Best slug shotgun for deer hunting

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Do NOT shoot sabots through a choke tube! Even more important, do NOT shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel! Choke tubes ad the proper pressure to the slug as it leaves the barrel for optimum effect, which would be turning the slug for accuracy. The rifling on the slug provides that in a smooth bore. A rifled barrel has twists in it which turns the sabot which is a plastic two part casing that holds an hour glass shaped projectile. The rifling spins the sabot, which breaks away after leaving the barrel. Hope that helps a bit..
    Tuck

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

So this is the slug type and the repective barrels that are o.k?

Sabots – smooth bore & rifled barrel

Rifled slugs – smooth bore

Standard slugs – rifled barrel,rifled choke tube & smooth bore

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I don’t have any experience shooting sabots through a choke tube. Unless someone else chimes in on this, I would not.
    Sabots= Rifled barrel.
    Rifled slugs= smoothbore.
    Tuck

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I’ve shot sabots through a remington rifled choke tube.

It actually worked very well for me. I had good accuracy out to 140 yards. That was 12″ pattern, with a saddle scope mount.

I gave it up and went to the cantilver scope mount and rifled barrel.

Tuck;

WHY shouldn’t people shoot sabots through smooth bore/full choke guns?

WHY shouldn’t people shoot rifled slugs through rifled barrels?

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

So about the only thing you should shoot threw a rifled choke tube is a standard slug? I would assume that a sabot fired threw a rifled barrel is quite a bit more accurate than the standard slug threw the rifled choke tube.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

IMHO a sabot slug shot threw a slug gun with a rifled barrel is the most accurate and deadly slug gun you can buy

Quote:

I would assume that a sabot fired threw a rifled barrel is quite a bit more accurate than the standard slug threw the rifled choke tube.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Alright. Thanks a bunch guys!!!

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Thanks everbody for your info……Fleet Farm had a special on the Remington 870 Express with bird barrell….ended up buying a Hastings Paradox rifled cantilever barrell and Bushnell 4X scope……using Federal 1 oz. sabbots, the gun shot very tight groups at 75 yards (about 2″ dia. groups)….. I just have to turn the scope dials the right direction…..cost me a box of shells before figuring it out….and they are not cheap…..did purchase a turkey choke for the smooth barrel so now I have a combo….

Once again this site pull through for me

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Quote:

WHY shouldn’t people shoot sabots through smooth bore/full choke guns?

WHY shouldn’t people shoot rifled slugs through rifled barrels?

Gary,

The reason why is it creates a huge pressure spike. You can do it if you dont value your vision or your overall health

Gary, what Mack said!
    If you shoot a sabot through a smoothbore, it will tumble rather than spin, as there is nothing to impart twist/spin to the sabot.
    If you have a rifled barrel and shoot a rifled slug through it, at the very least, you will wreck your barrel! A rifled slug makes itself spin through a smoothbore barrel.
    Tuck

kroger3
    blaine mn

also keep in mind that different sabots shoot different. I shoot a browning gold deer hunter 20 ga with a canti mounted leaupold scope and was shooting core-lokt ultras and could not hit a paper plate at 100yards! switched to horaday 2.75″ polymer tiped rounds and can bench rest the gun to 200 yards and have my longest double slug gun kill at 195 yards!

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Rem 1187
    Hastings barrel
    Nikon 1.5-4.5 shotgun scope
    Remington copper solids 2 3/4’s
    1.5 inch groups at 100 yards off the bench.
    Not the fastest shells in the world, but will take accuracy over speed any day.
    Love the gun and will never sell it, but now we are rifle in Dunn County so the ole 7mm came out of retirement!

Since I came from a rifle zone to shotgun zone, I could not think of going to a “pokin’ and hopin’ type of gun-so took the extra time to dial a rig in. Now, within 150 yards, I am just as confident with the shotgun as the 7 mag.

Good luck!

Dustinwayne12

I have a mossberg 500 with a smoothbore barrel, it’s a good gun, does the job. though it does kick pretty well.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

In Wisconsin, do you HAVE to use a slug shotgun? Or could you use a .357 or .44 mag handgun instead

I know here in MN as soon as they changed the law (back in the 80’s) I never fired or carried that darn shotgun again! I love the hand gunning. Yes, you can scope them too…

Just asking as I don’t know the Wi law…..

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

Yes shotgun, handgun, or mussleloader

OldWolf

For my money the best Slug Gun on the market is the H&R UltraSlug in 12ga.

I recently helped my buddy and his son sight-in the son’s new H&R UltraSlug. It has a 3×9 Nikon SlugHunter with the BDC reticle and a LimbSaver Recoil pad already installed when he brought it home. The shop he bought the gun at bore sighted it as well.

Once we got the gun hitting the bullseye at 50 yards the young fella started shooting 3-shot groups with 3″ Winchester Partitioned Gold sabot slugs from a sandbagged benchrest. At 50 yds, he was consistently shooting a single jagged hole. At 100 yds he was still right on the bull by using the 100 yd. aim point in the Nikon Slughunter scope and he was consistently shooting loose cloverleafs. At 150 yds, he was still on the bull but the groups had opened to 2 1/2 inches. Due to lack of more shells he only fired one group at 200 yds and it measured just over 3 1/2 inches center to center!

Now I have a Mossberg 500 with a cantilevered rifled barrel and a 4x Burris Scope and I struggle to get 6″ groups at 100 yds. I am 64 years old and I have never seen a 12 ga. slug gun shoot anywhere near that good before . . . even with a rifled barrel and scope. I have no idea if all H&R Ultraslug guns shoot that good but this one sure did! I told the young fella that if he ever decided to sell or trade that setup I’d give him double what his Dad paid for it . . . no haggling involved . . . and I mean every word of that.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to In-Depth Outdoors OldWolf!!!

ozzyky
    On water

I just got a savage 220 and am very impressed. 1-2 inch groupings at 100 yards. (Hornady slugs) Had an 870 before that, that I’ll be passing on and I was very happy with 3-4 inch groupings with that at 100. Swift scope on both 1.5 X4.5

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.