Brakes for a trailer

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I ran into a great deal on a tandem pontoon trailer with brakes. How much does it cost to get the truck wired for this? I’m not sure it’s needed but it might be fun to take the toon out on Leech for a day.
    Otherwise it’s just in and out of the lake spring and fall.
    Thanks guys!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

What kind of brakes? Electric or Hydraulic? Hydraulic should not need any additional equipment to your tow vehicle.

FDR

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

The trailer should have hyd brakes, I would also suggest hyd free backing brakes. The free backing has a plate that moves shoe in so you do not get the dragging when backing. You will also need a hyd actuator on the tongue of the trailer. Call Redneck Trailer Supplies for help and parts 1-877-973-3632 I think the store you will contact is in St. Cloud.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

They’re hydraulic. What are your thoughts on the necessity? It’s a 23′ foot boat.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Quote:

They’re hydraulic. What are your thoughts on the necessity? It’s a 23′ foot boat.

How fast do you want to stop? Trailer brakes are never a bad thing but they can create some hassles and are one more thing to maintain. Basically you need to see what the tow vehicle is rated to tow without needing trailer brakes. If the weight of the pontoon exceeds the vehicle manufacturers rated limit, then you should have brakes.

Boone

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Some of the roads around Leech are pretty hilly. I wouldn’t mind having them if the deal was good enough. I don’t know the specifics of your toon, but I have seen some pretty decked out 23′ Premier toons with twin outboards,ect,ect. There was a guy up on LOW that fished tournaments out of his. It had everything you would need to catch walleye. I am not sure how well it would do rigging though.

FDR

briansmude

I’m not 100% sure but I believe MN law says any trailer over 3000lbs has to have brakes. With hydraulic brakes you shouldn’t need anything for your tow vehicle unless it has a five wire connector.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Thanks guys. I tow with a Suburban. I’ll get some qoutes and drive it around as is and see what it’s like. I have rented those scissor trailers in the past, not a big fan!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I have rented those scissor trailers in the past, not a big fan!

Ish. Yeah, those are no fun. My M-I-L found a cheap bunk trailer for her 22′ pontoon a few years ago. It’s nothing special, but it hauls the pontoon to the lake in the spring and to storage in the fall. No brakes, and we get by just fine, but if I was regularly towing it, I might feel better with brakes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.