Refund on gas tax used in boat

• fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Anybody know of a way to get back the road/highway use tax on gas used in a boat. Figure it’s not used on the road so why pay the tax. I know farmers can get the tax back on ag gas because it’s used off road.

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

I get the gas tax back on my lawnmowers for business too. Not sure how you would get it on the boat.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Vasoline

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Just tell your tax man you want to take it. You have to keep the receipts though.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

moreyes, that’s why its called petroleum jelly

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Correct Tuck.
    Ask your tax man. However, I don’t know if you can get a discount on recreational use or not.

Farmers get a discount/write off because it is business use. Generally, they purchase their fuel this way in the first place.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Maybe true…but guiding and tournament fishing would be different.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Depends if you are wanting to know about Federal or State taxes. The Federal refund is only available if the gas is used in business equipment. Recreational use does not qualify. Claim the refund with Federal Form 4136.

For state tax refunds, each state could be different. In Nebraska, off road use is off road use. Recreational use does qualify…however, there are other requirements that you must meet. I could try to help find the information for you if you let me know which state you are in.

JD

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.