Trolling Motor Problems

• staads
    Eau Claire, Wi

I was out on p4 last night and had serious problems with my trolling motor for the first time ever.
    When pushing in the desired direction my trolling motor would turn and go in the exact opposite direction making boat control very difficult with the current picking up. I have a normal, front mounted, foot-operated troller. Any advice on how to fix would be much appreciated.

To top the night off I happened to back over one of my roomates broadheads with my trailer tire.

Otherwise fishing was slow, but well worth it in the end.

jbennett1013
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Is the trolling motor a minn kota power drive????

If it is more than likely the foot pedal itself. They are known for going out on a regular basis. Generally for me they will stop turning one direction completely but I do not see why it could not go crazy some other way as well.

If I get the chance to fish alot I will go through one or two a year. I have come to the point of always having a back up in the boat. I cannot remember what I paid for the last one but I want to say $65???

That is my only thought other than some crazy electrical problem.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

If it is a minkota and it has the arrow indicator up top just take it apart and reset the directioal arrow to the rite direction. Mine slips some times dont know why but it does. I got used to the feeling of the boat instead of the arrow.

hope this helps.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

It sounds like you have the battery cables hooked up backwards to me. If he prop is going in reverse on a bow mount.. that would be the problem.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.