Boat Stereo?

• HYBES
    SE MN

I want to replace my radio/CD player in a Lund Fisherman. Wonder if there is much difference in a “marine” receiver vs a car radio receiver?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

One will last through a rainstorm, the other wont.

The major difference is rubber gaskets where the stereo meets the mounting surface as well as a screen that is meant to handle the moisture.

You won’t be saving any money by not buying a marine and buying several car stereos instead.

OH, and with the option of a CD player, it’ll be sealed for moisture whereas the car cd inlet will not be.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, there is a difference. Just the exposure to humidity alone will wreck a car stereo in short order. The high-quality marine units are sealed better and have better shock proofing than a car unit.

Someone had installed a car stereo in a boat I bought a few years ago, a Crestliner Sportfish. It didn’t work and I found out why. Even though it was behind a waterproof flip down cover, the inside was rusted all to nothing because the exposure to moist air.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Another thing to check (school of hard knocks here) is the MAXIMUM angle the stereo is recommended to be mounted at.

Mine is just a few degrees of mounted in the dash and the cd player skips frequently. After sending it in and having it return with a note saying there was nothing wrong with it, it was attributed to the angle of installation.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

Another thing to check (school of hard knocks here) is the MAXIMUM angle the stereo is recommended to be mounted at.

Mine is just a few degrees of mounted in the dash and the cd player skips frequently. After sending it in and having it return with a note saying there was nothing wrong with it, it was attributed to the angle of installation.

do you listen to union music……….or catfish music?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The Amazing Cherry Bombs.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Your favorite “channel” is Cat Stevens………..

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Grievance Clearwater Revival Rod “Shop” Steward” Bachman Turner Overtime

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Boat….stereo….I can’t wrap my head around that. I go out on the water to get away from that and would rather listen to the 4 stroke all day!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

There is nothing (imo) like the sound of a good Toby Keith song playing on those glass calm nights wearing a Tee shirt on the way back to the resort.

Those days are coming soon!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Grievance Clearwater Revival Rod “Shop” Steward” Bachman Turner Overtime

good one!!!!!!!!

gordonk
    mpls

Have you ever noticed that the only two genre’s of music that people “assume” you’ll want to hear are either country / western or classic rock? A nice quiet day on the lake and some numbnut across the way is blasting out the Eagles, or something about “Your cheatin heart”.

I have yet to have a Vivaldi lover blast me, or a lover of Pete Seger. My dream is to buy a beautiful cabin on a secluded lake and drop some obscure Eurotrash [censored] punk band on the world… with the dial set to 11.

gordonk
    mpls

You really mean I can’t say “[censored]”?

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

If you have a smart phone I would look for a marine unit that has an auxiliary plug and than pick up a RAM mount to put you phone on the dash. That way you can listen to pretty much anything you want.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

You really mean I can’t say “[censored]”?

Auto censor. She has blindfolds on.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

If you have a smart phone I would look for a marine unit that has an auxiliary plug and than pick up a RAM mount to put you phone on the dash. That way you can listen to pretty much anything you want.

Just use bluetooth like i do.

If you marine stereo or even car stereo doesn’t have bluetooth. Get a bluetooth FM transmitter. Mine goes from my truck to my boat all the time.

Used to do the plug in method, but eventually my plug in quit working.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.