Felonious abuse of a whitetail buck!

• tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

In the HRZ and Eradication zones here in Wisconsin, they cut the heads off of deer when you check them in. Ostensibly, the purpose is to study CWD…but the REAL reason is to create symbolic meat statues which epitomize the Wisconsin DNR…A BIG, FAT HEADLESS ENTITY!
    Harvested my third respectable buck of the year last nite and checked him in. As i was filling out the paperwork a doofus about 50 yrs. old said “do you want the horns?”
    I said yes, as it was a decent 2 1/2 yr old nine pointer which MIGHT have scored 120.
    My jaw dropped when the nimnull came back in the convenience store with a HORN IN EITHER HAND and said “here yuh go…yer all checked in!
    I blame myself for believing that people the DNR entrusts with checking in deer should know that when you want to keep the horns it means with the SKULL ATTACHED.
    Why, oh why, are there so many people on this planet who impact our journey thru life that are paralyzed from the neck up????

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

Why, oh why, are there so many people on this planet who impact our journey thru life that are paralyzed from the neck up????

I believe, that without them, the world would be a much duller place, as they can be a great source of humor as well as frustration!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya i know Ted, they are so slow that it might not be a good idea to put an electric bone saw in thier hands, it might cause too many on the spot problems for the DNR, sometimes the Dullest Nimrod Royality clan. If CWD comes to Iowa and they do the same then they will join the ranks of formentioned too. They do an awful lot of good for the whole outdoors system but how hard is it to do things right, its too bad that i know but they don’t. Welcome to Iowa Ted, you don’t have to check in your deer here, you can just simply take them home because you have paid for the tag already and its yours! What do they do when you check them in, make sure the tags on the deer? Here they just send you a letter asking if you’ve scored. They have accurate counts here so i can’t see why they have checkin stations, i’d like to know if im overlooking something.

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

I believe they saw Ted coming. I can’t believe that, that is horrible. I wonder what they are doing in Wisconsin, in Iowa you can voluntarily take your deer to a station to be tested for CWD but it only took a few minutes and they didn’t take the head. Wisconsin is DIFFERENT!!!!

birddog
    Mn.

So he cut the horns off at the bases leaving it in 2 pieces rather than with the strip of skull attaching the two??

BIRDDOG

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

WELL AT LEAST YOU CAN USE THEM FOR A COAT RACK OR PICTURE HOLDER OR SOMETHING ? THATS TO BAD, IT’S HARD TO FIND GOOD HELP THESE DAYS. DO YOU AT LEAST HAVE A PICTURE OF HIM (WITH HORNS ATTACHED ).

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Ted,
    Too bad with the head. you can’t mount anything if you want to????
    you should have told him you changed your mind, and stuck one of them squarely in his
    That would really fry me.
    Jack..

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

A taxidermist buddy says he can fix things up with this rack. The Wisconsin deer regs book is over 100 pages, with zones inside of zones, seasons inside of seasons. The season is open until early ’06 in what they call the herd reduction zone. Essentially there is no limit…shoot all you want, either sex.
    BUT you are required to take the deer to a check station where they put a tag on it and chop off the head, giving you another tag with a number you can look up on the internet in a couple weeks to see if deer has CWD.
    in Illinois they finally went to a system where you call in your kill in almost all counties. The ones in N. illinois which have shown cases of CWD you still have to check the deer in and a technician takes a quick sample. Why does Wisconsin cut off the whole head? Dunno.
    This whole deal is alienating many hunters and landowners. I believe the WDNR headed down the wrong road when they first became aware of CWD and are continuing down this path even though virtually everybody knows their whole tangent is way off base.
    I will become a card-carrying Iowegian by next summer and can hardly wait! Regarding Wisconsin deer hunting…a few years ago before CWD if you did ANYTHING like shoot 2 minutes late it was almost a hanging offense. Now there is essentially no limit, in many areas you can use rifles…essentially there is no “exit strategy” for resolving the whole CWD question.
    However, with essentially unlimited harvest in some parts of the state it doesn’t take a genius to see good hunting for quality animals will be a thing of the past within a couple of years.
    This knowledge and clowns that whack off the two horns and say “here ya go!” are knocking the slats out from under what used to be a top organization.
    I have been a cheesehead. I have been an Illynesian. Soon to be an Iowegian. From the outside this looks like the best thing so far.
    There is much to be said for Yoopers, folks from the Dakotas and those jackpine savages from Minnesota. all have their quirks.
    But this cheesehead plan to cut all the heads off of all the deer can only be the result of somebody dropping a giant dumb bomb on Madison.
    Sort of like the guy who beats his head against the wall ’cause it feels so good when ya quit!

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

WHOOOOOAAAAAAAA Who ever said Madison was part of Wisconsin??? That my freind is a foreign land upon itself, its only GEOGRAPHICALLY located within the boarders. That place more resembles a cross between LA (Lower Alabama) and The far right leaning Massachusettes.
    Maybe we should redraw the border at all the way across at Hwy 18 and make it all part of FIB land. After all, the rest of us deserve better.
    Sorry to hear about your deer.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Ted, i wonder how many educated and good officers in Wisc. are saying to themselves why are we told to do that plus I know how the sportsman are going to take this especially if they shoot a nice one, im sure the better officers feel that the people that are making up these bonehead procedures aren’t making any brownie points and i’ll bet its not an elected position eigther. I wonder how many mad and pis-ed off dnr officers there are because they have to do this or tell thier hired hands to do this. I wonder what thier doing with the heads after they have been tested, are they giving them to any organization or college for study in animal biology class and is this why they are taking the whole head or are they just throwing them away in the local roadkill areas. Seems like they want to much and is such a waste if they are.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

tedpeck, in a herd reduction zone the removal of the heads is not mandatory. I think your talking about the intensive harvest zone where they do take the heads.

As far as the DNR workers who man the stations, I can tell you that two years ago when they did testing at our store the DNR personnel worked their butts off. Cutting heads and antlers off (with the skull cap on) is not easy work without power tools. At that time they were not allowed to use power tools I think for liability reasons. That being said, I suppose there’s always going to be a few dummies out there no matter what occupation there is. It’s to bad about your expierience but I think most DNR personnel are very cognizant about not ruining a nice mount.

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

The nitwit who cut off my horns wasn’t DNR–he was just a convenience store clerk with every monkey’s dream of someday working up to branch manager.
    Re; Madison—I’ve heard it described as 9 square miles of insanity surrounded by reality.
    Was just up there yesterday dropping off a load of venison at Bavarian Kitchens to make into Landjaegers. Thye are pricey but do exceptional work.
    Then drove the beltline to go look at a dump truck. I swear the number of idiots on the road there increases by 4 percent every time up there(and I’m not counting me).
    Think I’ll go shoot a doe this morning and check it in at the same convenience store, telling the nitwit I want to keep the horns. That ought to pop his circuit breaker!

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Quote:

dropping off a load of venison at Bavarian Kitchens to make into Landjaegers.

DO YOU HAVE MORE INFO ABOUT THIS WHERE THIS PLACE IS?

LANDJAEGERS MMMMM GOOD, MY MOUTH IS WATERING JUST THINKING OF ONE. A FRIEND PICKS SOME UP IN NEW GLARUS (BEEF)GOOD STUFF.

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Bavarian Kitchens is in Verona, just west of Madison at the north end of FitchRona road. Their stuff is bar far the best processed venison I’ve ever had. They do everything…I’ll try to get the pohone number for ya.
    Dropped off 25.5 pounds of cleaned up venison (no tallow, etc) they add beef to it and I will get back 500 pr. of landjaegers in about 15 wks. Cost will be about $180….but they really, really are the very best!

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

found the phone number of Bavarian Kitchens: 608-271-1295. They have a website, but I dont know what it is…bavarian something.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

THANKS FOR THE INFO,

500 PAIR SEEMS LIKE A LOT FOR 25 1/2 LBS MUST ADD QUITE A BIT OF BEEF BUT SOUNDS WELL WORTH IT FOR ABOUT .36 APIECE.

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

If its in Verona, I’ll bet it is!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.