Precision Trolling Data

• CJ

In my ongoing adventure to becoming a better fisherman each time I get on the water, I purchased a lifetime membership to Precision Trolling Data. I am not saying that I’m not happy with my purchase, because I’m sure it will help, but the line size and type options leave much to be desired. All of my trolling rods are set up with 20lb Suffix 832. There are supposedly a few lures that have a braid option, but I haven’t found any yet. The most common line option is 10lb Trilene XT followed by 10lb Trilene FL. My questions are as follows: Is 20lb 832 a good choice for a main line when trolling? Should I switch back to mono? Does anyone have this software and know of a way to figure out what depth to troll when using braid? I was really expecting more choices for the price I paid for the software. Live and learn I guess.

TripleA
    Blaine

10# trilene Fire Line is the same diameter as #10 sufix 832. I would re-spool to 10# 832 to be accurate, but I believe there is a way to adjust for the line diameter using a formula.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

If you take a quick look over at Rapala.com they have the 832 to mono conversion numbers.

10# 832 -> 4# mono (same as fireline)
    20# 832 -> 6# mono
    40# 832 -> 10#

There will be a small decrease in your depth curves for the 20# 832 vs. 10# but it won’t be much and in all honesty there are other factors such as speed, line counter accuracy, lure tuning, etc. that will most likely create more uncertainty about your depth than error caused by continuing to fish your 20# 832. When it’s time to replace the line you might think about switching to the 10# 832 but until you replace the line I’d say you will be fine with the 20#

For what it’s worth I actually run 14# 832 on my trolling rods. Also, if you do decide to respool your line counters need to be completely full in order for them to be accurate so I fill 90% of the spool with mono backing and then add 200-300 yds of 832 at the end.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

suffix #10 is .008 diameter as is fireline #10. However, suffix #20 is still only .009.

The mono equivelant #10 on troll data is .014 diameter.

Berkley fire to mono conversion is then .006. Since your difference in fireline vs #20 suffix is .001, in comparison that is 16.6% of the difference between Berkley fireline and Berkley mono.

So for a given feet back on the chart, find the difference in depth between #10 mono and #10 fireline. Than take 16.6% of that and that is how much higher your #20 suffix will ride.

your difference in .008 and .009 going from #10 to #20 is minimal.

CJ

Quote:

suffix #10 is .008 diameter as is fireline #10. However, suffix #20 is still only .009.

The mono equivelant #10 on troll data is .014 diameter.

Berkley fire to mono conversion is then .006. Since your difference in fireline vs #20 suffix is .001, in comparison that is 16.6% of the difference between Berkley fireline and Berkley mono.

So for a given feet back on the chart, find the difference in depth between #10 mono and #10 fireline. Than take 16.6% of that and that is how much higher your #20 suffix will ride.

your difference in .008 and .009 going from #10 to #20 is minimal.

Thanks for the info. My problem is that my device isn’t showing any options for #10 Fireline. I don’t know if it just hasn’t updated or if this is normal. I’m using an android device and downloaded the app yesterday. If I had a #10 Fireline option, I could easily figure this out.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I can’t speak to the App since I don’t have it, but even for the old paper copy of the Troller’s Bible (Precision Trolling book) probably only 1/4 of the lures actually have both the mono and superline curves. It’s not perfect, but for lures that only have mono curves a ballpark estimate is going to be to just add 10% on to the mono curve depths.

CJ

By adding 10%, you’re saying it will dive 10% deeper using braid with the same amount of line out, correct?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I switched from 10# XT to #20 pound spiderwire stealth on my trolling rods this year and have found that there really isn’t much of a difference between the stealth and the 10# fireline dive curve in the depths I typically worry about the dive curve.

As an example, I was running a bait the other night and used the setback for a depth of 6 feet as I was in 9 FOW and wanted it up off the bottom a bit. Was landing a fish and strayed into shallower water that was around 5.9 feet according to the graph, and before getting back a bit deeper I was snagged up.

Based on that highly technical research, I think it is pretty close. Might see a bigger difference if I was running more than 40 feet of line but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I have the same #20 Spiderwire for my braid trolling rods.
    I feel it’s about the same as #10, and I make no conversion. It would be fairly close in my opinion.
    Jack

CJ

Ok, so I feel like a huge dumb arse. I thought the 10FL in the line menu stood for 10 Floro, not 10 FireLine. I’m sorry for all the confusion.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.