Where do you guys get bullheads?

• gordonk
    mpls

I’ve used suckers before, but since everyone is raving about using bullheads, I’ll fall for it. Can I just go out and catch them where ever I want? I thought you couldn’t transport them. Any heads up would be appreciated.

blue_perch
    Sparta WI

As long as you catch the bullheads in the same river or lake that you are fishing in you can use them for bait. You can’t catch them in one lake and use them in another. Must also stay in your daily bag limit. As far as catching them, fish in the mud with worms on the bottom. We ususally catch them while fishing for perch. Hope this helps. Jesse

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You can transport live bullheads in Wisconsin.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure what the laws are outside of MN..but here’s the MN laws as the are today…and they will be changing next year..(fingers crossed).

Moores Bait and Tackle handle them in Richfield MN along with Evert’s Resort near Redwing…I would call first as supply and demand changes daily.

Again in MN a bullhead 7″ and under is considered a minnow. A licensed angler can trans port 288 live bullhead “minnows”. The body of water they are taken from can not be listed as “infested” water.

One can use a larger bullhead if caught in the same body of water that it will be used…UNLESS it’s infested (zebra mussel, milfoil…just to name a few)

Normally rules and laws in states other than MN are more lax.

blue_perch
    Sparta WI

But can you fish with them in different body of water than the one you catch them on?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Blue Perch, i’m not sure if your question is to me or Whisker…but in MN…

They are considered a minnow…just like a fathead or crappie minnow…all three can’t be taken from “infested waters”…

Other wise they can be used anywhere….within the state…it’s unlawful to transport minnow over the state lines in any direction with out the proper DNR papers.

Again…this is Minnesota.

blue_perch
    Sparta WI

Thanks, I was under the impression that in Wisconsin you can only use fish as bait caught in the same waters. I think a bullhead is a bullhead no matter what the size in Wisconsin, but I’m not sure. None of the bait shops in WI sell bullheads as bait only willowcats and that’s only on the Mississippi. I’ve never seen them anywhere else.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Welcome Blue Perch. Good to see another Spart’n on the site

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You can’t transport live fish in Minnesota unless they are minnows. This is the wdnr website FAQ about using fish as bait.

DNR FAQ

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.