Moved to SD this week

• alkfish
    St Paul MN

Hello all! I moved to the Milesville,SD (1/2 way between Pierre and Sturgis by highway 34). Moving from MN, I am starting from square 1 on the fishing and hunting. I love bass especially, and love to hunt with gun and bow.I also enjoy picking wild mushrooms and trapping. If anyone can point me in the right direction to get settle in to my true passions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks to all of you in advance!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Congratulations on the move. The important question is do you have access to private pheasant hunting property? And if you do would you be my new best friend?
    Good Luck Sir!

dd

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Below is the link to the South Dakota Forum. I would make a post on there and ask questions. Good luck on your fishing outtings in your new place to live. And please feel free to share about them too.
    Thanks, Bill

South Dakota Forums

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

Don’t worry about private ground for upland, there is public ground everywhere. I believe you can hunt the edge of the lakes where the water line is at ful pool. There is enough ground to keep you busy for ohh….. about your whole life! As far your bass fish goes, some of the best smallmouth fishing in the country is not to far south of you on the Missouri river system, especially south of Pickstown. Congrats on the move and good luck.

Jason

alkfish
    St Paul MN

Thanks for the responses and if anyone else has an info feel free to post away.
    Thanks….

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Milesville!?!?! I grew up in Ft. Pierre, SD which is no metropolis, but Milesville is certainly in the middle of nowhere. But hey, that’s not such a bad thing.

You should find good deer hunting, both white tail and mule deer. Should be plenty of pronghorn antelope as well. If you like to hunt coyotes, then you’ll find plenty. I don’t know that there are too many pheasants in that part of the state, but grouse hunting is a lot of fun.

As far as fishing goes, an easy drive will get you to the Black Hills for trout or to Lake Oahe for walleyes. The Cheyenne River is a great location most of the year for catching big walleyes. If you are looking for bass or pan fish, many ranches have stocked ponds with fish in them. Back in the 1980’s, my brothers and I used to catch a lot of fish on the prairie dams. 2-3 pounds was a big LM, but it was fun. In some of the ponds, we would catch bluegills with a beadle spin on every other cast. Many of the ranches were in Stanley, Haaken, and Jackson counties. These lakes were on private property, but no one ever said no when we asked to fish. I think the rule was that the Game Fish and Parks dept would stock them as long as you allowed public access to them. I bet some of these bodies of water would go months at a time without anyone fishing them.

Good luck to you. That’s a pretty part of the state with lots of hills and draws.

Almost forgot, you’re pretty darn close to Sturgis. Even if you don’t ride, the people watching is great.

Curt

redneck
    Rosemount

Alkfish,
    You are a lucky man! In 3 years 4 months and 28 days I will be joining you. We already have a place 20 miles north of Ft. Pierre and as soon as I can retire we will be there. I am still learning the area but there is alot of public land and really great people throughout South Dakota. I am very into Walleye fishing so I had to look no farther than Oahe and Sharpe to satisfy my fix. I can second what Willeye said about the farm ponds, my brother-in-law lived in Gregory and he had some huge farm pond bass on his walls. It may take a little effort but you are going to have some great adventures in South Dakota. We’ll have to get together sometime and chase walleyes or birds—sorry, I have outgrown Bass.

alkfish
    St Paul MN

Thnaks everyone for sharing. Felt right at home yesterday, saw coyote,shot,saw coyote run! Maybe I ll get hime today. Also saw 40 mule deer, and 54 antelope. Fun day driving around.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.