went and bought a new car) and they have always handled my claims with no issues. Sorry I do not know anything about Progressive but just thought I would though my 2 cents out there on State Farm.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I don’t know anything about Progressive, but I can tell you one to stay clear of. At least 30 or 40 houses in my neighborhood (including all of the neighbor’s right next to me) all got new roofs from that hail storm from last August. Another house and my house got declined. We both had AllState. The contractor that we had come out said Allstate is the 2nd worst company for claims. I don’t know how they do with car or boat claims but for house claims, they should change their slogan to “You are in good hands with AllState, unless you make a claim”. Needless to say I wouldn’t recommend them. I recently switched to American Family.

Sorry to get off the Progressive question. Just had to vent a little.

hgeren
    NE Minneapolis

No Progressive boat insurance but I did have a Progressive policy on a truck a number of years ago. I got rear ended and they were all over the situation. Everything cleared up and a check in my hand in a matter of a few days to get it fixed. It was all handled very quickly.

When I moved up here i went with American Family but the only reason for that was I knew the agent.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Birddog,
    When I hit the rock with my motor, I didn’t even realize it would be covered by insurance. The guys I was with told me it would be covered. Once I found out the estimate, man was I happy it was covered. I might have been lucky to get them to cover the repair with new parts in Canada and not waiting until I got home. It was frustrating trying to jump through hoops (sending pictures, faxing estimates, etc) and waiting for them to decide if I could get it fixed. They checked the estimates and agreed to let me get if fixed up there. I totally understand why they need to do this though. It only cost me the deductable and they paid the marina directly. I still missed out on about 3 days of fishing running back and forth to the marina though. Again that wasn’t Progressive fault. I also don’t have any bias’s or affiliations towards any insurance companies. The only reason we changed was we saved about 1200.00 per year by switching to West Bend. I just hope the claims service with West Bend is as good as we got with Progressive.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.