change out motor???

• fishinkatt
    N.E Wisconsin

I have an older Ranger boat that I like very much. It has a 150 Johnston motor on it. I’m wondering how big a hassle it would be to put a new motor on it? Say a 115 Yamaha. Anyone have any input as to steering, controls etc????
    thanks in advance
    Dick

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

I have never changed out a motor but if you decide to do it I sure won’t mind giving you a helping hand.
    Doug

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

not that big of deal instructions are good on new motors biggest deal plugging old motor holes and they are heavy and akward to handle 2 of us did neighbors boat in afternoon

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I don’t know how easy it is to do yourself, but I do know dealers charge a lot of $$$ to change one!

chazdotz
    Orangeville Ilinois

Iv’e done it a few times and it’s not that bad of a job. one thing that i found works good is to park the rear end under a tree so you can use a winch to raise and lower the motors. You can do it by hand but it’s nice to have the winch so you have both hands free.

Remember keep your lines in the water were all in this together.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

It is easy to do!!!

If you go from Johnson to Johnson motors………That way, the controls, fuel lines, cables are all the same, including the trim switch…….

If you go to a different brand of motor, understand that you will have to “re-rig” the controls, cables, trim, etc……..Which is still simple “bolt-on” items, just time consuming and much more expensive……

2Fishy4U

Similar to my issue. I have a 1998 Crestliner Fiah Hawk and a 1985 Evinrude 88 HP. The latter is the old 4 cyclinder carb type. Anyway, I was quoted $500.00 to remove the old motor and put on a new one. Because I plan on buying a new E-Tec 90 HP, and want everything perfect I suspect getting estimates from 3 dealers will be fine. The good and bad thing about the 88HP is it runs perfect, but the altenator is to small for the equipment I run, and I have been told there is no was to install a bigger alternator.

If anyone has an interest in the 88HP send me a personal E Mail. You can try it and if you like can pull the motor and controls, or my son can do it for you.

fishinkatt
    N.E Wisconsin

Doug

Where the heck did you get the fish your holding in that picture??? I bet Tricky let you hold it for the picture.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.