Flutterbug Lure?

• elheldt
    N E Iowa

In the early part of the 1960’s, I bought this lure at a hardware store in Fairbank, Ia. It was a strip of metal about 2 1/2 in. long and 1/2 in. wide stamped in a sort of flatened out S shape with a single hook welded on the end. It had a single feather on the hook to hide the hook. I think it was made in Independence, Ia. When I returned from the Army I couldn’t find them anymore. Any oldtimers here remember this lure? Thanks~~~Gene~~~

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I remember the flatened out semi spoon that had a single hook riveted to the spoon with one or two feathers to hide the hook, it also has stamping in the metal to make a flash but never seen an s shaped style lure. Never heard of a lure made in independence, interisting! Whats it do and how do you work it? Can you possibly get a picture, I’d like to see one.

elheldt
    N E Iowa

Mossy, what I meant by flatened S shape was may be better described as wave shaped or shaped like an S tipped on its side and flatened to a gentle wave. Its name, flutterbug also described its motion. It kind of vibrated when pulled thru the water. That has been over 50 odd years ago and I still think about it when I am searching for the right lure to use.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Did it have any angeled notching on the end where the hook was and the gauge of metal kind of thin, thinner than a regular spoon? Boy thats along time ago, im sitting here scratching my head thinking did I or didn’t I. Its fairly easy imagining a spoon like that, that matched to the memory makes me scratch my head. Chrome plated and 1/2″ wide like you say, if it was chrome plated i want to say yes

jiggin

Thinker;
    Daredevil ( I think thats epplinger spoons ) Used to make a spoon like that,and they may still. There are other companies that make diffrent sizes of thin spoons on that order.
    I used to use a small spoon like that with a minnow under a bobber for crappie and walleye. In the area of the Great Lakes you should be able to find these by diffrent companies in various sizes as they use the bigger ones with down riggers for trout and salmon. Good luck.
    Cooker

elheldt
    N E Iowa

Mossy. It was the thickness of a quarter and painted Either yellow or red. The hook was on the top side as it was pulled in the water. The feather may have been a small duck feather. I caught my first walleye on it, but also caught bass catfish and crappy on it. I pretty much used it exclusivly. Gene

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I don’t remember those Thinker, not in yellow or red. Im thinking of a waved strip of metal now, a waved lure and a 1/2″ wide or a little narrower like you say but in chrome? The ones im thinking of now were chrome and they made a small model that came in a smaller box and it seems it was 1 1/2″ long and you could use it for trout. I went trout fishing with my dad alot and i was about 12 then. The one im thinking about wasen’t the u shaped lure that was also about 3/8ths to 1/2″ wide that rolled back and fourth and came in diffrent sizes, one side of it was longer than the other and it had a small treble hook with a snap ring that connected it too the lure, rememeber that one?

elheldt
    N E Iowa

Mossy and cooker. Thanks for the replys.~~ Gene ~~

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.