President Bush Visit – Hudson Aug 18th

• sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

President Bush has scheduled a town hall meeting Wednesday, Aug 18th, 2:35 pm, at the lakefront park in Hudson. I can imagine security/secret service will be everywhere including the St. Croix River. SteveO and Stillakid – Any news on river access around Lakefront park?

Sandbar

krisko
    Durand, WI

Being a law enforcement officer and because we are all pitching in on this in the area…stay off the water and away from there. Unless of course you want a body cavity search My suggestion is to just not fish tonight or tomorrow up by there.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I just found out that he was visiting. My boat is in the shop so no chance of me being out.
    They’ve got side of the road all ripped up working on water lines or something. Won’t make for very good TV.
    The Dems were out last night canvassing pretty hard. Must be in response to the upcoming visit. Doesn’t matter what party you’re part of it’s pretty cool having a sitting Prez visit.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

SteveO
    I was told the road work being done by lakefront is for additional parking spots.

Sandbar

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I haven’t seen or heard anything about security measures but I’m guessing you won’t get close enough to hear him speak if you’re on the water. I’d like to see him just to say I saw the President but it’s not going to pan out for me.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

So…Having Junior in the area is a good thing?

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’m really looking forward to the visit, even if I’m only going to see it on TV. Bush has my full support.

John

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

President Bush will also visit St Paul after the Hudson stop. He will be speaking at the Excell around 5:30pm tomorrow. Tickets are still available.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

He is in Chippewa Falls on Wensday.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

So…Having Junior in the area is a good thing?

I’m not sure the area has anything to do with it but he’s certainly the right man for the office he currently holds. I’ve received political evaluation coaching from former OH state senator Bob McEwen and if you really dig up the facts and stay away from propaganda and mudslinging, Kerry’s case is incredibly weak. There’s a reason many democratic party associates are abandoning the campaign. Not the party, but the campaign. This should speak louder than anything else you’re hearing about. People in the know don’t want the Oval Office changing hands.

Kerry’s barking up a feel good tree and I can’t believe how many are falling for it.

I’m should quit here…….. I’m not here to campaign for either party but I am a strong freedom defender and Kerry hasn’t the values or the backbone to better our country. He’s busy telling all the special interest groups everything they want to hear to hype it all up. 73% of Americans are in favor of a constitutional definition of marriage and Kerry’s against it. That too should be a big wake up call for who’s going to get the support. Think about this……. no marriage definition will legalize incestial marriages! This isn’t about homosexuals vs. heterosexuals and America really needs to wake up and look at the histories of Sodom, Greece, and Rome to understand we’re walking the same direction as they did. But a few academical nut cases have instituted a philosophy of “No Absolute Truth” that is now dominating our college campuses. No one is learning about consequence because there’s “no absolute truth”. Kerry supports this!

Do any of us believe terrorists can be negotiated with? Just make friends and put it all behind us? 9-11 wasn’t a retaliation……. it was an attack!

We need a leader that understands preservation of the American family with solid morals and values. GWB is the better choice in matters that really count.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Kerry won’t win, here is my take on the situation:

If Kerry wins the presidential election, the democrats beloved Hillary Rodham Clinton wont be able to run for 8 years. I think the Hillary window would have closed by then.

The Dems find a fairly strong person in Kerry, but not strong enough to win. They all scream “anyone but Bush”. If I were Kerry that wouldn’t really give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

By the way, last summer President bush gave us a visit here where I work.

It was quite an experience. I suppose I was about 25 feet from him during his speech. I could have gotten up to the front and maybe even shaken his hand, but decided to stay back a bit to lean against a pole knowing there wouldn’t be any chairs and we would be standing for at least 2 hours.

Some coworkers refused to go because they despise president Bush. I would have gone even if it were Gore, or Clinton speaking. How many people can say they got to see the president of the United States speak live?

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

AMEM Kid, Kerry is a joke. Its only a matter of time till his campain will be in the dumpster. Words mean things. “I voted for this before I voted against it ” how can you vote for anyone who can say that!

Keith
    NE Iowa

Kid you are right on
    I couldn’t have said it any better

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Amen……..

The polls keep trying to put Kerry in front…….But when it comes down to the wire……..The average “undecided” will always lean for the existing man……….

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Quick Update – Went to Hudson fishing last night. Learned a few details about the Presidential visit. The stretch of river fom the 94 bridge to the depot bridge (swing bridge) is currently closed until 6:00 pm today. Anyone on the islands between the bridges had to leave by midnight last night, even the people that have been living on their boats this summer.

Sandbar

Wadsworth

OK, I’ll be the guy that speaks up and tries to interject a little common sense into this.

Kerry is a Joke?

The real joke is the latest adds by the Bush team, with a select group of vietnam vets claiming that they “served with Kerry” in Vietnam, and that he is lying about what he did over there. As it turns out, what they mean by “served with” is that they were in the same country as Kerry at the same time, in fact, when questioned about it, they admitted that none of them actually served on the same boat as Kerry. That same group also did the same thing to John McCain in 2000, claiming that he lied about his service in Vietnam, lied about his experiences as a POW, and actually started a telephone campaign in the south, calling voters and reminding them that McCain actually had a black baby, and that we don’t need that kind of person in the white house. (McCain and his wife actually adopted an asian child), but oh well, whatever works. Oh, but wait, the republicans didn’t have anything to do with that add (yah right!

Special interest groups? two words- [censored] Cheney, make that four words, [censored] Cheney, Ken Lay. COME ON!

We’ve all seen first hand how unfit, unqualified, and untrustworthy the Bush administration is, and those who choose to turn a blind eye to it will continue to do so no matter what.

Is Kerry the perfect candidate? No, that was John McCain in 2000, but apparently name recognition means more to voters in our country than qualification for the job. But Kerry is most definately the obvious choice in this election. And as far as “the polls keep trying to put Kerry in front”, if I call one hundred people, and sixty say they’ll vote Kerry, and fourty say they’ll vote Bush, This just in, Kerry is in front, no matter who is trying to do what.

And one more thing-

the last time I checked, Bush admitted that evidence tying Iraq to the 9-11 attacks never existed, so I think it’s about time for Bush supporters to stop claiming that because John Kerry is against the war in Iraq, he’s against “fighting terrorism”.

So let’s hear from some others on the Ditch Bush side of the fence to balance things out.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Steve,

Wadsworth

And this guy is part of the same group that tried to do the same thing to John McCain in 2000, so if you want to take what they say as gospel, have at it, they’ll cut anyone’s throat who might try to oppose Bush, they’ve done it before, they’ll do it everytime and pat Bush on the back as they’re doing it.

The bottom line is, Kerry won 3 purple hearts in combat, say what you want, they don’t just hand them out to anybody who says “I did this, give me a medal!” And for that reason, the Bush team will do anything they can to discredit it, as they did to McCain in the primaries in 2000.

By the way, check the guy he’s doing the interview with. There is no political figure in America more radical than Pat Robertson, no one even takes that guy seriously. And yes, I am a practicing Christian.

One of the other guys in that group who claimed that Kerry lied about his experience was a doctor who actually removed shrapnel from Kerry after he was injured in combat. The guy now admits it happened, but the shrapnel wound was “superficial” BIG Fn DEAL! He was injured in Combat, he took shrapnel! It simply amazes me that they even try to make an issue out of this. If they were smart, they wouldn’t even allude to Kerry’s combat record, and would simply hope it doesn’t affect the election too much.

Lying about service?

how about Daddy getting junior into the “Air national guard” during Vietnam so he wouldn’t get sent over. What about his records? Have they come up with them yet? What do they say? Unless they say that he was a privelaged rich kid who’s daddy bought him out of having to go to Vietnam to fight, then they are lying about his service.

My family who enlisted to fight, and spent they’re time over there didn’t have that luxury.

hof
    Rochester, MN

I think we better realize that this is politics and will bring about some heartfelt reactions. Let’s settle down and realize that not every one is going to agree on this.
    Take the talk to PM if you need to, but let’s stop this before it gets totally out of control.

Thanks,
    Mike

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

It simply amazes me that they even try to make an issue out of this. If they were smart, they wouldn’t even allude to Kerry’s combat record, and would simply hope it doesn’t affect the election too much.

The FACT is that the Republicans did not bring this as an issue. Kerry did.

Jon Jordan.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

John (I am guessing this is your first name from your e-mail address)

I hope you did not take my post as an attack on you personally, I did not intend it to be. We all have our own opinions and one of the great things about this web site is that we can discuss hot topics like this and not have the post get out of hand. Everyone is entitled to there opinion and even if I do not agree with you I do respect yours.

I am still genuinely curious where you are getting your info from.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

We’ve all seen first hand how unfit, unqualified, and untrustworthy the Bush administration is

No, but I’ve heard about it every five minutes from partisans like Carville and Moore. Is this the camp you’re aligning yourself with, or do you have something specific that you’d like to discuss? Maybe if we give him enough time, Moore will make another “documentary” about how GW was the third shooter on the grassy knoll (Cheney was, of course, the second in the culvert beneath the overpass).

If you’re willing to discuss specifics, how’s about:

Quote:

“I oppose abortion personally. . . . I believe life does begin at conception. I can’t take my Catholic belief, my article of faith, and legislate it on a Protestant or a Jew or an atheist.” — John F. Kerry

Hey, that’s cool… let me try:

Quote:

“I oppose killing your grandmother and spending your inheritance on hookers and vodka personally. . . . I believe life does end at natural death. I can’t take my Catholic belief, my article of faith, and legislate it on a Protestant or a Jew or an atheist.” — John “Gianni” W

Let’s hope the Abortion Party has something good against Bush other than loosely created allegations of misconduct and rumor mongering if they hope to get votes from anyone but the counter-culture radicals. Until then, Kluck Fairy.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Quote:

President Bush has scheduled a town hall meeting Wednesday, Aug 18th, 2:35 pm, at the lakefront park in Hudson. I can imagine security/secret service will be everywhere including the St. Croix River. SteveO and Stillakid – Any news on river access around Lakefront park?

Sandbar

Yup, It’s time to nuke this post. My intent was to talk about the presidents visit and the affect it would have on access to the St. Croix river. I should have realized it would turn into political debating.

Sandbar

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

How about if we all reply to every post with our personal political and religious viewpoints? Wouldn’t that make for a wonderful fishing forum – NOT! I have seen this happen to forums on other websites and it pretty much wrecks the whole Website. I would much rather see separate forum(s) for politics/religion/etc so that I could more easily choose to ignore or participate in these controversial topics.

Dave Gulczinski

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Yup, It’s time to nuke this post. My intent was to talk about the presidents visit and the affect it would have on access to the St. Croix river. I should have realized it would turn into political debating.

Sandbar

Sorry about that sandbar. You weren’t looking for the commentary I took the liberty of adding and yeah…… this one got “cooking” just a bit. The unfortunate thing about your post is the timing. If it weren’t an election year, with only 75 days remaining until the choice must be made, it would’ve stayed focused but you know,…………. we’ve been getting hammered about this for a long time and I don’t know about you but it gets tiring and I do believe we tend to get a little short-fused about things near our hearts.

My apologies for turning the post in the wrong direction sandbar.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.