Fishing Line Question

• walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is all set for the MN opener and the engines are running well!

So each year I ask myself the same question. Should I use this line? I’m not talking about the stuff on the reel (of course I throw out that stuff), I’m talking about the line still on the spool and in the box. It seems I throw out a bunch of line each spring because I’m paranoid that it’s a year old and will bust up on me. Granted I don’t know how long it’s been in a warehouse or on the shelf when I buy it but do you use the stuff or throw it out? I mark the box with the date when I buy it and even have some stuff from 2012. What do you do?

BBKK
    IA

It will take a decade to go bad.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Great question. I have had some mono on my reels for several years and havent had any problems, but i have always wondered myself.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

If tournament fishing, because of the head game part of it, I wouldn’t use it. Anything else use it.

munchy
    NULL

If it’s kept out of direct sunlight, fluorescent lighting, moisture, and extreme temperatures it will take a long time to go bad. A good place to store it is in a paper bag in a closet.

But even if it is brand new I will occasionally test it to see if it still has its strength. Tie a 3 foot length to larger hook or something smooth and sturdy and the other end to a fish scale. The strength before breaking should go beyond what the lb test lists on the label. If it breaks below the line rating or the knots continuously fail I usually throw it out….or give it to a buddy.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

IMO, it would depend if its been stored indoors, climate controlled or sitting in your boat or a vehicle subjected to multiple heating and cooling or possibly exposed to the sun.

In the first case of being inside, I’ve used line that’s 4-5 years old with no problem.

If it’s Mono and been on a reel spool I’ll change at least once a year. Even my spare reel spools as they’ve been subject to cool & heat cycles in the boat. For the superlines (Fireline, Spiderwire & other braids) I’ll look them over. If they’ve been on the rod and in the water, then back in a bag I’ll replace them annually. The filler spools of superlines stay home inside.

In the case of sitting in a vehicle or in a bag in the boat I’ll generally keep for 2-years, but usually used up by then. Oh, ya, I rarely ever leave any filler spools of line in a vehicle.

Go Fishing and enjoy.

deertracker

I have green mono on a spool that is now clear. Probably 3 years old. Havent broke a fish off yet.
    DT

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Line can be good for several years just depends on the climate its been subjected to. The first rule is tie a knot and test the strength 2nd if it passes that is throw a few casts with it make sure it doesn’t have to much memory from sitting the reel or line spool to long. Number one rule is keep line out of sunlight! If you don’t wanna replace line each year spool them with a braid I prefer suffix 832 and use a fluorocarbon leader of your choice and you only need to replace the flouro leader. Im going on my 5th year with suffix on 5 of my reels and it actually gets better each year it no longer vibrates the rod when coming through the guides the water softens it up. And I fish several walleye tournaments per year and don’t have any problem with my line.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Use it! No problem if it was stored out of the sun and heat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.