Almost lost my buddy yesterday!

• Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Just a word of caution! I your dog likes to eat stuff other then what he/she is supposed to, please keep an on them.

My dog is one of those that will surf the counters or eat what she’s not supposed to when your gone. Well, the past week she would ocassionally get sick and vomit, but be fine the next day. Until Thursday evening when she wouldn’t stop. We brought her in and they took an X-Ray of her stomach and it was full of something including three staples. Surgery was a must if her blood work came back o.k.. What could happen is that the “stuff” in her stomach, depending on how long it was in there could have started to become toxic and start shutting down her organs. Then the other option would be to have her put down.

The blood work was fine and the surgery went great. They removed about 2 ziplock sandwich bags full of stuff (carpet) and I’m on my way to bring her home!!!!

So PLEASE don’t ignore the signs!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good post and reminder!

….dang dogs!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Some say to force feed them peroxide to force vomit. I thought my dog swallow a lapel pin one time and the vet told me to use the peroxide and I did. Well he puked all right, then I found the pin under the couch.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

As carful as I Am with the De con rat poison…….yup. I had both dogs get into it. $400 later,…..But I still got my buddies. Always be watching what they’re getting into.

kiko

Peroxide can be used to induce vomiting. A tablespoon is usually enough. Wait 15 minuites and repeat if it is not. However be careful when you are not sure what the dog swallowed. A pin or other sharp object can do much damage coming back up. The peroxide should be used mainly for ingested non caustic poisons (rat poison, chocolate, anti-freeze)and foreign objects that you see them eat that are not sharp or likely to tear the lining of the esouphagus. I have removed tennis ball parts, carpet, bone chunks, part of a tennis shoe, diapers ……. Gourmets they are not. Call your vet if you are unsure or symptoms persist. The greatest risk is in waiting to long.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Steve,

I’m sure your vet bill won’t be a fun one to receive, but thank goodness your pooch is going to be OK.

Curt

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks Louie. My new vet told me the same.. My pup just lost his manhood today. $317

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Two dogs…daughter came home late and found part of the TV remote chewed on…a small part. Called me while fishing off the coast of CA to tell me the dogs ate the remote…batteries and all. But she didn’t know which one!

$400. and two x-rayed dogs later….no remote in the pups

Wife and I get home two days later and it was in the couch EXACTLY where my wife told my daughter to look….

robby
    Quad Cities

My last bird dog, Ripley ate a trash bag. We had to have it surgically removed from him. He was fine after that until Lyme’s Disease set it. He was vaccinated against it. Long story, finally had him put down after recurrent bouts which is rare. The manufacturer of the vacciene payed the vet bills. Sad for me. I miss him.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

My German Short Hair got ahold of a package of ring worms once, never did have any negitive effects on her but I was picking them up out of the back yard the next few days.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hmmmm scented ring worms….HEY DAVE! I HAVE AN IDEA!

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Thanks for all the support guys! Latest report is she is in good spirits and is drinking well, but hasn’t eaten any solids yet. Doc says thats pretty normal. Maybe I should bring her some more of that rug she ate. I bet thats what she really wants!

JTBagwell
    Andalusia, IL

I have a Rottweiler that thinks he is 1/2 Hoover Vacuum
    sweeper. That sucker will eat anything he can fit in his
    mouth. A lot of the time we catch him and make him drop it, but Lord only knows what he eats when we aren’t looking.

JT Bagwell

vmccartney

Imagine that your buddy is as bad as the kids.(gotta watch all the time)
    I lost my black lab last May to incureable allergins. It was a pretty tough waterfowl season without her. I just wish my son could have the opportunity to hunt over a good dog like she was. She is saddly missed.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Welcome to IDA Vern!
    They do become a family member, don’t they?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.