Need help with my 25 hp Johnson(93)

• tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

This oviously looks like a water pump problem but wonder how this motor I bought on consignment on Feb 1 2006 isnt spitting out water now. This motor spit out water in the dealership and ran great so I bought it. I tried starting it up last weekend and yesterday and there is no water coming out of the engine. Do you think it needs more water than putting the hose and muffs to it or even a tub full of eater that only goes as high as the vents. How about the thermostat? Could that just not be getting to the right temp andt thats why its not spitting out any water. Any help would be greatly appreciated and as soon as possible would also be great as the walleye season is right around the corner……….

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Insects might have crawled in the vent and plugged it ovewr the winter. Also, sometimes when I have muffs hooked up to the motor I don’t always get water to come out the pee hole. If you let it run for awhile and you have a good seal with the muffs, you should get the water to come out.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

i have a 97 evinrude 25 hp short elec….DO NOT USE MUFFS. i found this out last spring the hard way. 3 new waterpumps in one day the muffs did not allow sufficient waterflow and smoked 3 new pumps before i wised up and put it in a garbage can. it took 20-30 sec of water starvation from the muffs to melt 3 new pump impellers right to the cup. put it in a can and run it to start w/. if it still doesnt’t spit. you need a pump pm me and i’ll walk you through it i’m a master at it now

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Could be you have a small amount of water frozen in the pee-hole tubing. Ususally get’s freed up after the motor has warmed up.

Otherwise, it’s probably has a thermostat that needs to open up after the motor warms up.

-J.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

3 pumps @ 60.00 ea plus gas and a wasted day for a set of 10.00 muffs….i smashed them w/ a post mall and felt better

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

I had a 96 that did the same thing. Check the water tube first to see it its plugged, thats what happened with mine, once I unplugged it, it was just fine.

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

Thanks guys for the help. I may not of had enough water in the tub as it only went over the vents barely.
    Im taking to a marina and the guy was really nice and said he would put it in the tank and run it and see whats going on.
    It sat in my garage for a month upright so maybe something is froze up in there…with walleye fishing right around the corner I need this or the 9.9 will have to do…..

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

If there is no water coming out its unsafe to let the motor keep running isnt it. I dont want to ruin it just trying to wait for the water to warm up do I…

pyake

I had a 97 Mariner that used to get garbage built up in the pee hole because the nozzle was a restriction in the line. Used to take a paper clip to open it up every once in awhile.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Just becouse it’s no peeing out the hose doesn’t mean it’s not pumping water. Check the exhaust port, where most of the water comes out. I had my hose blocked once but water was still coming out the exhaust and the motor didn’t overheat. That us just an indicator telling you it’s pumpinn water.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The “pee-hole” is just an indicator. Just because water is not coming out the indicator tube, doesn’t mean you don’t have water cooling the motor. Also, on motors like my 25hpMerc, no water circulates to the top of the motor until the thermostat opens up. Probably the same deal on your Johnson.

You said in your first message that the motor ran fine 6 weeks ago, right? There would need to be something to cause the water pump or impeller to fail. These things don’t break or wear out just sitting around!

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

Thanks guys for all the help. Watch our walleyes, the motor is now spitting out water after running it in a garbage can………now the exhaust is just outragous………..but I hear thats normal………..thanks again for all the help guys and good luck on the water…..

waterfowler99
    Midwest

“working fine now that in a can”

ggoody
    Mpls MN

I bet the impellar is partially melted and will fail soon.

Great call waterfowler99…….

Muffs suck!!!!!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Muffs suck!!!!!

I never thought I would hear that

shastafishin
    Shasta County, Northern California

John is this still an active forum. I appreciated your
    comments on my 25hp Johnson and water not coming out
    of the pee hole. I was half afraid to let it continue
    running when nothing came out of the engine. Also helpful
    knowing those ear muffs might not provide enough water for
    testing

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.