“Asian” Carp

• kris_brantner
    My river

Check out this load of crap…

The Minnesota Senate has approved legislation that would change the name of the invasive species Asian carp, a name some consider offensive.
    The Senate on Monday OK’d a measure that would rename the fish as “invasive carp,” the Associated Press reports, and senators pushed the legislation downstream to the House. The measure was part of a broader bill related to state use of natural resources, which the House had approved without the fish name change.
    State Sen. John Hoffman, DFL-Champlin, is among the lawmakers who have said that referring to the widely maligned fish as “Asian” was hurtful to some people.
    “Caucasians brought them to America. Should we call them ‘Caucasian carp?’ They have names,” Hoffman said last month. “Let’s call them what they are.”
    Minnesota environmental officials are locked in a battle to halt the advance of the invasive species into the Mississippi River and Great Lakes ecosystems. Asian carp are considered a threat because they are voracious eaters, crowd out native species and reproduce quickly, the Environmental Protection Agency says.
    The USGS, the Department of Natural Resources and other entities are trying to slow down the carp’s move into Minnesota’s lakes and rivers.
    It was a troubling sign last month when scientists found evidence that Asian carp have spawned much farther north in the upper Mississippi River than previously recorded – near Lynxville, Wis., about 20 miles south of the Minnesota border, the Star Tribune reported.
    That’s 250 miles upstream from previously known reproducing populations, and the spawning would have occurred even farther upstream, the Associated Press noted.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

State Sen. John Hoffman, DFL-Champlin

Well I’m not exactly happy with being lumped in with White tailed deer either.

desperado

EurAsian Milfoil is doubly offensive

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Kind of like the City of Minneapolis renaming Columbus Day to ‘Indigenous Peoples Day’. You can’t make this stuff up. And we elect these people to represent us.

stuart
    Mn.

You would think that they would have more pressing issues to occupy their time.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

Quote:

State Sen. John Hoffman, DFL-Champlin

Well I’m not exactly happy with being lumped in with White tailed deer either.

Have you thought how the white tail deer feels about it though BK?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Have you thought how the white tail deer feels about it though BK?

Now that would require a grant of some kind wouldn’t it?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What’s sad about it is that Hoffman is a self loathing boob who is the one trying too hard. Seriously, do you think a person of Asian person descent is losing sleep over the name? Do people even associate Asian people with asian carp? I know I don’t.

With people like this I often wonder if deep down, subconsciously, they are racist and this is how it manifests.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS I didn’t vote for him.

desperado

Quote:

You would think that they would have more pressing issues to occupy their time.

warning curmudgeonly rant

I’d just as soon they pack up, go home, and leave us the aich-ee-double-hockey-sticks alone

thus endeth the rant of curmudgeon

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Great. There goes Swedish meatballs. Son of a

munchy
    NULL

Hopefully they can figure out a new name for white bass and white crappie, I’m tired of being picked on!

desperado

the term “brown trout” is particularly disturbing

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

the term “brown trout” is slightly disturbing

German Brown is even worse!!

Fighting Sioux-fighters across the country are offended

Buxom Blonde-The Buxom family is livid

Maybe ‘asian’ has run its course? Perhaps we should go back to oriental? They sure don’t seem offended when either one is on a restaurant sign.

desperado

Quote:

German Brown is even worse!!

hmmm maybe “German Chocolate” Trout

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Man they better spend a few million replacing all the offensive signage around the state then…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I used stop my car and weep every time I crossed the Paleface River on the Iron Range.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

No outrage from women? Large mouth bass? Am I right fellas?????

fishspike

Not only do I go over to Wi on Sunday to buy liquor, now I buy gas. Mn use to be cheaper but anyone else notice Wi is now cheaper. But hey they solved the name of a fish!!!!! Okay I’m done thanks for the rant.. Back to the IDO VIDEOS

desperado

Welcome to Wisconsin
    Buy Beer
    and Get Gas

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

No outrage from women? Large mouth bass? Am I right fellas?????

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Quote:

EurAsian Milfoil is doubly offensive

Personally, I find the term ‘Senator’ and ‘Representative’ & ‘Law-maker’ offensive. Let’s rename them ‘Overpaid, hypocritical Bums’ …as long as it doesn’t offend bums or hypocrites! Especially since they don’t have to abide by any of the laws they create, anyway!

kris_brantner
    My river

This coming from the same state that accused the t wolves of being racist because they had too many white players…

tracker2
    Bloomington

Guess we need to work on changing the name of Red squirrels and Black squirrels since we certainly don’t want any of those groups offended either Oh – an ddon’t leave out Dutch Elm either

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

…and BLACK bullheads!

I’m going to have to apologize every time I hook one up for bait.

Is there anyone in favor of changing the name of that group of carp?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Canada Goose?
    Spanish Fly?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

…and BLACK bullheads!

I’m going to have to apologize every time I hook one up for bait.

And you don’t even acknowledge the yellow and brown bullheads. That’s even worse.

Please don’t change the name of Polish Sausage. That would ruin half my inventory of jokes.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.