Deer are sure fat this year

• tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Just cutting up fifth deer. Fat over backstraps on mature doe is 5/8 ” thick. Every one of ’em I’ve butchered has been incredibly fat…and we’re talkin deer from both Wis. and Il. and four different counties.
    Wonder if this means an exceptionally cold/snowy winter? Wonder if the frost will hurt the rhubarb. Slid off the road the other day in fresh snow and almost mailed a nailbox. What? No, I’m on the computer. Sure, a propane torch will burn the fat off of a deer carcass. Sort of like burning the pinfeather off a duck. only you don’t usually set the garage on fire.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Stop Drinking in the morning!

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

I believe that’s just an old wives tale Ted…I think it just means it was a good acorn year……JMHO tho

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

acorn mast crop didn’t seem any bigger this year than last…if anything maybe smaller in my neck of the woods do to exceptionally dry summer.
    And…i’m not drinking! Maybe I keep repeating keep repeating because of the concussion. Got a scab the size of a dime on my nose. Everytime I shoot the muzzleloader it whacks me but good.
    My honest belief regarding fat does is that we’re in for an exceptionally snowy winter so nature can even out the exceptionally dry summer. the deer are fat ’cause they’re gonna have trouble getting after food. I dunno. What?

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Ted wipe your nose you have blood running down it and it is about to run into your coffee/whiskey combo

scottsteil
    Central MN

I have yet to skin a deer(any year or state) that doesn’t have a huge fat layer over the back. Not just this year, any year. These fat reserves should be common this time of year, they have been eating good all fall…and we had an exceptional year for food in the woods, specically clover. In Northern MN the red clover was still growing well into November, that is very uncommon. With all the rainfall we had this year, the deer fed very well.

krisko
    Durand, WI

I have to say all of the deer we had taken this year, bucks and does, had little or no fat. I hunt in northern Wisconsin too…you would think that they would have had something…I think Scott is right it is very typical this time of year to have a lot of fat on the deer. We usually have a lot but this year they seem to be pretty trim??? I think ours is from the lack of acorns…but they will survive, they always do.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Our corn fed deer in western Minn are usually pretty fat also. Sometimes a doe that had no or one fawn comes out of the summer in better shape. Also if they have had an early fawn.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Lets also remember the Mild winters we have been having. They are coming into Summerand out of Winter a lot helathier

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

My neighbor cleaned his 10 pointer a week ago and it hardly had any fat at all. We have more snow than last year this time but that dosen’t mean it couldn’t turn cold and stay that way in janurary until spring. The squirrels nests aren’t big like they have been in the past in cold winters. The squirrels can make a big nest in a couple of days so that might not be an indication for janurary. The body fat on deer might be an indication of snow cover but we have more snow now than last year and the neighbors buck was lean so i don’t know. The local deer have been out in mid day feeding in the local fields because of the snow cover when usually thier not this time of year, it might be a mistake in nature telling the deer and something else happening. Guess its a good idea too watch what happens and see if the deep cold comes in janurary.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Does and fawns typically have decent layers of fat this time of year. Bucks tend to have less fat due to the rigors of the rut. That is why the bucks tend to die in severe winters more so than does. In farm country there will always be plenty of food to build up the fat reserves to withstand the long winters. Up north, I have no clue what those deer could possibly eat to build up fat reserves. Maybe that is why the leave and yard up?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I heard that in the past wats and know its true, just didn’t have memory and speach engauged.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.