What will effect gas prices….??????

• TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

After reading a lot of stuff on where gas prices are expected to go, and how they are going to effect all the costs we have to bare in our society, what will really make a difference in fuel costs that we consumers can do?? I would really like to leave politics out of this, so please refrane!! This article was in the Star Trib today, and if we do all these things, and if it does cut our consumption, will that really effect the price of fuel?? One would think it should, if we use the old “supply and demand” theory. I am thinking that a lot of folks are changing their travel habits, vacations, and trips. This should conserve huge amounts for fuel, and thus bring down the cost of fuel. I know that guys are cancelling fishing trips, people are cutting down the number of fishing trips, and lots of guys are going to fish closer to home. What effect do folks think these measures will have on the price of fuel?? Star Trib

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

This is why I went with a 4-stroke. I actually planned more trips this summer. I cant sit at home and think about the fish I could have caught. Wanna play you gotta pay I guess. We are at the mercy of these [censored] oil companies that feel the need to take advantage of us.

big_g
    Isle, MN

gas is a commodity we can’t do without, so the gouging is tolerated. its kind of like auto insurance. you have to have it. gas is more of a joke, because if the station down the street hikes his price, all the others around it do to. i heard a while back, the only way to stop them from gouging, is to mess with the supply chain. in other words, fill up only on tuesdays, so the ground tanks get emptied, and then they are paying drivers overtime tuesday and wednesday to fill them up, while they can drive around having nothing to do thursday thru monday.

big g

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

What effect do folks think these measures will have on the price of fuel?? Star Trib

None what so ever…..

-J.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

There is no gouging. Gas is cheap, it was really cheap, now it is just cheap. Get over it.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Those suggestions by the Strib made me laugh. How euphorian…. Let’s just all make sure our tires are correctly inflated and obey the speed limit….. Yeah right! Want to read a report with some credibility? Read this one.

Oil

It’s all about the futures market. If Iran keeps threatening to wipe Isreal off the face of the earth, prices will continue to go in one direction….. No way you can take politics out of the price of a gallon of gas.

-J.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Jon pretty much hit the nail on the head…

The Bush admin needs to crack the whip on Iran and quit calling bluffs..

The Star and Trib really cracks me up. Still living in a fantasy world.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

This is the same conversation we have every summer, oil prices higher then ever, and there are a million thoughts on why.

My theory on why prices are high, Because they can

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

I didn’t want to start a political arguement, that is why I stated the question the way I did. I just wanted to see what other folks thought about what the media thinks will help the problem. You really don’t think that I don’t know that this is all politically motivated……that is kind of an insult. Obviously, you think the rest of us are a little dim witted.. Praise to the great Jon………

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

This is really going to effect everything in my family’s life. Like how many times I can take the kids skiing & tubing plus fishing. In another post I said I filled my boat on Friday & it cost $110.00 to do it. When I’m fishing I can run the kicker & that’s alot cheaper to run, but I also take the kids to the river or lake & they don’t allways want to fish the all the time like dad. So this will kill the econmy very fast.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Geronimo predicts: The only measure that will reduce oil/gas prices to any significant degree from here on out will be when the supply of oil goes to Zero or our demand goes to Zero then the price we pay per gallon will go to Zero!!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Obviously, you think the rest of us are a little dim witted.. Praise to the great Jon………

I’m as frustrated as everyone else is. As with anything that affects my life, I’m more of a realist and don’t look to lay blame on anyone. I simply want to know facts.

I’m also not going to spend a lot of time dwelling on it. I did the math and figured out how much more money I’ll need this year to run the same amount of gas I ran the last few. Reality: I can handle that number pretty easily. A lot more easily than I could if there were no gas at all. Now THAT would be a problem!

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

There was a talk show on last week talking about the amount of fuel being consumed as a whole. I believe the statistics where that we are comsuming 20% more oil than what is being found anualy. Along with this there are more countries with greater demand for oil compeating for what is out there. Its starting to look to me like trying to conserve a little fuel on our vehicles might be a very small part to solving this problem. Sure hope the powers to be are not just talking about it but are working on a solution to our needs.

Myself, as a small services company owner who pays out about $1000 per month to run 3 vehicles, am taking a good look at ways to cut these costs. Cutting the areas we service and shifting our work week to 4 ten hour days may be a start. Looking a little closer at where our suppliers are located and not so much on cost from them is also in mind. If fuel cost get much worse we may just have our customers bring there faulty faucets and toilets to us to fix.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I’m just down right confused. This has been going on for a long time.(the high prices). The big question has been “why?” In 40 years when I’m talking to my grandkids,….What am I going to say when they ask why oil went up so fast in the 2000’s? I guess the answer will be,……ahhhh,…..ummmmm,….I dunno. This just bites

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I went to the Twins game on Saturday with the wife, 4 total hours, $120 spent. If we brought the kids, $200. That is with the $21 upper deck tickets behind home plate NOT lower level.

Movie-2 hours tops, family of 4, $40 or so for tickets and $20 or so for popcorn/snacks/beverage.

Underwater World At Mall of America-1 hour likely, 2 hours tops, $15/adults $10 kids, that is $50 for family of 4.

So your $110 for a day on the water w/ the family skiing/tubing is still cheap.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Did you ever think that maybe fuel prices are lot high. Its just that wages are to low.

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

So then, what everyone is saying is that cutting corners, conserving on fuel, and all the other measures that have been suggested won’t help fuel costs. I guess there is no reason to do any of them….thank you for all your input. I guess I will fish this year, the same as I did last year.

mikem
    SE Minnesota

Most of our boats are already “Hybrids” hey, were ahead of this game!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

So then, what everyone is saying is that cutting corners, conserving on fuel, and all the other measures that have been suggested won’t help fuel costs.

That’s it! Conservation will have little effect on the price you pay at the pump. The euphorians want you to believe it will, but that is not the case.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I agree Mike W. Employers need to open an eye to this as well. I just got an 18 cent raise and just about fell out of my chair.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Dave, at what amount is it not cheap ? $5 a gallon, maybe $10, everybody has their threshold. Whats yours ?

big g

Dave, you don’t work at Koch do you ?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Dont let my employies see that post.

Yea Joe, I also believe conservation is a good idea but dont think it will effect the price of gas one drop. Hard to say that cutting usuage 5% or 10% would make any differance. Would even 50% or more make a differance? Sounds like if we dont use the oil some one else will step up and buy it.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

I went to the Twins game on Saturday with the wife, 4 total hours, $120 spent. If we brought the kids, $200. That is with the $21 upper deck tickets behind home plate NOT lower level.

Movie-2 hours tops, family of 4, $40 or so for tickets and $20 or so for popcorn/snacks/beverage.

Underwater World At Mall of America-1 hour likely, 2 hours tops, $15/adults $10 kids, that is $50 for family of 4.

So your $110 for a day on the water w/ the family skiing/tubing is still cheap.

The numbers you give didn’t include gas, mine didn’t include food or other thing used during or numerous lake or river trips. So it is real easy to put those number out without gas prices included.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I heard on the radio today that if the East and West coast start using ethonol that our gas prices will likely go up again! That’s becase the oil companies do use a certain amout of Ethonol to make gas. The ethonol would then be in short supply causing the gas prices to rise with the price of Ethonol used to make it!What a racket!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I’m doing my best to help conserve.. I cant afford to fill my tank to go anywhere

I dont even consider what it takes for the boat for a fishing outing.. My boat is small and so is the tank.. but it shouldnt cost $20 to fill a 6 gallon can and buy the 2 cycle to mix it.

Gas prices are not going to go dawn significantly until Bush is out of office.. and it may not then.. Bush has his hands in the oil industry pretty deep. Its not in his best interest to lose money and he is pretty much in control, or at least a heavy influence in one way or another.

For whatever the reason.. the gas prices suck. We, the consumer suffer most in the end. The fuel prices filter through everything. When your as poor as I am, you notice when everything gets more expensive when you run out of money before you have enough gas to keep working, and enough food to feed the family.

Its only going to get worse.

Theres still fishing! Just may have to ride the bike to get there pretty soon.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Talked with my neighbor and one other person in the last week that both had quit there jobs due to long comutes and took lower paying jobs closer to home. Good for them.

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

I guess I JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND last fall they raised prices because refinerys were damaged in hurricane now there just as high why.The only way gas prices are going to go down is for this country to make as big a effort on finding other sources of fuel and to do that they have to make it as much a priority as they did as when they put a man on the moon

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

I wanna know how much our good ole pres and his pops are lining their pockets right now. The last time gas prices went up at a percentage like this was when pops was in office. Kind of makes you wonder about some underlying issues. I mean why would Jr. being a big oil guy step in and do something too control the price of a barrel of oil? Anyone else ever thought of this or am I way off base?

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Exaactly like you said, beacause they can. Prices go up 50 cents and then they drop it twenty and people think its great. Nobody can say it has nothing to do with politics. Just my opinion.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

But in Minnesota the gas prices are not set by supply & demand, because the state set’s a min. price for gas. Which is just plain stupid.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.