Auger help!!!!

• buckmaster

Just looking for a little advice on my handheld auger is all. I have a 4″ handheld (older model, but I think it is a mora) and the last time I was out it went bad. Took me 15 min. and 6 pit stops to drill 3 holes, so needless to say I wasn’t able to chase the fish. Anyways, can the blades be sharpened or is it easier just to buy new? Also, could it be something with the shims or blade angle? It is really shaving ice very fine…….like the kind the kids get in a snowcone. Any advice or ideas on what to do or what it might be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Buckmaster

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

It sounds like you have dull blades. I tried to sharpen the blades for my Mora hand auger but wasn’t very successful. With most blades (filet knife, hunting knife) you want to get all of the burrs off the edge. With auger blades, you don’t. Only the top surface is touched so it leaves a burr along the bottom edge. That allows the blade to bit into the ice instead of simply shaving it off a little bit at a time. At least that’s the theory I heard. I didn’t have much luck with mine so I bought a replacement set. I don’t remember what it cost, but the ability to buzz through the ice again was well worth it.

And if you do decide to change blades, BE CAREFUL. One slip and your’re heading off to get some stiches. Those blades are nasty.

Rootski

John Luebker

I just replace my blades (mora 6 inch) with a new set ran about 17 dollars, man does it cut slick. I also know that a lot of bait shops will sell resharpened blades you just have to give them yours. But I had a friend do that this year and his doesn’t seem to cut as fast as mine and his is an inch smaller. But it still cuts better than his old ones and he paid about $6 for his…

buckmaster

Thanks guys………..that is kind of what I figured I was going to do anyways. Why mess around with trying to sharpen them and then putting it all back together to find out it doesn’t work. Glad I ask and more…….glad that you guys gave me some advice. Thanks again I appreciate it…

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Definitely sounds like a dullness issue. I did the swap and tried resharpened blades on my gas auger a couple years ago. The “new” ones felt sharp as could be, but did not cut at all! They put the wrong angle on it….I think. Went and bought a truely new set and it was like butter again. Sad thing, is I put the “resharpened blades” on and didn’t try it till I was 5 1/2 hours away at Winnie. Kind of frustrating!

herb
    6ft under

I feel your pain Steve. My old mora had I don’t know how many sets of resharpened blades that wouldn’t cut for squat. Finally started buying new blades and that was the cure. Many years ago you could go with resharpened sets and do pretty good. The job quality just isn’t there anymore it seems. Go with new and s)%tcan the old.

buckmaster

Again, thanks guys for giving me the advice. Seems to me that the new blades are the only way to go. Again, glad I asked about it first so I didn’t waste any time messing with the old blades. Appreciate it….

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That must be the problem I am having. Johnl and myself have the same auger and he smokes me I bought the resharpened ones and he has the brand new ones. Looks like I need to buy new ones real soon

rcruss
    Fountain City, WI

it’s almost shocking to see how many people are trying to cut holes with dull blades, myself included

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I just needed the workout Of course when it gets 18″ thick, my shoulders might not hold up

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I had that same problem with my 8″. I baught brand new blades, not the resharpened ones. and then I added a piece of cardboard underneath one of the blades, now it pulls itself down into the ice and don’t take much work to drill the holes. I even got cocky and raced a motorized auger and he beat me by about 10 to 15 seconds. The piece of cardboard is from the top of a battery package, like the ones that you get when you buy the 4 pack of what ever size. so energizer keeps my auger going down into the ice. give that a try and let us know how it works. mine works great and wish i would have thought of it earlier.

shane

buckmaster

Workout wasn’t even the word for what I was doing. It went way past that and then some. I was to the point where I wanted to smash the thing. All I can say is I am glad I was out where noone else was otherwise they might not of liked my words of choice. Talk about putting a damper on a guys day……a dull blade will do it.

Here I was thinking I was the only one using an auger that takes 5 min. to drill a hole…. I feel the pain peeps.

TBeirl514
    Covington Indiana

Buckmaster I hope your auger blade mounts arn’t bent. I have to tell someone every year not to slam the blades on the ice to knock some slush off the blades.Once that angle is off that auger is trash.GOOD LUCK TOM

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I sent two pairs to this dude along with a check for $20. Both pairs came back sharp-as-new, and I was very happy with how they turned out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.