marine grade plywood

• tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

I am rebuilding my transom and need some marine grade lumber. Anybody know of a place in the metro area that carries it?

tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

Or maybe someone who could do the transom for me? I am learning on the fly but i want this to be done right.

deertracker

Menards had some marine grade plywood on sale but I assume you need dimensional lumber?
    DT

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Menards had their’s on sale a week or two ago.
    not sure when the sale will end or if it already has.
    was in the ad in the paper.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

You could check Scherer Bros, there is one in Shakopee kinda by Canterbury and Valley Fair.

jerry b
    western WI

I’ve a project that I’ve thought about using marine grade plywood- – BUT, I know nothing about it. Can somebody enlighten me on the difference between treated and marine grade?? thanks- -jerr

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Marine grade has no voids or very few in the wood, That is the reason for it`s strength and why it does not rot like regular plywood. Voids in the plywood is what causes it to rot moisture gets trapped in the voids and never dries out.

Treated plywood is full of voids and does not have the strength of marine grade, that is why it`s treated it would rot in a heart beat.

tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

Every time I go to Menards they usually have green treated but not marine grade. I’ll have to double check that cuz there is a Menards a couple blocks from my house.

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

I bought a sheet of 3/4″ Marine grade plywood at Menards ( in Janesville WI)last week. They also had 1/2″ and could special order 5/8″. I walked right past it a couple times until an employee there pointed it out to me. Phone first to make sure they have it at the Menards by you.
    How much do you figure you need ?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Marine grade is special order at most Menards. Some carry a limited stock in the spring/summer, but I have found most have to order it.

Without knowing the construction details of your transom I can’t say, but are you sure plywood is the right material? Are you looking for just something to cover the transom, or are you rebuilding the transom after it has rotted?

Treated LUMBER may be what you want for a high stress application. It is rot resistant and there is no risk of delamination.

Grouse

desperado

Isn’t treated lumber in contact with aluminum a big no-no ?

BBKK
    IA

Chemically treated, big no-no.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

You will also need to use fasteners that are compatible with the materials being connected to prevent corrosion due to material composition.
    Most likely stainless, but you may need to use aluminum rivets in some places. Fastenall has some longer ones in quantity boxes.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

Treated LUMBER may be what you want for a high stress application. It is rot resistant and there is no risk of delamination.

Grouse

Not only a big NO NO it will literally eat aluminum and is a very week wood. Not for strong structural use.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I had to redo my transom this year. I had to special order from menards.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Grouse

Not only a big NO NO it will literally eat aluminum and is a very week wood. Not for strong structural use.

Interesting. Didn’t know this. Is this due to the switch away from arsenic-containing solutions to the copper based solution? I had heard that reacted with regular steel, hadn’t heard it also reacts to AL.

What is everyone using for marine applications now? Is there a marine grade LVL?

Grouse

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.