price of gas

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

$2.46 here in cedar rapids last night, wonder what it is this morning. With the advances in oil recovery thats been made in the last 10 years i wonder if any of this oil is coming from old wells to keep the price affordable.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

2fishy4u

Your link is broke. I’d like to read the article. Is there anything I can do to help fix the link?

2Fishy4U

James,

I tried it after posting and it didn’t connect although it worked well when I E Mailed to a few folks. The best thing I can think of is sort on Car & Driver-E85.

The one thing I can say is there are numerous studies and articles questioning the long term viability of E-85 and also the amount of pollution it causes during production.

I was going to post more but figure this subject is so controversial best to send this one and let it rest.

col._klink
    St Paul

Why do we not just use one of these things???

Flux Capacitor

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

$2.44 here now tonight and i heard a teller talking to a guy that he heard its going to drop even further in the next couple weeks.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

$2.54 a gal here in Rochester, Mn. Sure would like some of that cheap 2.44 gas you guys have in Iowa.
    Thanks, Bill

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Your correct Mossy, the price should continue to fall on into the harvest season provided we have no hurricanes hit the Gulf. We’ve been lucky so far but have about 6 more weeks of fear.

The Region 3 and Chicago PADDS have plenty of fuel stock. A lot of fuel was funneled this direction when Basis was 30-50 Points greater than the NYMEX. Everyone was looking to make the quick buck. Now that stock is high, the basis points are falling, making it easier for the “jobbers” to buy lower cost fuel.

You’ll notice some stations are still lagging the pump and part of that could be due to their inability move stock in their own tanks and they do not want to take a loss. The closer Region 3 PADD can get to 0 basis points the lessor our price will be in the midwest.

In years past, as the harvest approaches, the prices generally climb at the pump as stock is low. I do not forsee this happening this year unless we get a dreaded “H”.

If everyone holds their breath for 6-8 weeks we will once again have fuel prices similiar to Pre-Katrina.

LazyEyez

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

ya i know bill, its probably cheaper the closer you get to the refinery. Jon i read that whole explaination of what ethonol is and isn’t, it looks like just what you said about so many btu’s per measured fuel. If this is the case as ethonol being to thin as not to hold enough btu’s because it burns to fast then why not boi diesel, is it more or less expensive to make then ethonol. Im just taking a guess but because its a cruder form of fuel compared to the thinner fuels maybe its easier to make because of less refining. I seen a docimentary on tv a few months ago and this guy says he thinks the future holds bio deisel as a better all around fuel. It dosen’t produce the rpm’s that thinner fuels do put it produces more power because it burns slower and has more btu’s per gallon. Effeciency verses rpm’s it sound slike. Look at all the corn oil thats being used by everday house holds and i know thats easier to make than ethonol. They had a guy on tv here that lives just south of here and hes been putting used cooking oil in his diesel powered car that hes been picking up at the local restaurants and running it through a filter then just pouring it into his car, i guess it runs fine, it showed him driving off in it after he just poured a 5 gallon can in his tank. The state sent him a bill for unpaid taxes because he was doing this, i guess he had to pay it because he used it in transportation on the roads.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I know that in the 1800’s and very erly 1900’s that gasoline was a by product of refining oil, they had no use for it and just burned it off. Then came along the internal combustion engine in the automobile. They designed it to use this by product that was called gasoline. Everybody liked it that could afford a car because they went fast. As time went by transportation was designed around gasoline then came the diesel engine that burned a cheaper fuel like what was being made befor when gasoline was a non usable product. Maybe its time to look at thicker fuels, they may not go as fast, except in jet aircraft that burn kerosene. They hold more btu’s and are less expensive to make, who cares if you can’t go 500 miles an hour, i just want to get there without walking and do it as cheap as i can, i can still buy those neat rims lol and maybe for the bait trailer too. Ya bait trailer.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I recently saw this on the discovery channel, but it was natural gas, not gasoline.

Now, for the important question:
    Hurricanes have more of an impact on gas prices than Republicans?
    If that is the truth, there are going to be a lot of left leaning folks scratching their heads.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

hmmm didn’t know that Criss and i don’t doubt you, i always new that natural gas was burnt off to keep the site safe. I’ll have to do some checking as i thought i was told this in high school.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

All this just goes to show that these $*#(@(!s control everything they can. This proves that they raise and lower prices as they see fit, and just use the ‘supply and demand’ rhetoric as a cover. Sure, supply and demand does make a difference, but when the price drops like it has the last week alone, you KNOW something’s up. There are puppets out there, and the big boys are the ones holding the strings. They can control whatever they want, and now they’re rubbing that in your face with elections coming up.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

All this just goes to show that these $*#(@(!s control everything they can. This proves that they raise and lower prices as they see fit, and just use the ‘supply and demand’ rhetoric as a cover. Sure, supply and demand does make a difference, but when the price drops like it has the last week alone, you KNOW something’s up. There are puppets out there, and the big boys are the ones holding the strings. They can control whatever they want, and now they’re rubbing that in your face with elections coming up.

I believe this discussion have proved exactly the opposite.

-J.

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

Entirely correct, supply and demand almost has ZERO impact. In todays world its futures, buying, selling, and trading them that dictate the price. A large sell-off is what we hope for as consumers.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Fiilled up in Des Moines tonight 2.31 for ethanol.

gregh
    s.e. minn

This whole topic is really been beat to death!! I can’t believe the ADMIN. hasn’t killed it.There’s nothing that you or I can do to change it, quit whinning about gas prices. I’d rather see people sharing fishing reports and techniques then pointing fingers and blaming people about who’s fault it is. You don’t like the gas prices then quit driving!! Enough.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

$2.49 at Treasure Island today.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

$2.34 in southern iowa yersterday.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

I just wish diesel would get back to where it should be!

eyebuster
    Duluth

Gas hit 2.16 today in St. Charles

Makes it a little easier to get away this fall

krisko
    Durand, WI

Must be nice 2.47 here!

col._klink
    St Paul

$2.17 in Lino Lakes

Keep this ball rolling

krisko
    Durand, WI

It’s free I hear in Iraq just depends if you have an IED at the enterance to the gas station or not and if you AK is loaded.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Price of gas here today was the liver and onion special at Joes Diner. $4.99 and gas all day!

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

$2.14 in Marshalltown, Ia this afternoon. Pretty soon I can start driving my old truck again.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.