Worm Bedding

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I would like to here some suggestions for what brand of worm bedding everyone likes. I need to get something as I hate worms in dirt in the boat!!!

birddog
    Mn.

Make your own or buy the cardboard bedding. Shredded corrugated cardboard is a very good worm bedding. There’s no reason to add any food or nutrients to shredded cardboard bedding. When the cardboard is made they use a glue to hold it together, that glue is mostly made of animal by products which is a perfect food for worms. The shredded cardboard bedding also retains water well and settles in layers, which makes it easier for the worms to tunnel. You should find that your worms will be healthy, firm and grow large. Don’t add any food, just keep the cardbord damp and they’ll be good to go. Good Luck!

BIRDDOG

james
    Ankeny Iowa

Just one more thing . If you can grab a handfull of the bedding and squeese it and water comes out it is too wet. To keep them cool put ice in a sandwich bag and put it in with them.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

i agree , the corrugated cardboard seems to work like a charm .

chappy
    Hastings, MN

How do you shred the cardboard>?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Open wide, insert, chew vigorously!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Speaking from an experianced pro…

See Chappy? I help you out once in a while.

For store bought I prefer Frabil over the Magic bedding. It’s like shredded paper, where the Magic bedding is more like dust…(or like the inside of a vacuum cleaner bag ) Once my Frabil bedding is gone…I’m going to see Eye-Guide for some chewed cardboard.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Quote:

My mouth is’nt that big!!!!

3way
    eastern iowa.

steve i have a question for you or anyone who might have used this fra-bril leech bedding besides me. just wondering if there was someway i could have improved the length of time they lived. i bought 2# of small to medium leeches, put them in this rather wet bedding and kept them in the fridge until this weekend. they lasted 3 weeks and were very strong and healthy. not sure taking them from fridge to cooler and drop in temps did them in or not. i would really recommend them to anyone who was going on a trip somewhere where they are not that available. i had great service with mail order leeches out of mn. ordered them one morning and had them at my house by 1pm the next day. they have a food for them also. hopefully my next attempt i can keep them a couple more weeks. quailty leeches in iowa don’t run very long and the farther south you go the worse it gets. thanks for the ear steve

birddog
    Mn.

The big construction paper cutters…remember the ones from grade school with the big blade?? Cut it up into thin strips, then cut it the other way till you have approx. 1/2″ squares, let soak for a few hours in a bucket to soften it. The next step you have to pull off while the wife is gone!! EXTREMELY important that she’s away!! Get the blender out fill it half full with cardboard, throw some water in and let’er rip till it starts to break down. This next step is also VERY important…clean the blender and put back in the EXACT spot you found it! OR ELSE…

Really goes pretty quick and works well…just don’t get caught!

BIRDDOG

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I know a guy that used the blender for making chum…he is the only guy I know that now has a blender in his garage….

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

must be the same guy who owns a pink dress? .

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Nope not me…I don’t get caught!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

My mouth is’nt that big!!!!

Yeah, Ok…

Brian K, one for you!
    Some day, some time, you won’t know where or when, but I’ll get even. Musky Girl, are you with me? I will supply the photos, you can supply the magic!

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

“Musky Girl, are you with me? I will supply the photos, you can supply the magic! “
    You know I can’t turn down an offer to use my “magic” when it comes to the greater good of Briank. It’s about time I had a new supply of ammo

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

What does Putz have that I don’t?

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

A good friend in MG, Brian.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

I always used to use wet leaves but I would assume cardboard would work the same.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.