should women register for the draft?

• tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Although we have an all volunteer military, males are once again required to register for the draft upon turning 18. When I happened to mention that I thought females should register as well my wife called me all kinds of insensitive jerk type stuff.
    My thought was equal pay, equal opportunity…there should be equal registration requirements, too.
    For what it’s worth,our youngest daughter is a bosun’s mate in the USCG. She expects–and gets–equal treatment as her male counterparts.
    Also–I was a career professional firefighter before retirement. We had a half-dozen females on the job when I left, getting same pay as the guys. Only ONE of these females has enough physical ability to drag a co-worker out of a fire.
    Whaddya say? Should equal opportunity in the military also carry with it equal responsibility to register for the draft?

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Where is your daughter stationed in the USCG, my brother is stationed in Bayfield WI.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Two words for ya: TITLE IX.

Hell yes they should be included, they get a piece of every other pie that men have.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Ted!
    Technically females in the military are not in forward combat units. In reality in Iraq our female soldiers are carrying weapons and in firefights all the time. From what I’ve heard they are doing a commendable job too. I don’t see any reason they shouldn’t have to register.

dd

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

What is the reasoning behind not having them in the draft. They have equal opportunity for everything else…i guess it irritates me

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Having spent 20 years in the Navy in the erra of opening up everything to women AND gays… DON’T GET ME STARTED!.

bare67
    Metro MN

I agree, be carefull what you wish for, I am an ex-marine and would have a problem with it. Don’t take any offense, but women in my opinion, should not be on the front line, so why have them register for the draft.

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

I don’t think America will ever draft women, we are not prepared to see dead mangled women on the news. They also say men soldiers mill around the dead women, causing the troops to be vulnerable.

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

i just turned 18 and had to regester. i truly think wemon should have to also. as much as i hate to admit it but i know a couple wemon tougher than me. equal rights? my not true. another thing i found funny. when you regester by mail in card you have to pay for the stamp too. wow. just my opinion though

wyatt

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

Definitely not. USMC India Company 3rd Bn 1St Marine Regiment
    Question for Ted was reading one of your articles in Wisconsin Outdoors who is Mary Christensen? Mary don’t get mad at him it’s a simple mistake. Great articles Ted.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If they would have women register…would the military teach them to install there own ceiling fans…?

If so, I’m all for it!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

YES, to your question.

Brian, YOU CRACK ME UP. Change the fans, then go fishing, will see you on the water soon.
    Jack..

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

I don’t think women should register. And I don’t believe women should be doing a man’s job. From experience I can justly say this. I’ve had to work like a man and do mens hard working jobs a good share of my life. Believe me it takes a toll on the body. Our bodies are not made like a man. And I am suffering for thinking and doing just that. Wish someone could get this through these young girls heads.
    Tom I have not read the artical Ted wrote about me. Where can I find a copy of this? Until I read it I can’t be angry with him

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

fishing machine,
    there are many many jobs in all the branches of the Military that do not have to be guy type jobs. If everyone, who can, does their part, WE will ALL be better for it, and we will have a stronger and better country.
    Jack..

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Everything has gone down hill since we gave them the right to vote.

I say, you want to serve then register. You want half then register. You want to play with the big boys then register.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Everything has gone down hill since we gave them the right to vote.

Eyedoctor! That’s my line!

Everything has gone down hill since 1919!

(kiddingly of course. I don’t want my big sister coming after me with the broom again!)

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

Sorry Mary when I’m done reading those I drop them off at hospitals and nursing homes; so I don’t have it anymore. I think it was the one he was talking about the crappie fishing on Desoto Bay maybe Ted can get you one. Take care of yourself, too bad we got that snow and Herb couldn’t make it.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I voted no only because of thier physical strength even though they can fight and return fire. Carrying wounded away is one of the problems i have with this but roles away from the line is ok with me.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Wouldn’t it be great if neither one was required to register and the world were a more peaceful place.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I voted Yes. Women should register for the draft.

However women, if drafted should never be assigned any combat duty. Plenty of other jobs to be done in support.

Quote:

males are once again required to register for the draft

Ted, that statement is kinda missleading. Men have had to register for the draft for as long as I can remember. It’s not like it just started…..

-J.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Wouldn’t it be great if neither one was required to register and the world were a more peaceful place.

I hear you on that one Sgt. Rock.

I voted yes. They may not have the physical strength, but I think most women have a stronger disposition then men in trying situations. I don’t think they should be on the front lines, or in situations where physical strength or stamina would put other persons at risk! Keep all our soliders safe.

And once again, to all our soliders THANKS

TGM
    Lakeville,MN.

I voted yes,could you imagine 50,000 women bitching at the enemy

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I have only met one woman in my 13 years in the army that could hump a ruck. That is one out of hundreds I have worked with. Unfortunately If and when we start to draft people they will go to the infantry. Oh my god the unfairness of it all.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Quote:

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Peace on Earth??? That is a silly wish……It has never happened…..Since the beginning of man, there has always been some type of conflict/war. There will always be until the end of time…..

As for the draft. Yes, women should be included in the registration and they should also be included in the draft.

However, women have no business in combat situations. Reason for my statement is that women are not held to the same physical standards as their male counterparts are.

Women soldiers are required to carry about 70% of the physical fitness that men are in the military. With that said, a woman is not going to be up to the same physical standards as the majority of the men soldiers.

For the Army (When I was in until 2000)
    Basic physical fitness test are:
    1) A certain amount of push-ups in a set amount of time.
    2) A certain amount of sit-ups in a set amount of time.
    3) Run 2 miles within a set amount of time.

All three of the activities are coordinated together and must be performed within a 10 minute interval of each other.

Lastly…..There are A LOT of male solders who cannot pull their counterparts out of a burning building. That is not part of being “fit for combat”. There are no “standards” specific for combat fighting. Just the general physical fitness test standards.

fishncrackers

If I’m hijacking a thread, just scream at me and I will apologize and disengage here…
    my concern is with why has not a call up of the draft been instituted?
    Our military (and country) are in a mess and Bush doesn’t have the ‘noids to do what needs to be done because it would be a potitically bad move.

Our military has been stretched to a breaking point and hopefulloy no other situation will come up to further stress it.

Pray for peace.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

No hi-jacking at all! Good question.

Truth to the fact is that are military is stronger and better than it ever has been. We are using our reserves (National Guard) just the way they are intended for!

Our military is by no means, stretched this today.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I agree with Garys post. When I was in, mid 80’s, there were alot of female soldiers in my company. They had a different set of standards, as far as physically. There are other jobs they can do, just not front lines.

big g

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

You guys got me thinking. I agree that women should not be placed in the front lines, but isn’t that going to give them all the good noncombat, cushy jobs, and therefore make the men pissed off that they have to do all the hard work while the women sit on their . I know I would be pissed if I had to go to combat, and all the women get better treatment with the segregation of jobs.

Just my $.02

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.