Smoked walleye

• vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I’ve got a bunch of big fillets brining right now after a slaughter up in Ely this weekend. Looking to smoke them tomorrow. Normally I rub them down with brown sugar right before entering the oven pre-smoke. Was thinking about a touch of ground clove as well. Anyone ever done this? Sounds good eh?!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you put some in front of me, I’d try it. I would never smoke a lean flaky fish though.

Oil from fat is the only thing that can keep it moist.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I’ve done it many times before, and its fantastic! Gotta give it a shot sometime. I serve it cold.

sandmannd

I’ve had smoked walleye and it is very good. I personally don’t smoke it, too good of fish just in the pan to smoke. But if you have a bunch and want to, I see no problem with it.

tbrooks11

Clearly not a waste to him if he enjoys them!

SYDNEY1
    Albertville

Sounds great, don’t listen to the “haters”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Smoking adds some flavor just like a good fish coating when frying to an otherwise tasteless fish.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I find smoked walleye dissipates over a longer period time, improving its effectiveness as a fertilizer. Don’t smoke the cheeks though. The raccoons prefer those raw and should be placed well away from your garden.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think its hard to beat just about any fish smoked. Smoked some perch years ago that turned out pretty good.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Yes, smoked walleye is very good. Don’t know about the cloves, but a y spice that you like or want to try will be just fine. My brother in law thought I was nuts smoking walleye, until he tried them. I don’t do it often, but it is a change from the basics of cooking walleye

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sometimes when I play Walleyeball (Similar to baseball, except walleye is substituted for the ball), when I really get a hold of one the people say, “He smoked it”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Sometimes when I play Walleyeball (Similar to baseball, except walleye is substituted for the ball), when I really get a hold of one the people say, “He smoked it”.

That made me laugh out loud.

Totally mean and uncalled for…but funny as ‘ell!

Home run Pug! Home Run!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

17K worth of posts and I finally said something relatively funny. Yeah, me.

desperado

Quote:

17K worth of posts and I finally said something relatively funny. Yeah, me.

^
    that there might be the funniest yet

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.