shore fishing

• NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

I don’t have any friends and I don’t have a boat, so I need a little help. Are there any spots where a newcomer and a greenhorn(to the river) might attempt to snag a couple of eyes from shore(other than the vfw on friday night)? I guess near Red Wing is where I’m hoping. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Why don’t you try one of the floats. There’s one at Alma, one at Dresbach and I think one at Trempealeau.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I see you are from Baldwin. Very shortly here, the sauger will be running pretty good in Prescott. There is a fishing pier right next to the boat launch just south of the hiway and train bridge on the WI side.
    There is also a pier on the MN side right below the hiway bridge. A 3/16 H20 or Knuckleball jig and your favorite BFT Rinworm or K-Tail is all you need. Some nice fish can be had there! Just pitch out into the current, and let it sink. Slowly retrieve in along the bottom. The strikes are memorable!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome. Great to have you with us. Please feel free to share and post all you want.

In Red Wing there is a little park right along the river between the big bridge and the marina. Alot of people will shore fish right along there. The current may be alittle fast right now so another place is at Bay Point in Red Wing. There is a bigger park there and if you take the road that travels towards the bridge that is between the marina on the bridge side [there are 2 marinas] and the river channel you will come to a point. At the end of that point there should be a fishing pier that you can fish from and get out of the fast current. That point points in the direction towards the bridge. Try fishing the current seam [edge of the current and slack water] with a jig and minnow, jig and ringworm, or even a bucktail jig. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks, Bill

ps. I see Chris replied and his locations sound very good. Give them a try.

NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

thanks for all the info! i may give it a whirl tomorrow or maybe this weekend. i’ll let you know how i do.
    thanks again!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Don’t be disappointed if you strike out either! It is a little early. As the water warms, the bite will too!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Gut Hooker,
    I don’t think you can fish Prescott for walleyes or sauger until the season opens on April 28th.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You can in Prescott. It is below the train bridge. The one on the MN side is closed until border waters opens. Good point.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.