Brrrrr, cold fishing in Florida

• carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Brrr, it was only 65 degrees today fishing the gulf. Hows the weather in WI and MN. Going after reds tomorrow. Spent today looking for some good flats to fish. Will post pics if I catch any. Still want to snag a Manatee but everyone here doesnt like the idea much.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Flats!???

I wish I had my old GPS…I could put you spot on the spot!

You should have seen the look old Cpt Hutchins gave me at the end of our trip. I was kidding him about bringing my 17 foot lund down there next year and fishing his spots.

Check out http://www.flatstofathoms.com he might have some current tips for you…

(looks like he’s working on his website right now… Business: 305-613-8193

Residence: 305-884-8642)

Quote:

snag a Manatee

I hear they will shoot you for doing that!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

SNAG A MANATEE!

Just don’t marry her

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

you are bad!

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

I will be down in Miami in may. I plan on a day or 2 of fishing deep water. I cant wait.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Brain I tried your link & it didn’t work. I’m leaving for Orlando on the 28 for a week to bring the kids to the land of the mouse. But the better half said I could go fishing one day. Is that guide close to orlando?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

He guides out of the Keys and the Everglades Park…

I have an email into him to find out when his site will be up again.

big_g
    Isle, MN

FLAG !!!!!! I like that picture

big g

duramax_2001
    Hastings, mn

Might be a redneck if (pic)……….

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Rough day fishing today. Found lots of reds in shallow water(2-3 feet) but couldnt get any hooked. Every time I made a cast the ladyfish would engulf the lure. While they are fun to catch, they get irritating after about 100 of them. They are slimier than a cross between a northern and a catfish. They immediately jump about 3 to 4 times once hooked and put up a good fight as well, but arent too good to eat due to bones. Will give the reds another shot later this week. Tomorrow will be going after some convict fish (sheephead) for dinner.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Finally had a calm enough morning to fish for reds. After spending the last few days fishing for grunts, speckled trout and anything we could catch, it was nice to actually target a certain fish. After nearly being laughed off boat landing for my choice of tackle, it was a welcome sight to catch this red. He was 25 inches and happily made his way to dinner table. I heard the comment of”you dont saltwater fish much do you” when I showed a fellow fisherman what I intended to use for lures. A 6’6″ med action ST Croix, 8lb berkley sensation line and a 1/4 oz Bfishn tackle jig and orange catalpa ringworm(soaked in shrimp overnight). What a blast to hook these on light tackle. Basically hang on and ready yourself for a great and long fight. Taking Sunday off to golf and then just 5 more days of fishing left before cold weather again. Will post more another day!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Taking Sunday off to golf

Ok…I let the “cat slim” remark go…but now your going too far!

Nice fish Lou! At least your not out in Gamehide gear!

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

What is it about fancy country clubs? For some reason, fishy pants and a holey tshirt are frowned upon on course. I think fishing is my choice over golf anyday. It is funny though how a guy such as myself can bring a scratch golfer down to my level with just a few simple insults and jeers. Apparently passing gas during a backswing is not acceptable. Geez, I cant remember ever screwing up a cast due to a loud one!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Lou:

Where are you doing all the fishing???

Mark

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

I have fished the Chassowitzka River, Crystal River, and Homossassa Springs and out into the Gulf. Tuesday we will be heading to Lake Panasofke to try for some green carp. Tomorrow is mullet day on the Weeki Watchi!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Lou:

Is that north of Tampa???

Mark

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Yes, about 40 miles north of Tampa.
    Todays picture is just for Brian! Who da thunk you could catch catfish in saltwater?

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

And a Stingray to boot! Really mixed bag of fish today. No reds, but a few tarpon, a lot of speckled trout and the usual hundreds of ladyfish.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

The year the Badgers were in Tampa for the Outback Bowl. My neice was living down there at the time. We fished the flats off the Anclote River in Tarpon Springs. We did really well on the specks that day. The specks got hit hard in that area by red algae a year later. Hopefully your area did not and that is why you are getting them. We also caught baby tarpon up the river and talk about a gas those were. All fish were caught on plastics on that trip.

What’s the water temp. The first year we did well once the water warmed up. I think it started around 60 and around 63-64* the trout really got going. Saw a few reds, only caught one.

The next time down went into the Tampa Bay and fished snook and redfish. Caught baitfish with a throw net, I think they were sardines, looked like alewives. Took a long time to get the timing down on the don’t set the circle hook, but you have to set the hook to get it out of the bridge of the baitfish. Missed a lot of opportunities until after lunch we started to get the hang of it. Never got a red, though we did manage a few snook. Have fun down there the rest of the week.

Mark

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.