oil for a 4 stroke

• bigcrappie
    Blaine

Where or what do you guys use for 4 stroke oil.
    I have always used Johnson ultra 4 stroke, but 6 qts gets $$$ Any other thoughts on oil brands or who has a good deal? And have any of you went and matched up your oil filter to a fram or other car filter to save $$.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I run Honda oil in my Honda. I have not seen a reason to change because of price yet .
    I also run the Honda filter.
    Changing oil and filter once a year, to me it makes sense to use what the manufacturer recommend. If I ever need to get warranty work I have the receipts and they can not blame it on using other products.
    40 dollars a year is cheap insurance in my opinion.

Ron

the_grump
    Le Center

The oil and filter is buy far the cheapest part of owning and running a boat, save yourself a headache and buy the oil and filter as recommended. Even though a filter looks the same and fits, it isn’t always the same. Some have internal by-pass valves, and are designed to run at differnt pressures, this isn’t a good place to save $$$.
    You would be better off buying cheaper

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

i agree with what Ron said, I’d also add, that probably most of the 4-strokes on the water are still in their warranty period, and as long as the motor is in the warranty, just use what they say to use in it, which will be their oil. after warranty, it wouldn’t really matter, except after a couple of years with NO problems, you just might stay with the factory products..
    Jack.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I will also agree with everybody. For the extra money of buying the brand name stuff it is well worth it. Like mentioned before IF you ever do have problems with it you will know that it wasnt because of wrong oil or filter. By doing so this could eliminate quite a few things when your trying to repair of figure out whats wrong (if you do have problems).

My .02

fish2live
    hampton,mn

iuse regular 10w30 in my 4stroke i do spring for the synthetic, car quest has synthetic oil on sale in rosemount for 3.99 a qt. real good deal

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Thats what I thought, 6qts of oil, 2 qts of lower unit and a filter= $65 My motor “makes oil” because I do a lot of trolling with a 115 and have to change it more offten, thats why I was asking. Making oil is getting gas, and water in the oil from running it at low idel for a long time some times 6 hours a night in the fall.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I use Mobil 1 in my T-8. And I would use it in any motor I own.

-J.

mb757
    Dodgeville, WI

If you look at the back of the Manufacturers (Honda, Yamaha, ECT) oil bottle you should find a two digit API Service rating. As long as the rating on the oil you are looking at meets or excedes that rating your warranty will not be voided. I know alot of dealers will tell you this but, according to our warranty and policy manual from Ford we can’t refuse the customer warranty because they don’t use Motorcraft oil. However we can refuse warranty if the oil doesn’t meet the min API rating or the oil is not changed at the required intervals. Mark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.