SEA FOAM??

• BobB
    Dodgeville, Wisconsin

What is your opinion on Sea Foam for a 4 stroke outboard motor used in the gas, and as a crank case additive?

Bob.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

I have used it in my gas for years. Never tried the crank case.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

It is an excellent additive. Been using it in everything I own for years including my vehicles never had a problem with it.I have added it to my crankcase in my older vehicles and never once had an issue. I think you will find alot of the same responses from alot of people on here…

big_dog_ia
    Omaha, Ne

I use it in my boat, truck, forklift at work (diesel), small engines etc. good stuff. never used it/tried it in crank case.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I guess I’m very, very hesitant of adding anything but oil to a crank case. The only way I would consider is if the oil change got delayed to the point of the oil turing too black and contaminated. Then the purpose of the “ONE TIME” usage is to wash clean, the oil sludge from the system to ensure the oil stays clean.

Consistent, scheduled oil changing will keep you from adding preservitives or solvents to clean your crank case. If your oil is clean when you change it, no need to use anything. If your oil is found to be excessively black or your oil filter is found to be excessively “heavy” due to filtering of contaminants, then I recommend oil changes that are more frequent.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I’ve used it in the fuel system, never tried it in oil.

It works as a stabilzer, cleaner, and removes moisture.

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

I think its great in the fuel system especially small engines and outboards. Tune up in a can plus fuel stabilizer. I’m kinda like Gary on putting anything in the oil & they also have Sea Foam for transmissions. I’d probably give that a try first if I was having trouble with shifting or slippage.

91482v

I would not add it to my oil. Seafoam is about 50% Naptha and Isopropyl Alcohol. Both being solvents (reducers). It would not do your newer motor much good. The fact that this additive will also combine with the hydrocarbons in the oil may alter their ability to protect against abrasion (film strength). As an additive to your gasoline, it may assist in the reduction of solids forming in the combustion chamber and cylinder walls (carbon deposits). I run it in my gas tank but can’t quantify if it really does anything. There’s more than likely enough additive in the Heptane/Pentane/Octane mix to minimize most of the formation already but I am of the impression that it could be doing something for me. I just don’t see that it would do much good (and probably inhibit) in the lubrication/cooling end of the motor. Of course, the Seafoam reps will tell you it’s the “end-all” for any type of formations. Just look at the chemical formula that makes up both Naptha and Iso…heavy hydrocarbons and CH3CHOHCH3. It’s comprised of a lot of carbon.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.