Backtrolling – gas Kicker vs Electric troller

• pyake

Thinking about pros and cons of a kicker vs electric transom mount trolling motors.

Thinking about getting a transom mount electric (70 ro 80# Vector) or gas powered 8 to 9.9 hp kicker. I have a 1750 Fishhawk.

There is an obvious difference in price with the electric being less than 1/2 the cost. Electric is also much lighter and easier to remove fromt the transom when not being used.

Interested in opionions…

fish4blue
    Holmen, WI

are you going to have heavy current flows to deal with? are you fishing in shallower water? will you be fishing big waters and need it for slow trolling? i’d suggest at least a 24 volt trolling motor. ah just buy them both!

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

I really like my 9.9 kicker it gives me the control I want and It will run all day pulling 3 ways.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

I own a Vector 70 3x. I do like the motor-love being able to turn the head easily, but feel that they’re a bit touchy. Mine broke down during very cold weather last fall while dealing with icy conditions. I don’t think I’ll be using it again in very cold conditions. Minnkota did send me the replacement part I needed no charge.I think your decision really depends on what style fishing you do the most of. How much are you going to use it?The other thought I have on electrics is always go to the largest you can afford, maybe even the three battery set up-it’s impossible to overpower your boat with an electric. Good luck

pyake

Has anybody been dissapointed in the amount of power or boat control in a transom mount 80# electric?

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

For back trolling–the Vector is the best I’ve used and will continue to use. Generally, most of the time, I think a Maxxum bowmount is a better all around tool. I use my Maxxum bowmount 90 percent of the time and the Vector 10 percent of the time. When I need it–it’s a great tool to have handy back there!

IF you are doing alot of forward trolling with cranks etc., the kicker is the best way to go.

Steve Fellegy
    NPAA #49

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.