Best Walleye Recipe

• jvfishkiller
    Ramsey MN

Gearing up for the Fall walleye Feast. Any input from all IDA members – Their personal best walleye recipe’s – Beer Batter, Pan Fried or Grilled. Lets here’um

Thanks

Big_Guppy
    John from Champlin

theduck

1 bag of your favorite seasoned croutons chopped up with an electric chopper or smashed up in a bag. Take fillets and drizzle with evoo(extra virgin olive oil) then coat fillets with crouton breading. season to taste if you like. Bake until crispy and brown. About 30 minutes at 350 in the oven. Add some veggies sweet corn or squash and some fried potatos add a couple of cool beverages and you are set.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Pan fried in original shore lunch for me!

krisko
    Durand, WI

Quote:

Pan fried in original shore lunch for me!

I would have to second that motion…I like the Italian one best..

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Take 1 stick of butter and smear it on the bottom of tin foil and lay the fish in it. Slice up 1 onion, slice up some mushrooms, green pepper and 2 tomatoes. Salt,pepper, and steak seasoning wrap it up and throw it on the gill for 10-15 minutes. Best fish I have ever had. Way better than fryed.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I like to release them and order a hamburger

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I’m in favor of panko crumbs, this is Japanese bread crumbs, season some flour coat fillets, then egg wash, then some seasoned panko, to the peanut oil she goes, don’t get the oil over 350, you will be the hit of the camp. We will also wedge up some potatoes in a pan and pour 1/2 beer over them, and stir, stick in shore lunch and shake that thing! Add to peanut oil between fish. Makes great broasted potatoes. Seems like I can almost feel my ribs, must be time for lunch.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I like to release them and order a hamburger

I was think along the same lines.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Ingredients:

1 cup sour cream
    3 Tbsp. milk
    1 Tbsp. cream style white horseradish
    2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1 tsp. capers with juice
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
    1 1/2 lbs. walleye filets
    Salt and pepper
    3 Tbsp. butter or margarine

In large mixing bowl combine sour cream, milk, horseradish, lemon juice, capers with juice, dry mustard and parsley; mix until well blended. Sprinkle filets with salt and pepper. Place filets in nonstick baking dish. Melt butter, turning filets to coat evenly. Pour sauce over filets and bake uncovered at 350° F. 25 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Garnish with additional chopped parsley and thinly sliced lemon. Serve hot.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Tuck’s beer batter recipe.
    But you have to invite me over to get it!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

Tuck’s beer batter recipe.
    But you have to invite me over to get it!

The Tuck Chuckwagon beer batter?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

But the secret is the amount of per box.
    It’s all about the ratio baby!

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

All recipes smell great!!!

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

Growing up on Lake Oahe in South Dakota has given me the opportunity to catch and cook many a Walleye. Here is the best recipe that I have come up with. Much better than a hamburger.

Beer Batter:
    1 egg
    1 cup flour
    1/2 cup beer
    1 tbs baking soda
    1 tbs baking powder

Tartar Sauce:
    Add a little pickle relish, onion, and horseradish to miracle whip. Stir well and chill overnight.

Deep Fry it up and have a couple

eyebuster
    Duluth

I usually use one of the small packs of instant patato(sour creme) and flour. 50-50 mix in one bowl. and an egg or two mixed in another depending in amount of fish. Dip in the egg then into the flour mix into pan!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

1 Box of Don’s Chuckwagon (Available at Cub and other places.)

1.5 cans of

The key is to keep the temp of the oil between 325 and 350. Temps overshooting 350 will cause the batter to cook off of the filet, and come to the surface in blobs. This is often overlooked, and very important. I have cooked with beer batter at 3 larger resturaunts about 25 years ago, and have continued up until now. The keys are temp as I mentioned, and the batter should drip off a fork. Not in clumps, and not thin like water, but more like the consistency of paint.
    This will give you some awesome batter!
    Tuck

jvfishkiller
    Ramsey MN

Is this a great site or what

Thanks, Tuck

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

tonight, its jenny’s favorite, grilled walleye – drizzle both sides of a couple of filets (from 16-18 inchers) with olive oil then sprinkle liberally with jamaican jerk spice. put filets in fish basket, cook on grill, flip just once.

another big hit at our house – walleye sandwich – fry lightly breaded filets, then make sandwich on bricco bread with slice of cheese, thin sliced onions and horseradish mayo.

for fish fries, we use louisiana breading, a light cornmeal/flour mix with a little cayenne

and, of course, leinies if we got um

DJ, i’ll have to try that walleye gumbo. for meat in our gumbo, we usually use some combination of smoked sausage, shrimps, duck or sometimes chicken. what do you use with walleye?

birddog
    Mn.

Original Shore Lunch, beer batter or regular.

BIRDDOG

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

You have to love Jamaican Jerk seasoning. I thought I was the only one around here that cooks fish with it. I usually only use it on chicken, but my brother-in-law demands it on fish when they come over for dinner. It is good but not my favorite. My favorite is a tie between Shorelunch Cajun and Marv Koep’s baked recipe.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Man, they all sound good! We should start an IDA cook book forum for game and fish!

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

Put a few fellets in some tinfoil, add about 1/4 stick of butter and sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning on them. Wrap them up and grill for approx. 15 minutes! MMMMMMMMMM

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good idea on the forum Chris. Call it the PETA forum.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Man, they all sound good! We should start an IDA cook book forum for game and fish!

It is on my list to James for ideas for IDA.

I use Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Seafood Magic.
    Broil or pan fried.
    You can get it at most Cub stores

Ron

col._klink
    St Paul

My fav.

Egg wash 1 coat
    then into some cracker crumbs KEBBLER!!!

into a skillet with a stick of melted butter

Fry to a light golden brown on both sides.

Little salt to flavor. It’s like walking into heaven!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

We need a get together fish cook off, where everyone makes there fish kinda like a pot luck. And everyone can share there recipes.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Can we do it in your house
    The smell of fish and then giving these guys beer and beans

Ron

chomps
    Sioux City IA

why stop with a fish fry cook off? Make a wild game cook off, and fish being a sub-category. I like to see peoples ideas, I never usually follow a recipe to the tee.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

PETA = people eating tasty animals

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.