9 Years Ago Today

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I started taking people out flathead fishing. They didn’t know it but they were my test clients. I wanted to see what guiding would be like without anyone knowing I was tossing around the idea.

Man has time gone by quickly! Seems like just last year I was netting a little flathead for Mike W and now he’s a P2 walleye guide.

Many things have changed over the years. Bullhead length laws have changed, allowing the use of suckers as bait when caught in the same body of water. The MN DNR Work Group. And there are more changes to come I’m sure.

I’ve had the opportunity to take out newspaper reporters, Senators, CEO’s, news anchors and assorted tv hosts including my favorite Jason Davis. This fall watch for a sturgeon fishing trip on the St Croix with Travis Frank of MN Bound and our own Colie Crawler. I think you’ll be laughing through this one.

But the most fun guiding is from people that might not want to fish for cats full time, but want to give it a go with the hopes of having their picture taken with a big one. The newbies are awesome! I still get goose bumps when someone that’s seldom fished before hooks into a good one. There eye’s are the size of silver dollars hanging on to the rod.
    It’s a great feeling!

Anyway, thanks goes to Ed Stear for reminding me that today was the day and Thank You to all the guests that have put up with my stories and ramblings over the years.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Congratulations BK!

It’s been fun watching your guided cat fishing business unfold.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Really?

What’s next, the anniversary of the first day you wore pink?

PS, Congrats and proud to be one of those wide eyed clients trying to hold onto the rod with one of those monsters hooked up!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Coincidentally about 9 years ago I went flathead fishing with you to test my interest. It didn’t take.

BTW If you are out of business cards with penciled in Frito Lay mustaches let me know. I would be happy to make more.

robby
    Quad Cities

BK, we don’t put up with your ramblings by any stretch. We love them. This site would not be the same without you! Happy Anniversary. Even if you only chase those bottom feeders.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Great post BK! It’s a lucky man to do something he loves so much for a living!

Here’s to many more years!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

congrats BK!!!!!! nope no smart alec comments either!!!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

My son still talks of the trip and his big fish. Thank you Brian. He graduates from college next weekend. Time goes by quickly.

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

Congrats Brian!!

wkw

Congrats BK !
    WKW
    P.S. Keep those witty comments coming,too !

stuart
    Mn.

Hell BK,it was you that taught me to pose with a cat.Always have a soft spot for you.Nine years sure went fast.

bigpike

Thanks for sharing BK, your like good stink bait: you just get better with time.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Congradulations Brian, someones got to show people what a real pull is on the other end of the line.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

congrats > stepping out and taking that chance is not easy

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Congrats BK! I would bet there is not one of your clients that could say they had a bad time fishing with you. Keep up the good work and fun times here on IDO.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Congrats,
    And as a reminder, the Biggest Walleyes of your fishing career, and some of your clients’ Biggest Walleye were during Flathead fishing with you…..

Go figure, Who ever quessed that would work….
    Jack

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.