Navionics Question

• slammin eyes
    Oakdale, MN

I have an X-15 with the MN-IA Navionics map chip in it. I was out of Mille Lacs the other day with a King Tuts Wiffer Map in hand. I noticed that my mapping system does not come close to being accurate as far as where even large stucture is. My plotter would show me going across a large flat and I was not even close to that location. I like the looks of the contours, but it is not where I am. Is there a coordination setting or something that I need to set in order to make it more accurate?? Has anyone else had the same experience??

Thanks in advance.

birddog
    Mn.

Slammin,

I had the same chip and same problems. The problem is the chip, it just isn’t accurate! I purchased the Navionics Hotmaps+SE recently, what a difference! This chip is in 1′ contour and when it shows you on the spot, your on the spot! It’s a big difference from the old map. The mapping tech. they used for that card you have is obsolete. There isn’t anything you can do to your settings to make it any better, contact [email protected] <[email protected]> and he’ll explain everything. Good Luck,

BIRDDOG

jldii

Navionics no longer makes that paticular chip. I had one go bad on me a couple weeks ago, and they replaced it with a Premier Gold North Region chip. All the same maps, plus many many more. My new chip has all their maps for Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, S.D., N.D., and several rivers including the Mississippi, Pepin, and several rivers in Wisconsin too.

Its a great chip!

Bob Bowman
    MN

Jack, what was the cost on that chip? I need to update/upgrade. Thanks,

jldii

Sorry, I wish I could answer that for you, but mine was a warranty exchange, which cost me nothing more than postage with insurance. My original Region 10 chip retailed for $199.

I’ve heard of a less expensive option for a chip if you are only interested in Minnesota waters, and run Lowrance electronics. Its put out by Lakemaster. 60 lakes, $99! But, it only works in Lowrance electronics, and only has Minnesota waters on it. I do not know if those include the river or are lakes only.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Jack, what was the cost on that chip? I need to update/upgrade. Thanks,

The chips are $199. Here is a link to Jolly Anne. There is a compatability link in there too. You won’t find the chip cheaper. If you do, call Wade and I’m sure he will match or beat the price.

Navionics Hotmaps Premium

By the way, it’s a sweet chip. I have the Premium and it is Dead Nuts on for Mille Lacs.

-J.

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

Navionics has a trade-in program as well. I think they may give you around $75 for the old one. Here is more info on trade-in program.

slammin eyes
    Oakdale, MN

Anyone have an idea if the LakeMasters are more accurate than the Navionics??? If so I am interested in possibly buying one.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I have both chips and they are both really good. I run the Lakemasters the most on Mille Lacs. Send me a PM if you want to see it.

Ron

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

My lakemaster chip ($99) is more accurate on Cass and Bemidji for the areas I’ve fished but Navionics ($199) has one up on Mille Lacs. Navionics has par information for Lake of the Woods and you need a separate chip, $99 (that by the way is incredible) for lakemaster. Lakemaster’s pool 4 wingdams are nice. They both are good chips, they have there place and they both could be more accurate on certain bodies of water. It’s still a lot more accurate then being on 12 mile reef trying to line yourself up between 2 structures that are farrrr away! My 2 pennies…. Kurt

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

You won’t be able to use the Premium chip in your X-15 but you can use the Navionics Hotmaps + SE (2nd Edition) which has an excellent map of Mille Lacs. You can also get a $50 rebate if you want to trade in that old chip. I have the rebate forms here. You just need to purchase a new chip and I can send you a form (other Navionics retailers should have them too if you want to purchase locally). The rebate makes the final cost on the Hotmaps Plus SE $79.99.

For anyone thinking about upgrading to a Premium chip, there is a $75 rebate for that one.

With the new rebate process, we provide a postage-paid envelope for the customer and you just drop the old chart in the mail with your proof of purchase. Navionics will send you the check. It’s a great deal.

jldii

I have been told, but have not seen for myself, that the Lakemaster high definition map of Mille Lacs is more accurate than the Reelbottom map that Navionics uses. Mike Wood has explained to me that Lakemaster did their own survey of Mille Lacs after rumor started going around that some of the datum used by Ron Westberg in making the Reelbottom map has actually datum from state and other map surveys. In my own experience on Mille Lacs, I can say that I have found more than a couple areas that are not as accurate as you might expect, and several stuctures are not even mapped.

I will have a chance to do a more extensive comparison before the season ends, and will share my observations when the time comes.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Jack, I would have to agree with you. I have both chips and they are lacking some detail on the eastside rocks in a few areas. They are both good, but one may show more detail than the other at times!

What would we do with out them? Remember navigating with loran not so long ago……….heck prior to that it was dragging the anchor and hitting bottom!!!!

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

I remember holding that anchor!

I have the lakemasters chip and like it, i’ve found very little thats not on it, primarily those spot on the spot places in the rocks are not well defined which suits me just fine!!!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Neither the Lakemaster nor the Navionics chip is perfect but both are very, very good for Mille Lacs. Both have been made via direct surveys, not third party data.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.