Fireline knot failure is driving me nutty!

• Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Help!!!!!!!!!

I feel like I’m in the twilight zone. I’ve used fireline for years, it’s great stuff, casts beautifully in this cold weather, the line itself is very strong, never ever had a problem with it until last year. One day I bought a new spool, loaded up my reel, tied on a s.r. with a palamour knot (like I’ve done for years) and proceeded to lose the lure on the first slightest hang up. I brought the spool back to G.M., they looked at me like I was nuts. I bought a spool at Joe’s loaded up my reel-same thing-the slightest tug and poof my lure was history. I’ve searched the forums and can’t find anybody else having any problems.

I see fireline now has on it’s box “BREAKTHROUGH! Higher knot strength”-aha!! It wasn’t me! I buy a spool of 8lb, tie up a jig, do a tug test with my digital scale and it pops at the knot at 5lbs. I notice on the box that the “BEAKTHROUGH” message is a stick on label.

Thanks Cabala’s!

I’ve tried Sten and Power Pro braided line but I haven’t had much luck with them on my spinning reels, at least in cold weather. They both tend to twist up coming off the spool on a cast.

I know mono is highly recommended by a lot of very good fisherman on this site and I’ve tried it, but have found my hook setting percentage suffers a lot.

The best solution I’ve come up with so far is to tie on a 6′ mono leader with a blood knot-for some reason a line to line blood knot is stronger, it breaks at about 11lbs pretty consistantly.

My hope is to increase my knot strength, be able to set the hook better, have the advantage of fireline’s castability, and gain the advantage of mono when sweeping the jig. James or Dustin or anyone else who knows-do you think this will work????????

Am I the only one having this problem? Anybody have any better suggestions? I would appreciate very much any input, ideas, suggestions, etc…

Good fishn to ya!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

For awhile I thought it was in my head

Earth to Mack,

There is NOTHING in your head, heck even the hair left.

Ron

I know I will pay but it was worth it.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

They both tend to twist up coming off the spool on a cast

Are you positive you’re putting the line on the reel the same direction it came off the spool???

waterfowler99
    Midwest

two people i knoe had the same problem last year. they both fish bass tournaments, and one of them broke 3 fish off . they called the company and the rep told them to ripp it all off of their spools and next dayed them line. when i asked what the problem was all i gat was “bad batch”. i would call the manufacturer and see whats up

waterfowler99
    Midwest

mack, i myself have had no problems w/ this company. its just what they informed me

paul follmer
    any where there biting

I have had the same problem i was fishing a Lowrance tourney in Devils lake had lots of problems with knot strength.

I was taught a new knot by a local,

Its like a double polamar with a twist. It is hard to explain on the internet. I wish I could show you. when he tied it with the same line i was having trouble with it floored me on how tough the knot really was. I am sorry I wish I could figure out a way to explain.

I will think and try again later.

I can tell you my partner was using a stren line it was a yellow type super tough and the walleyes didnt mind a bit. Hell he was pulling up whole trees and the fish.

The fish where biting so good I thought it was yesterday

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Time for power pro

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Post deleted by Ryan Hale

jbob
    Hastings, MN

It doesn’t matter what line company that you buy your line from, they all may have a bad batch once in a while. I know that at Spirit Lake , IA where the line is made that they run quality checks quite often on all of the line. Like some one above said they called and got new line sent overnight. Did they have the same problem again? They never said that. As far as customer service I have had nothing but excellant customer service from them when needed.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Jim, I’m sorry to hear you’re having this trouble. I’ve used fireline for quite a few years now and have never had this problem. Anytime I hear of this my first thought is that it’s most likely a bad batch of Fireline. I don’t know the exact quality control rates at Berkley but I would guess that over 99 percent of the line that gets put on the shelf is high quality. That still means that we have a small chance of getting a bad spool at times.

It’s good that you brought this issue to this forum so you can get some advice on this and hopefully it’ll help anyone else who has had a similar problem with the line. The thing to do in this situation is to contact Berkley and let them know you got a bad spool of line. They’ll make arrangements to exchange it for you. Be courteous in your communication and you might even ask for a free samle bag of Power Bait or Gulp! Baits.

Here’s their contact info:

Berkley
    Pure Fishing America
    1900 18th St.
    Spirit Lake, IA 51360-1099
    Tel: 1-800-237-5539
    E-mail: [email protected]

Good luck and please let us know how this turns out for you. If you run into any trouble please send me a PM.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

eyedoc – break out that digital camera and take a few pics of this knot as it’s being tied. I’d be interested in seeing it and giving it a try. Thanks – Kurt

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Thanks for bringing this up.I have been selling quite a bit of both power-pro and fireline here and use both myself.No issues to date,that I am aware of The majority is in 6&8 # test.Keep us posted!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Jim.. I would switch over to power pro. It can have an attitude when its new on spinning rigs, but breaks in very quickly. It seems when its new it has a build up of excess dye, once that extra build up comes off, it will be very limber and works great on spinning gear. Fire line will never perform to the level of power pro once its broke in. Fireline is stiff in comparison.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Slop Bass,
    I think I’ve been doing that right. When I got that twist I removed my hook and let bare line out behind the moving boat for 30 seconds or so to straighten it out. I had problems again after doing that. Your post did make me think though, I know that closing the bail after a cast with the reel handle puts a twist in the line. I also know that reeling against your drag puts twist in your line big time-I back reel. I’m going to get into the habit of closing my bail with my hand for now on. Maybe that will help.

Eyedoctor,
    It would be great if you could figure out how to illustrate this or perhaps it has a name that could be put in a search engine?

jbob,
    I would be happy if it’s just a bad batch. Every product made under the sun has a bad batch occasionally, but getting a bad spool from 3 different dealers at three different times would be quite a coincidence. Besides, again, Berkley has made the “BREAKTHROUGH” sticker-that’s an admission that there’s been a need to address the subject. I guess it’s possible that this particular spool is a bad batch of the new “BREAKTHROUGH” line.

Wade,
    Thanks for the contact info, I will give them a call and post what they say.

Dean,
    If you aren’t getting any complaints, maybe it’s just me, and maybe I can be fixed-lol. The thing is though, it would be like having a teenager forget how to tie his shoe. I don’t think senility is likely yet either-lol again. One other fact that I didn’t mention is that this is the pink stuff. Are you selling a lot of that?

Fisher Dave,
    I still have a rod rigged and will try it some more. I thought of rigidity with the fireline. I tried making it more pliable before tying the knot by doing the ol shoe shine motion on the edge of a bread board-it didn’t work.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I’ll keep you posted.

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Good Idea Kurt, I can have the girl friend take pictures while I tie then i will post under new topic so all can see.

Might be a good knot for all super lines.

Great question and discussion.

Thanks everyone

The fish where biting so good I thought it was yesterday

Bassn Dan

While I haven’t used the new Fireline yet, I have noticed that Palomar knots on the original Fireline sometimes tend to tighten up before the knot was cinched all the way down. Wetting the line and pulling SLOWLY on either the tag end, or main line (whichever pulls the easiest) usually works well for me. If the knot tightens before I can work it down to whatever I’m tying on, it will usually be weak – especially if the line is dry.

One other thing. Giving the line a couple of yanks to test the knot is a habit I picked up after a couple of unfortunate knot experiences.

Good luck.

Dan

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Try a different knot. I use an improved clinch knot with fireline and have had great success with it. I also love sensation mono!

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Well, I’ve got news to report. I did talk to Burkely’s customer service department. They haven’t had a rash of complaints. They asked me to send the spool back to them so they could test it. I received a replacement spool in the mail today with no comment from them. The only thing is they replaced the 8lb line with 6lb line. I just can’t seem to get a break (pardon the pun) with this line business.

Here’s the good news though. I did a purely unscientific test on the spool they sent me. I tried 5 break tests with my digital scale. This 6lb line broke at: 10lb 6oz, 11lb 3oz, 14lb 5oz, 11lb 12oz and 10lb 10oz.
    This line is as tough as what I use to get!

There is something new on the label of the spool. They have a little diamond shaped notice with the words “with Dyneema” on it. I don’t know what this Dyneema stuff is but I’m thinking this is what I want for now on.

Good fishn to Ya!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I found it interesting that this new unknown knot was taught in Devils Lake. I was researching a trip to DL and came across a bait shops website that has a link to 10-12 different types of knots. I’m wondering if this is the mystery knot in question? If not, check out the website for Ed’s Bait Shop in DL and click on the link titled, “Knots”. It may be one listed on the page. Haven’t attached before so I hope this works!

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

here is another knot website fishing knots

I USE THE PALOMAR KNOT WITH POWER PRO AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.