Computer help needed

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Okay, I will try and describe my issue to the best of my ability. I recently added a LYNKSYS wireless router to my desktop modem to run internet on my laptop. It worked fine for a few days. But, now I cannot get an ISP address on my desktop machine. I tried a search and it says it is 1 of 2 things. Either my NIC is faulty or my ISP provider is having problems. I replaced the NIC with a new one. MY provider (Charter) insists it is not a problem on their end. When I run ipconfig, it keps telling me that and IP address cannot be found. When I run ipconfig /renew it tells me there is a problem with the RCS? The laptop still works fine
    Anybody have any clue as to other possibilities? I am running a Compaq Presario 5000 that is 6 years old. I am also running Windows XP with Charter High Speed internet. I am not sure if running the recovery disk will actually help the problem or not. I have also run a System Restore back to a point before the problem started. Thanks

thegun
    mn

sounds like your network setting got messed up!

the first thing you should try is to completely remove the new software you had to install and then restart your computer! after that reinstall! make sure you restart before reinstall! this should take care of it!

If that dont work call there tech help and they will run you threw it!

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Mike, first unplug the power cord on the Linksys at the back of the box, also, take a pen and push it in the little dimpled hole on the back. When you plug the power in, it should be all normal.

You do still have the internet capabilities on the laptop, correct?

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Mike,

Have you made sure that your NIC is set to DHCP? Have you unplugged and plugged both ends of the patch cable.

Have you tried setting a static test address on the PC to see if you can ping your gateway?

Try pinging 127.0.0.1 with the static address assigned.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

It’s possible that the router is faulty. Yes, the laptop works, but that is on a wireless signal right? Have you tried the laptop hardwired?

Also, try a different outgoing port on the router and make sure all connections are secure. When this happens, it’s usually one of those moments

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

it’s a router issue. Do a hard reset and start from scratch, when I say this, it includes putting your isp password re-entered also then you know your router is back at the gate.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Jeff-Explain how to get to and run the ping.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I should also mention that we have uninstalled all the software and re-installed everything. We did the reset of the router. I can also get a Local Area Connection if I hook up the modem directly to the laptop. But, I cannot get a Local Area Connection on the desktop, in fact it doesn’t even have the icon under Network Connections anymore

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Mike, sounds like your router lost communication with your modem. Turn both off, turn the modem back on, wait for a couple of minutes to make sure the modem is up, turn on the router, give that a couple of minutes. Then try it again.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Jeff-Explain how to get to and run the ping.

Start>Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt

Then type in Ping 127.0.0.1

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

What should I be looking for?
    Here is what I got for the test:
    Packets sent-4 Received-4 O lost
    Approx round trip times in milli-seconds
    Min=0 Max= 0ms Avg=0ms

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

It’s basically just a loopback test, that address is reserved for that purposes and the same on every computer. That test just showed that your NIC card and TCP/IP is working properly.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Mike,

An easier way to Ping is Start Ment>Run. In the dialog box, then type “Ping 127.0.0.1”. > OK

You should get 3 replies from the router I think. If you are getting replies, then your computer is communicating with the router. I would try to disconnect the power and try again like the other guys are saying.

Good Luck.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Next, you should try to ping your IP. To find that, go here
    What is my IP

Do the same thing in the command prompt: ping [yourIP]

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

When I run the ping test for the IP address, I get back the following message 4 times
    Destination is unreachable

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Mike,

When your desktop is plugged into the router, are you getting a connection light on the router for that port?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Jeff-Yep, there is a green light for port 1.
    I have also ran just the modem to the desktop and still couldn’t pull up an IP address. If I run disable the wireless and run the modem straight to the laptop I get a good connection there. Can’t remember if I mentioned that yet or not

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Mike, Put a call into Linksys. You will be talking to somebody in India but I have called their support line more than once and they have helped me reestablish the connection between my wifes computer upstairs amd mine downstairs when I lost it. Maybe windows XP is trying to establish a network connection and is screwing up the Linksys setup.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

This seems very odd:

Desktop>Router>Modem=No Good

Desktop>Modem=No Good

Laptop is good with all connections.

Loop test checks out

It almost seems like a bad NIC. Are you getting lights on the back of the NIC?

Just one more thought. You could have a break in your Cat5 line. Have you tried a different cable?

cogborn
    Prior Lake/Savage, MN

Since you are having problems with IP Address, please verify if this is correct.

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

check your blinker fluid……sorry, you guys were way too serious and someone could get hurt thinking that hard and using big words like that….I will crawl back into the ignorant hole now…..

slayer
    Rochester, MN

What is the IP address you are entering when you get the message Destination is unreachable? Are you using Windows Wireless networking or are you using the software that came with wireless NIC card to connect to the router? Are you able to surf the net when the pc is plugged directly into the router? Do you have the SSID setup up in the wireless connection tab on the pc as well as on the router configuration? If this is not set up then the pc will not be able to connect to the router. Are the channels of the router and NIC set up to the same channel? After the hard reset of the router did it loose its SSID name. Are you using any security such as WEP? Can you ping ip address of the cable modem? Can you ping the ip address of the router? Do you get results back saying that bytes where sent and received? How many pc’s are connect to the router. What standard of a card / router are you using B or G? Do you have the router set up to accept the correct one or set to mixed?

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Quote:

check your blinker fluid……sorry, you guys were way too serious and someone could get hurt thinking that hard and using big words like that….I will crawl back into the ignorant hole now…..

Did you put your quarter in????
    sorry couldn/t resist.

herefishyfishy
    MN

WOW slayer!!! No wonder your always catching the walleyes!! could you repeat the part where you said all about the stuff?? I just reset the modem and the router when that happens and my ip address gets reset. Is there room in that ignorant hole for me too?

slayer
    Rochester, MN

Herefishyfishy where have you been latley? How did your trip up north go? I ended up going to Vermilion for a week in early Sept.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Slayer-I was and still am confused to all the questions I have no idea on how to do or check most of what you asked. I had another guy here that was doing most of the installation and then trying to find the problem. He can’t get back here for awhile so I was hoping it was something a laymen could figure out

slayer
    Rochester, MN

Go to start | run | type in the word cmd. Now type in ipconfig –all. Maximize this window. Now press and hold the Alt key and the prt sc button on your keyboard. Open up a new Microsoft Word document and press CTRL V to paste the picture into the doc. Try to post this word doc here. Which pc are you having problems with? The desktop PC or the Laptop? What kind of NIC cards are in the PC’s? Ethernet or Wireless? Feel free to give me a call. Sometimes talking on the phone can speed up the process of figuring out what the culprit is.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I had about the same problem with my machine, but all it took was a restart of the linksys(pushing the little reset button on the back). Try a new cable between the pc and nic. If your linksys is a wrt54g, type 192.168.1.1 for an address in internet explorer, if it asks for a user name and password use admin for both. I almost will bet you won’t connect from your wired pc

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

Mike, have you resolved your issue with the PC? If not, give me a call at home tonight, I will try and walk you through some of the issue I have run into when I installed wireless networks. If it worked once, then I am sure we will be able to get it to work again. If I am not able to talk you through it over the phone, then I will come over and work it through if you want.

I have sent you a PM with my contact information.

JP

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.