Hi Viz Mono ???

• ksdog
    Marion, Ks.

What type of Hi viz mono do you guys prefer for walleye fishing ??

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Berkley Solar Sensation in the 8lb test/6lb diameter gets my

Don Hanson

Stren original hi vis gold.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Berkly Solar Sensation in the 8lb test/6lb diameter gets my

Ditto!

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

It depends on what my presentation is.
    I use three kinds of hi-vis.
    There are a couple of reasons.
    1.In the boat it is easy to spot which rod I need.
    2.Different line diameters used for different presentations.
    Thin diameter to get light jigs deep with current and wind.
    Larger diameter to help the current sweep the jigs along the fishing zones. Or to throw light jigs shallow to change the drop rate.
    So I use pink-4lb test
    solar green – 6lb test
    yellow – 8lb test
    The maxima 4 lb test is the strongest 4lb that I have used…Stren 8lb is very visible in low light conditions. Sensation solar green is a good all around mono just keep changing it often…re-tye jigs often when fishing rocks but that is a given with any mono.
    Here is a photo of the arsenal.
    Good luck and tight lines.

mile832
    MN

Anybody try 6lb Berkley Ironsilk solar mint? I used it on the river Saturday and was pleased so far with it’s sensitivity and abrasion resistance.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I have only used it once…and it won’t get in my boat again.
    Too many break offs.
    Work too hard for bites to loose them to an inferior line.
    Just my experience.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The iron silk was one of the worst lines I’ve ever used for pitching jigs in the cold. Tried it twice (I’m a slow learner some times ) and would never consider trying it again.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I wouldn’t even wish that iron silk stuff on my worst enemies fishing rod . As you can tell, I was not impresed with this product

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Quote:

I wouldn’t even wish that iron silk stuff on my worst enemies fishing rod . As you can tell, I was not impresed with this product

Ditto.

I really like Berkley Solar Sensation , but I can’t find it anywhere around here . Does anyone know where I can order it from?

scottsteil
    Central MN

Iron Silk…LMAO I spooled up with it once and took it off at the end of the day. I thought it was some kind of practical joke or something.

I use Solar Sensation.. Per James recommendation a few years ago Good stuff!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Unless someone can tell us that Iron Silk has been reformulated or changed in some major way ( I hate talking bad about products but this is the honest truth here) that product is one of berkley’s poorest. Bad. Very bad.

The best place to find the Solar Sensation is at 4 Season Sports in Red Wing (651-388-4334) or if you’re not local, in Fleetfarms along the river. Rochester, Lakeville, Winona, etc. They usually have the stuff in stock.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

I guess it’s time for a road trip.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Tony

I’d be happy to go down to 4 Seasons and grab you some and ship it to you. Tell me how many spools and where to send it and consider it done.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I just bought some from Fleet Farm in Winona a couple weeks ago. They had all sizes too. I think it was just over $6 for a 300+ yard spool.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I like Stren Hi Vis Yello 4-6 lb, but lately I’ve been using the lime green fireline in 6lb test 1lb dia. I like it so far.

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Maxima Fibre Glow
    in 4 and 6lb test

sd507
    SE MN

okay, I admittingly have a lot to learn in the realm of fishing, only recently having the time and money to purchase the necessary items. can someone explain the advantages of hi-vis line? do you run clear leaders with it? I thought that it is best to not let the fish see the line. like i said, it may be a stupid question, but i’ve never fished with hi vis line.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I am not an expert..who is, but I have stayed at a holiday inn express. I have fished the river most of my life, my Grandfather fished it for over 60 years, my Dad is aproaching the 60 year mark. We have all three used Hi vis line over the past 20 years without any noticible detection by the fish. I have never seen the rivers water clarity such that you could see more than about 3 ft. Additionally, most of the hi-vis lines I have used are not nearly as visible once they get below water.

Just my .02

Don Hanson

J.
    Good question- using a hi vis gives the angler the advantage of seeing a twitch in the line before feeling the bite. This is very important in river presentations especially pitching jigs.
    There are certain situations when using a clear leader will help. I found this to be the case on clear water lakes.
    On rivers I have used hi vis side by side with an invisible line and the catch ratio was the same.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I’m with Don on this one. I have messed around with the clear/fluorocarbon lines as well and have not seen an increase in my catch rates with the clear lines. But everything has it’s day!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.