Bunk trailer sticking

• theduck

My boat has a bunk trailer. The trailer is a 2008 and is in great shape. The problem is having to use a lot of throttle to trailer and unload the boat. If I back too far into the water the bunks do not work right and the boat will tilt upon leaving the ramp. When unloading the boat I usually have to get wet because I have to back so far down the ramp. I have seen a few products that attach to the bunks and are suppose to help glide the boat on and off easier. These are pieces of a slippery composite material that helps the boat glide on and off easier. They are short pieces and you attach 3 to 5 to each bunk. They look really slick and would probably solve my problem. My concern is that since the boat would not be resting on the entire bunk if the pressure points created by this small elevation could cause damage to the bottom of my boat. Has any one here used a product like these? There are few options out there I am using this one as an example.

Cabelas

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Yes I’ve used the full strip ones and they definitely made a difference
    Bring along a can of silicone spray and hit the strips once in awhile when the trailer is empty when your in the parking lot

igotone

try spraying bunks with dawn dish soap B 4 loading cheap fix

the_grump
    Le Center

Next time you have the boat off the trailer, spray the bunks down with silicon spray or pledge. Just don’t unhook the bow strap until your in the water

nord

How many bunks do you have on your trailer? If you have just two, sometimes they are too far apart, but that would be just for loading.

Palerider77

Otherwise, you can make sure your bunks are wet prior to loading.

theduck

Even when I wet the bunks it takes quite a bit of throttle to get it off the trailer and to load it. It just seems like I am really gunning it to get off the trailer (3/4 throttle some times). Not that it doesn’t load and unload I am just looking for a little smoother on and off solution with out having to buy a roller trailer.

jasonjabe
    La Crosse/St. Charles

I put 5 on each bunk of mine…first time i loaded…drove boat right up to winch…shut motor off…walk to the front of the boat and the boat slides all the way off the trailer…luckily nobody behind me…they work too well and be careful the first time!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Just put 5 on each bunk of my trailer. It loads like a dream and I’m hoping it saves the carpet. Re carpeted the bunks beforeputting the teflon pads on. Seems to sit on them nicely. Just space them out and you’ll be fine.

MikeLarson

Back up to get them wet and pull the trailer up to were you want them

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.