Suffix 832

• tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I finally broke down and bought some to try this year. Most of the fishing I do is pitching jigs or jigging in 5-15 feet of water, possibly deeper though. The gentleman at Gander said there is no need to tie a leader on. The lake I fish is pretty stained ,visibility is probably 3 feet, so I’m not that concerned with stealth. I got the olive colored line. What are your thoughts on if I need a mono or flouro leader. Would I want mono just to give me a little stretch? Thanks in advance.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

What rod will it be used on?

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

It is a medium light rod. Does have a pretty sensitive tip.

BBKK
    IA

I very rarely tie a leader on, only when fishing very early in the year when the water is very clear. Otherwise I tie straight to the jig and hit the bottom 2′ of line with a black sharpie (I use yellow and lime green braid).

You’ll love the 832.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’m a big proponent of stealth. Just always works better where I fish. 3′ clarity, 3′ leader of your choice, the ML should handle the playing ability of braid fine. Since I retie a lot though I’ll usually just go with rod length to accommodate.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

in water like ole miss at pool 4, no. in water like mille lacs, yes fluoro.

I didn’t see a need in canadian stained water (lac seul). but did on Rainy (only cause it was suggested by people who fished it more than me) didn’t try it without a leader though.

Don’t see the need for mono either, no usefull stretch in 3-6′ of leader material. would rather have the stealth and abrasion resistance of fluoro.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

I didn’t see a need in canadian stained water (lac seul). but did on Rainy

Has yet to be proven, this year will experiment, but few years back I ran a crimson red vanish flouro Leader bouncing cranks side by side with my father who had on braid up in one of those dark stained Canadian lakes and out fished him 10-1. I’m talking the big girls too. Yes the dink 14-20″ up in the shallows would bite everything and anything on an anchor rope ,but its my belief the bigguns require a lil more.

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

I like a flouro leader for those inevitable snags and hang-ups…it is easier snap the jig off and re-tie on the flouro than on the 832.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I use a floro leader all the time with jigs. Does it help catch more fish… no ideal, but there is no down side as I see it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Here’s a different thought about leaders.

I’ve been using them for certain braids that are notorious for poor knot strength when tied to lure. I’ve found that the line to line knot is far superior with these newer braids.

Then all you have is the reliable mono or floro knot to your lure.

I also do like a little stretch in my lines because I feel it’s a little more forgiving in big fish situations.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I like a floro leader. Still no stretch.

DougSportsman
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I very rarely tie a leader on, only when fishing very early in the year when the water is very clear. Otherwise I tie straight to the jig and hit the bottom 2′ of line with a black sharpie (I use yellow and lime green braid).

You’ll love the 832.

I like that idea. So it’s safe to assume the ink does not damage the line in any way. Great idea.

BBKK
    IA

No, not at all.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Quote:

I like a flouro leader for those inevitable snags and hang-ups…it is easier snap the jig off and re-tie on the flouro than on the 832.

x2

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

832…it’s at a store and coming to my house soon. I’m going to go with it on one set up this year. Also going with the power pro super 8 slick on another. what the H…
    I’ve used braids before and have always used 3 to 4 ft of Flouro leader. And, I like the Albright knot for the line 2 line…. because as mentioned above, I 2 like the Flouro to lure vs Braid 2 lure connection

blufloyd

I fish light lures etc. I found 832 to be worst line I ever used. Ended up tossing unused spool of 15 lb or so.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

What didn’t you like about 832?

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I fish light lures etc. I found 832 to be worst line I ever used. Ended up tossing unused spool of 15 lb or so.

I’m throwing 1/16oz tube jigs with 6# 832 right now and love it! It is, by strength, comparable to 10# PP.

What did you use 15# for? Shakey head bass? Seems pretty heavy for walleye.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.